AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, this is my first post. i am a newbie to most of this stuff.

i have just purchased a samsung hln4365w DLP set and have my cable company comcast coming to deliver and install a motorola dct5100 hdtv cable box. i have a few questions:

[1]someone told me that you must change a default setting on the motorola cable box to turn off a setting (auto something) in order to avoid having to switch from component video and antenna when toggling between standard or non HD channels and HDTV channels. this is supposedly due to something on the samsung sets.....anyone familiar with this and if so, how do i access the box's configuration menu and what do i need to change?

[2]does the motorola dct5100 have a DVI hookup that i have been reading about? if so, do i need special cables to hook it up to the samsung tv? if it doesn't, will i be dissapointed with the PQ thru the component video mode?

[3]what is the best "stretch mode" to watch standard channels in (ie sports) that looks least skewed? and will i need to turn stretch modes on and off when toggling between standard channels and widescreen HDTV channels?

thanks in advance!

-dave in boston

·
Registered
135 Posts
Regarding your first question, you should definitely change the settings on the DCT5100. With the cable box off and the TV on, press menu on the cable box. You'll get a setup screen. Change the HD output to 720p. If you want to be able to view standard def channels without toggling between inputs, set 4:3 Override to 480p, from 480i. (Or you can also set it to default to the HD setting.) I just had to make this adjustment on a calibration I did this evening.

Unfortunately the Motorola does not have a DVI output. One of the kickers, IMHO, to using digital cable service with this box on these sets. DVI definitely looks better.

The best stretch mode is largely a matter of your own preference. On the Normal setting, the picture doesn't fill the screen, but you don't have any geometric distortion. But if you want the image to fill the screen, you might want to choose Wide or Panorama.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Dave,

I just had Comcast HD installed on my Samsumg 467 so I know exactly what you will be going through. DannyBaker pretty much hit it on the head, but let me clear up a few points.

The Moto5100/6200 by default outputs SD to 480i, so when you hook this up via component to Comp2 or Comp3 you will get an error message. To change this do the following: With the Moto turned off, press the menu key. This will bring up the box's setup menu. NOTE: The menu is output in 480i as well, so you won't see it on the TV screen -- you can follow along via the LCD on the front of the Moto.

Select 16:9 for TV size, 720p for output, and 480p for 4:3 Override. These will be the first three menu selections.

As far as the DVI goes....I think some late 5100 boxes came with DVI. Comcast installed a 6200 for me and it certainly has DVI. Of course, the DVI is only active depending on the level of firmware that Comcast is currently broadcasting to your box. According to the forum, it appears that if your box downloads firmware 7.07 that DVI will be enabled. This is the level that my box downloaded, but I haven't had a chance to check the DVI yet. YMMV.

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
You may want to reconsider toggling between component 2 for digital and HD stations, and antenna for SD stations (below 100) since the SD channels look considerably better through antenna (luckily I rarely watch SD since all the networks plus ESPN and HBO are HD with Comcast in my area).

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks very much for the replies!!!

if i set the HD output to 720p, aren't i losing PQ by not having it do the 1080i?

so if I do what you guys said, Select 16:9 for TV size, 720p for output, and 480p for 4:3 Override, then what cables will need to hook up to the tv? just a single set of component video cables going into Component 3 i assume?

which is better component 2 or 3? or are they the same?

and BillP, is the PQ for SD tv significantly reduced in the 480p mode vs the 480i?

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
All you need are 1 set of component cables between the cable box and the Samsung (to the Component 2 or 3 inputs in back of the Samsung). The Samsung converts everything to 720p, so you would not be losing anything by setting it to 720p vs 1080i (it's a question of whether the box does the converting or the Samsung - just see which looks better to you). I also connected a coax cable to the antenna input in back of the Samsung since the SD channels look better to me that way (the SD PQ looks much more grainy through Component 2 than through Antenna). The Samsung will not take 480i through Component 2 or 3, so if you set the cable box to 480i for 4:3 overide, you will not get a picture. You need to set the overide to either 480p or disable it (in which case it will use the setting you set for HD, either 720p or 1080i.

·
Registered
108 Posts
As far as the DVI goes....I think some late 5100 boxes came with DVI. Comcast installed a 6200 for me and it certainly has DVI. Of course, the DVI is only active depending on the level of firmware that Comcast is currently broadcasting to your box. According to the forum, it appears that if your box downloads firmware 7.07 that DVI will be enabled. This is the level that my box downloaded, but I haven't had a chance to check the DVI yet. YMMV.

I'm sorry to piggyback on this thread, but I also need help with my HLN467W and DVI. I don't know what model # Comcast/Motorola cable box I have, but it's one of the newer ones (delivered 12/03) -- it's gray/silver in color. It has a DVI connection in the back. I purchased a DVI cable, and nothing happens when I connect the cable box to the Samsung. The Samsung menu recognizes that something's hooked up, but that's it.

1) Is there something special I need to do?

2) How can I check my firmware number in the cable box?

3) Are there different types of DVI cables/source output? I think I've read about DVI-I, DVI-D, and DVI-A. I know the cable works, because I've hooked it up to my PC, and I got my desktop to display on the Samsung (although not 100% properly, I had no mouse pointer! This is another problem I'm not too smart about.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have my 4:3 override set to "off" instead of 480p. That way 4:3 programming shows up as 4:3 instead of being stretched.

As far as the DVI output not working on a Motorolla box w/ DVI, the local cable company probably doesn't have the DVI enabled yet (most don't).

Jeff

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
I think I remember reading on the Concast web site that they may enable the DVI output by this summer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
luckychunk,

For all the details, you are better searching the HDTV Hardware forum. Or look for the Popular Links sticky and click on the Moto5100 FAQ link. I haven't played with my DVI yet so all I can tell you is what I have read so far.

I don't think there is anything special you need to do -- if the Samsung recognizes the cable you should be set there. You want either a DVI-D or DVI-I cable (-D is digital, -I is digital/analog).

To check the firmware, you need to scan through the on-screen menu for the cable box. I forget where I found it, but it wasn't hard to find. Supposedly only firmware 7.07 has the DVI enabled, but I didn't see anyone shouting from the rooftops that this was gospel yet so who knows.

Again, check out the HDTV Harware forum. They have all the answers...

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[1]suppose my 5100 being this late in the game has a DVI port and its live, if i hook up to the DVI on the sammy, will i also be able to view SD broadcasts? or will i also need to hook up a coax to the antenna input?

[2]i am intersested in stretching SD broadcasts to fill the widescreen, will i be unable to do this in component 2 or 3? in another thread i was told that these inputs only allow the "wide" and "normal" modes.

[3]is there any difference between components 2 and 3? if i plug my hdtv cable box into compent 3, i assume i should plug my older model DVD player (no dvi) into component 2? where should i plug my playstation? video 1?

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
The cable box can go into either Component 2or 3 (they are identical). The non-DVI DVD player should go into Component 1 (not 2 or 3).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.