AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those that know more than me,

I thought I knew what I was doing; however, I recently finished building a house and now I'm struggling to hook up my systems. In my living room set up I had one optical cable running from my TV to my receiver but now that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Would I not need separate audio cables connecting the blu ray and yet another connecting the cable box to the receiver? Do I actually need an optical cable connecting the TV to the receiver? Seems like it should just be an HDMI for a monitor out and the audio should be connected from the source (cable/blu ray) to the receiver.

If thats the case, in my theatre room, do I need an audio cable connecting my projector and receiver? Do I just need two audio cables for the blu ray and cable box?

Looking for some guidance here, thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

Confused

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,018 Posts
Listing what equipment you have will make this process MUCH faster as we can research your hookup options and tell you the most efficient method which will net you the highest quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, equipment is as follows.

Living Room:
-Onkyo 626
-Sony blu ray player
-Comcast X1 box
-Audio Technica LP 240 turntable
-klipsch 1650 speakers (5.1)
-Boston Acoustics sub

I have two speakers on the patio I'm trying to run on zone 2. I also have a connected speaker in the kitchen currently set up as a rear surround that im getting no sound from.

Theatre:

-Older Denon receiver (I think it's an AVR- can't check till I get home)
-Sony blu ray
-X1 box
-Project record player
-klipsch 1650 and 2650 speakers (5.1)
-PL 200 sub
-Mitsubishi HC4000 dlp projector

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,018 Posts
Living room system:

HDMI from blu ray player to onkyo 626.

HDMI from onkyo 626 to HDTV.

Just two cables. This will give you audio and video to and possibly from your tv, to and from your reciever. Plug all of your components into your receiver. The receiver should use HDMI to send videl to your TV when appropriate. Your cable box should be HDMI as well. If it is not, call them up and ask for one. ALL HDMI DEVICES SHOULD BE PLUGGED INTO YOUR ONKYO 626, AND ONE HDMI CABLE FROM THE 626 (out) TO YOUR HDTV.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Theater:

If your denon reciever is hdmi, so the same as you did with your living room setup.

If your Denon is not HDMI, you are going to need to run toslink or optical from your blu ray and cable box to the reciever. Then component cables for the video to your reciever and component cables from your reciever to your projector.

·
Registered
Marantz SR 7009/Anthem MXR 720; GE Triton 3; GE Supercenter XXL; GE SuperSat 3; GE SuperSub XXL
143 Posts
Don't forget, if you want to have sound coming out of your TV when the homecinema is OFF, be sure to connect the HDMI cable in the HDMI ARC plug (on the TV) ;)

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Fantastic! Thank you for the help! I'll take another look today but while I do have sound it does not seem that I'm getting 5.1 surround with an HDMI only set up. It could be a setting issue though.
Did the changes work for you?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts