AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently added a Denon DVD-3800 to my system. So far

I have had no problems with lockups or other erratic behaviour. I am curious to know how others have hooked up their 3800. I have a digital input into my receiver (Denon 5700), as well using the analog 6-channel external input. Do you let the DVD player do all the Dolby/DTS decoding, bass management, etc. and run it through the the external analog inputs, or do you use the digital feed? Do you use the digital feed for movies and the analog for music?


Initial comparisons show a more detailed presentation when using the DACs in the player, but there are very few movies that have soundracks sophisticated enough to reveal the difference. There are some advantages to using the digital hookup... the ability to apply THX post-processings when desired, the option of applied Dolby Pro-Logic to a 2-channel signal, etc.


Interested in hearing your experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
I find that I lose too much bass when using the analog outputs for movies. I do like the D/A conversion of the 3800, but I don't want to constantly monkey around with my channel levels.


Supposedly it was a design decision to attenuate the LFE channel's output by 10dB from the 3800. It's supposed to correct for the fact that many DVD-A/DTS Audio discs are actually 10dB too loud when recorded, so it's a bit overwhelming when played back at normal levels.


Movie soundtracks are recorded more consistently, so the lowered bass output of the 3800 then becomes a bug that way.


Sooo....like you, I use the digital outs for movies and the analog outs for music.


Best,

Brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,285 Posts
Brad,


I'm curious as to why you don't permanently "correct" the LFE channel's minus 10dB output on the 3800 by lowering all the other channels 10 dB through the 3800's menu so they match the Subwoofer channel and then just run your main receiver's volume 10dB higher? It seems like this should do the trick for you!


I use the 3800's analog out exclusively for movies and music and it's superb. I don't yet have a sub, though, but what I describe above should work - per the manual and what others have stated. However, as raroot says above, I guess you do give up post-processing in the receiver when you stay with all analog out of the 3800. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pnichols
Brad,


I'm curious as to why you don't permanently "correct" the LFE channel's minus 10dB output on the 3800 by lowering all the other channels 10 dB through the 3800's menu so they match the Subwoofer channel and then just run your main receiver's volume 10dB higher? It seems like this should do the trick for you!
You're right, of course. I could do this. I guess I just haven't experiemented enough to see that the analog outs please me more (sound-quality)-wise than the digital outs.


I guess I would still manipulate the LFE level at the receiver as I switch from music to movies & back again. I wish the manufacturers/encoders would just get their act together. I think the "relative" complexity of surround-sound setups is a major stumbling block to the adoption of the DVD-A/SACD formats....
Quote:
However, as raroot says above, I guess you do give up post-processing in the receiver when you stay with all analog out of the 3800. :)
Hmmm. I don't know what post-processing I do.... I think individual channel level adjustments still apply when using the EXT IN on the Denon 3802.


Ahhh, if we had all the answers, we'd never frequent the AVS forums!


Best,

Brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bspachman
I find that I lose too much bass when using the analog outputs for movies. I do like the D/A conversion of the 3800, but I don't want to constantly monkey around with my channel levels.


Supposedly it was a design decision to attenuate the LFE channel's output by 10dB from the 3800. It's supposed to correct for the fact that many DVD-A/DTS Audio discs are actually 10dB too loud when recorded, so it's a bit overwhelming when played back at normal levels.


Movie soundtracks are recorded more consistently, so the lowered bass output of the 3800 then becomes a bug that way.
Probably a result of the music mixers not understanding how the LFE works. (There's almost never any reason to have an LFE in a music recording, but that's another rant.) By design, playback gain for the LFE channel (not the subwoofer--the LFE channel) is 10 dB higher than for the main channels. This is to allow reproduction of extremely loud bass effects without compromising dynamic range in the main channels. Movie soundtrack mixers monitor through systems that are set up that way, so their LFEs come out at the right level through standard systems. But if you don't know about this gain trick and monitor the LFE as though it were going to be reproduced with the same gain as the main channels, it will wind up 10 dB too loud when played through a standard system.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top