AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I hook up a JVC 30k D-VHS machine, and only use the optical digital sound out, and the component video out, will I get picture and sound when I play back a normal or S-VHS tape. That is, will it output stereo sound through the digital optical jack when playing a regular VHS tape, and will it output a 480i component video signal when playing back a regular VHS tape?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Nope. The JVC 30K is brain-dead in handling digital vs analog audio. Analog sound only goes out the analog jacks - not the digital jacks. No conversion.

Try explaining to your wife why she has to switch receiver outputs when she switches tapes in the machine..

Video is fine, though. I use component-only to view regular VHS tapes.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it output regular VHS tapes at 480i? My Television can only handle 480i,480p and 1080i, it cannot handle 720p. Does the JVC 30k require or support 720p?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Quote:
Does it output regular VHS tapes at 480i?
Yes, regular tapes can be output to 480i.

Quote:
Does the JVC 30k require or support 720p?
It supports but doesn't require it. If you do happen to record in 720p (ABC), you have the option (via the menu) to output it to 1080i so your set will accept the signal.

Troy

·
Registered
235 Posts
I wouldn't use the 30K for regular VHS tapes the image it will output will look so god awful you won't be able to tell what it is your looking at. The 30K must digitizes and scale the image, because when I viewed a regular VHS tape on it looked pixelated and blurry. For regular VHS viewing I'd stick with a S-VHS or VHS VCR the image will look much better.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
silver71,

I do not know what you are talking about but 30K plays VHS and SVHS tapes with very good qaulity. It does not digitize or scale any analog tapes. Do you even own 30K?.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry CKNA, but I don't know what to tell you I'm not making this up. Yes I do own a 30K. I also own a Sony slv-r1000 and when I did a viewing comparison between them of VHS tapes the 30K looked horrible. It looked the equivalent of viewing a bootlegged copy that was on its 10 generation. The only thing I could see through the mess on screen that the 30K was doing better than the Sony was producing a brighter image.

Is there something you need to set or adjust before you play a VHS tape on a 30K or do I just need to return my 30K yet again or does this deck just totally suck at playing VHS?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Is it possible that you're viewing the 480i output of the 30000U on a projector that really should be used with a scaler?

My FPTV will sync to 480i but it does indeed look awful (very visible scan lines). Ordinarily any 480i signals in my HT are passed through a scaler but since I'm usuallly watching HD on the 30000U I have its component outputs connected directly to the projector.

If I were actually going to watch the 480i output of the deck for more than just controlling it via its on-screen display, I would certainly pass it through a scaler first.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Using a direct view CRT (Sony KV40-XBR700) with the JVC 30k, and using the component out to view normal VHS tapes in 480i, should the image quality be good? I would expect it to be as good as any other VHS VCR, if not somewhat better due to the component hookup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.