AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just called my cable company (Comcast) to find out about HD cable. I already have the Zenith HDV420 and an antenna for local reception. I wanted to find out when they are going to be broadcasting HD cable. It was a big pain in the ass mess. Anyway the rep told me that HBO and Showtime are showing movies in HD. She said I could get them through my cable box, which is only S-Video and my TV does not have a built in tuner, she was set on the fact it would work, I know it wont. I need to hook up my cable to the STB to get the HD picture if there is even one. I don't think there will be. Do I run the risk of damaging anything by doing this? She told me what channels they are 550 and 575 but the STB does not go that high, so I would need to do a CADTV scan, would I just run the main line into the box? When I watch those channels nothing says broadcast in HD. If anyone else has had experience with this please help me out, thank you.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If your cable company is indeed offering HD cable (Showtime HD & HBO HD), you'll need an HD STB from your cable company. Almost none of the major cable companies transmit HD in such a format that your OTA HD STB would be able to decode it. They'll either rent you an STB or they'll make you buy it. Chances are the cable rep you spoke to doesn't know what they're talking about and (A) they aren't actually offering HD cable yet or (B) they need to rent or sell you an HD cable box.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read in a city news paper that Comcast is working on HD in the Pittsburgh area right now and it should be up and running late summer early fall. Thats why I don't think any channels are in HD yet, I don't know anyone around me that has them with cable. It threw me off when she said that HBO and Showtime were in HD right now over cable.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
CSRs seem to often confuse "digital cable" offerings with HD. Sounds to me like that is happening here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.