AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i made a monumental blunder. I have a 34XBR910 on the way and was expecting to use it as the display for my HTPC, but then just noticed this statement regarding the DVI port:

Quote:
The DVI-D terminal can accommodate a copy-protected digital connection (HDCP) to other devices (such as digital set-top boxes) that have compatible interfaces. The DVI-D terminal is compliant with the EIA-861 standard and is not intended for use with personal computers.
Does this mean i can't connect my HTPC to it via the DVI port? what sort of crap is that???

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Sure you can connect your HTPC to the XBR910. You just need to learn how to use this . I hope you have the time, patience, and the technical savvy to learn electronics engineering.

Alternatively, if you don't want to deal with Powerstrip, you can cancel the XBR910 order and get a Princeton Graphics, Monivision, Proton, or CTX widescreen computer monitor instead. They are intended for use with personal computers . Good luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually already have a Monivision 6552SW that the XBR910 will be replacing. works fine for VGA, but i was disappointed with the image quality via component, and i needed a display device that would do both vga/dvi and component well. (PC/DVD over VGA/DVI and satellite/game consoles over component.)

On that note, if anyone wants to buy a barely used 6552SW cheap in the SF Bay Area, contact me!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You are asking for the best of both worlds. I am not sure if you will get that from the XBR910 in the area of HTPC/DVD over DVI since the XBR910 was not designed to work with computers. Just because a display has DVI or VGA does not mean it will be plug-and-play with computers. For plug-and-play, the display should have VESA-compliant electronics to handle computer signals which the XBR910 doesn't have, despite its exorbitant price. Without these electronics, you need specialized video card software (i.e. Powerstrip) to make the video card send a signal that can actually be accepted by the display.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcblack
Fear not, hamsterhuey, quite a few people use their computer w/ the 910 (kharvel just loves his monivision :)). Some use component converter and some use dvi. Here is one thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=350751 , 1920x1080 via dvi is apparently possible.
I never said it isn't possible. I said that it takes a lot of work to make the set-up work. Read my quote:

Quote:
Sure you can connect your HTPC to the XBR910. You just need to learn how to use this . I hope you have the time, patience, and the technical savvy to learn electronics engineering.
Please make sure to let hamsterhuey know how much work it takes to make the set-up work. Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahhhh, that link is what i was looking for. i know it's a lot of work to set up, but i think the XBR is a better overall solution for me than the Monivision, for what i have. and im not pretending it's going to be a perfect solution, but good enough for now while HDTV is still in flux.

thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally posted by jcblack
Fear not, hamsterhuey, quite a few people use their computer w/ the 910 (kharvel just loves his monivision :)). Some use component converter and some use dvi. Here is one thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=350751 , 1920x1080 via dvi is apparently possible.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hamsterhuey
i know it's a lot of work to set up, but i think the XBR is a better overall solution for me than the Monivision...
It's really not all that much work. And the engineers at CR say you did the right thing if you want the best HD picture quality.

The key to getting Powerstrip to work is, first of all, having a supported graphics adapter. Many people have Radeon, and you can get one fairly inexpensively. Then decide on what resolution you want. I'll admit, if you want to have multiple resolutions, it becomes more of a pain. But if you can decide on 540 or 720, and stick with it, it's not too hard to get going.

The first screen you see on your new TV will be cut-off on all sides (overscan is set at the factory). So the second key is the "lock total geometry" checkbox. This allows a 'resolution within a resolution'. Say you select a 960 x 540. You lock the geometry and pick a resolution that's a bit smaller. 10 percent smaller would be 864 x 486, for instance.

I think the reason why it seems complicated is that there is so much flexibility, everyone does it a different way. Some people are using component, some are DVI. Some use the TV's settings in the service menu, some use powerstrip, some both. But there are quite a few Radeon over DVI to XBR910 (or similar Sonys) that are around here. You can have it running in an hour.

--Dale--

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
To do 720p or 1080i you may also need recent Catalyst drives (See the HTPC/Powerstrip thread for the latest details on different revisions) and WinXP.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is there a post or a guide somewhere which specifically relates to the 34XBR800? I have never used power strip and need to start from the ground up. That guide seems a bit intensive for a first time user.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
I sure love my Samsung 213T that does 1600*1200. A tad pricey, but wow.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
FWIW, I suspect that the configuration of custom timings and resolutions should be about the same for both the 34XBR800 and 34XBR910. Please see my latest remarks here , JyushinX.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
*sigh*

you DON'T need powerstrip with the 910!!

if you have a radeon, just use rage3d.com tweaker to enable the 720P resolution.

simply use the 720P, because the 910 can take than in!

very simple....

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
ps2eva, The idea to use rage3d instead of powerstrip is to reduce complexity? I like simple! My goal has always been to make minimal use of the service menu so as not to screw up the other inputs to the TV. To that end, I have created a resolution within a resolution with powerstrip to eliminate overscan. Before I experiment with rage3d, can you let me know about it's capabilities in this regard? In other words, I'm trying to find out if I need more service menu geometry work with rage3d?

--Dale--

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Alotta folks seems to like 720p on these Sonys. The slight problem for me is it cannot be re-routed past the DRC circuit like regular 540p/1080i (unless you use a 720p rez @ 1080i timing). And I sorta prefer the less processed look of the progressive 33.75khz bypassed signal on my 34xbr800, regardless of any scrolling bar issues. But that's life. :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADU
Alotta folks seems to like 720p on these Sonys. The slight problem for me is it cannot be re-routed past the DRC circuit like regular 540p/1080i (unless you use a 720p rez @ 1080i timing). And I sorta prefer the less processed look of the progressive 33.75khz bypassed signal on my 34xbr800, regardless of any scrolling bar issues. But that's life. :)
ADU,

The XBR910 always converts to 1080i, right? Certainly when the input is 720p. I also thought the XBR910 did a conversion even if the input was already 1080i. I thought that toggling HDPT would not convert, but I coudln't tell the difference. Can you lend any wisdom?

--Dale--

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Here's my understanding. In the normal config, all signals are passed through the MID/DRC digital processing circuits. This keeps the PQ more uniform and allows the geometry to be tweaked a little better for the different aspect ratio modes, etc.

The MID/DRC circuits will not up-convert all signals to 1080i though. It will convert all signals from analog to digital (and then back to analog again for display on the CRT), but it appears to do it as follows:

Incoming Signal -> Actual Display Mode on Screen

480i -> 480p via DRC Progressive mode

480i -> 480p via DRC Cinemotion mode with (Dynamically adjusting?) Cadence-based Reverse Telecine.

480i -> line-doubled 960i via DRC Interlaced mode.

480p -> 480p

720p -> 1080i

1080i -> 1080i

The HDPT bypass only re-routes any incoming 33.75khz 540p/1080i signals, so they do not pass through the MID/DRC circuits.

HDPT has no effect on 15.75khz-480i, 31.5khz-480p or 45khz-720p signals coming in. They continue to go through the MID/DRC circuits as before and get converted as shown above.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.