AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba 55HX70 HD ready monitor(not even out of the box yet, waiting until I move.) My plan is to utilize an HTPC for some gaming and Mp3 boxes and some VCD's, I have an older creative 5X DVD DXr-2 DVD player as well I may use.

Anyways.. my plan is too take the RGB out on my Geforce 2 card and convert them to component.

Will A Time warner box accept a compnonet Hi Res input and be able to shoot it out to the second HD component input on my TV?

If this is off base what is the best way to get my computer hooked to my 4:3 monitor with no RGB input?

And what resolutions are best when hooking up to a 4:3 HD monitor

And am I missing anything else?

Thanks!!! This is a great forum!!

Alan Cooke:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
If the Time Warner cable box has a pass-through port, then yes, it should work.

As for hooking it up, you will need a transcoder to go from RGB -> component. The Key Digital one is the most popular here due to price and output quality.

I'm not familiar with your specific TV. What resolutions does it accept?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It accepts 480 P and 1080, i I can't find documentation saying it supports 720P.

If the timewarner box does not have a pass through what is your suggstion for hooking it up to a HD ready monitor?

Thanks

Alan Cooke

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
You probably want to do 480p then, since 1080i probably gets squished?

You could simply get a switcher to handle the multiple cables.

A simple, older style mechanical RCA switcher will work. You want something with the yellow, red and white jacks. Newer electronic switchers or those in your receiver usually will not have the bandwidth.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I would need a switcher able to handle both Component from my computer and coaxial from cable output, and then use the time warner box as one singal output to my TV.

This is becomeing complicated, I guess i will hope the Timewarner box ha sa coupl eof inputs. If not I guess I will stick with 640*480 resolution and buy a progressive scan DVD.

Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I was confused.... I can hook up the VGA to component output to my prgressive scan input not my HD input on my TV...

I should not need any HD tuner in between? Is this right??

Thanks,

Alan Cooke

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.