AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I really like my Polk DB1212  http://www.polkaudio.com/products/db1212 , but my Samsung HTIB receiver just won't cut it for a receiver anymore.  I was hoping to find a budget stereo receiver to power that sub and connect that into a newer receiver's subwoofer input. What should I look for in the budget receiver, or should I just bite the bullet and sell (don't want to do this) the sub and buy a powered one? 

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Receivers don't power subwoofers. If you want to keep it and use it in a home environment, you need to power it with an amplifier.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Looks like that subwoofer is ported, and in a box that size it's probably ported very high, to give you high SPL but not much depth. Car subs aren't designed to run in larger areas.

I wouldn't bother, buy a home cinema subwoofer. I bet it's ported to around 40hz.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522089/hooking-a-car-sub-to-stereo-receiver-help#post_24469974

Looks like that subwoofer is ported, and in a box that size it's probably ported very high, to give you high SPL but not much depth. Car subs aren't designed to run in larger areas.

I wouldn't bother, buy a home cinema subwoofer. I bet it's ported to around 40hz.
The tornado scene from Oz The Great and Powerful was scary with the sub, and the volcano eruption in Journey 2 was ridiculous, but it's little disappointing in music (rap), I was hoping an amplifier could solve that problem. I did manage to see a PSW12 for $60, that a good deal?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts