AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Pardon my ignorance but I thought I would ask YOU collection of experts before I attempted to do this.

I want to hook my brand new Samsung 1080p Series5 5500 Smart HDTV to my older but reliable Harman Kardon HK 3490 receiver. As I stated in the subject line the TV has a digital audio out optical port in the back and the receiver has a digital audio in optical port in the back of it. The real question that I guess I have is can I still use this connection IF I only have the option with this receiver to hook up stereo sound and NOT 5.1 Surround Sound? Is this connection ONLY for surround sound and not for a standard two speaker setup?

If I can go the tv to receiver using the optical cable route will all the tv sound then come through my receiver? As in for example if I play my XBOX 360 will the sound then come through the speakers hooked up to my receiver with no other connections needed? Will the same hold true with my Direct TV that is connected via HDMI to my TV? Will the sound then come through my hooked up speakers and receiver?

*Of note: there is no way for me to go component as those ports in the back of the television are being used for my old school style XBOX 360 that lacks a HDMI port in the back of it*

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully answer......

again I'm sure it's Mickey Mouse amateur questions for you all around here but you would be a great help if you could take the time to help this poor old fool

thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AVR = Audio Video Receiver

ah ok.....makes sense

yeah I knew going in when I purchased the receiver a few years ago that it wasn't or wouldn't be surround sound capable.

The room I am hooking the tv, receiver and speakers up to is a small room

The two speaker hookup via optical connection is perfectly fine by me

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1468451/hooking-a-hdtv-digital-a...ciever-digital-audio-in-optical#post_23208313

Don't overspend. A modern avr and more speakers is what you need

by the looks of your pics I need to live with you....preferably the bar area

HA!

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucktub  /t/1468451/hooking-a-hdtv-digital-a...ciever-digital-audio-in-optical#post_23208326

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1468451/hooking-a-hdtv-digital-a...ciever-digital-audio-in-optical#post_23208313

Don't overspend. A modern avr and more speakers is what you need

by the looks of your pics I need to live with you....preferably the bar area

HA!

I don't even have a pic of the selection in the bar
That mean you're not discriminating? Or you just like the turntable/stereo setup?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1468451/hooking-a-hdtv-digital-a...ciever-digital-audio-in-optical#post_23208347

I don't even have a pic of the selection in the bar
That mean you're not discriminating? Or you just like the turntable/stereo setup?

No, I just like bars....HA!

Plus the rest of your setup pics in other rooms look good enough so I'm willing to assume the setup in the bar looks sweet as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.