AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newb question, i searched but couldnt find the answer.

I can explain a bit better now that i did some research into what the hell im talking about. Ive got Infinity RS-8 floorstanding speakers with powered subs. Ive also got a dedicated sub (infinity hps 500). My pioneer elite 82 reciever only has one sub output which is taken by my dedicated sub. My floorstanding speakers have an option of hooking up the powered subs in them via direct line input to the receiver. But since i only have one sub out spot on the back of my pioneer receiver, where do i plug the powered subs from my floor standings into? Would it be the pre-amp Front (left/right) output?

· Registered
27 Posts
LFE only has to be a mono signal, so if you want to buy a 2-1 or 3-1 RCA adapter and plug it into your single sub output from your receiver, your receiver will send the same signal out to each of three subs and it will cause no signal degradation other than the additional connection, which itself should be minimal and inconsequential.

· Registered
26,449 Posts

Quote:
But since i only have one sub out spot on the back of my pioneer receiver, where do i plug the powered subs from my floor standings into?
Quote:
so if you want to buy a 2-1 or 3-1 RCA adapter

Its simple called a RCA Y-cable.

Just plug the cable into the 'sub out' on the AVR and it gives you two connections instead of one.

· Registered
30,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S281 /forum/post/15420426

Newb question, i searched but couldnt find the answer.

I can explain a bit better now that i did some research into what the hell im talking about. Ive got Infinity RS-8 floorstanding speakers with powered subs. Ive also got a dedicated sub (infinity hps 500). My pioneer elite 82 reciever only has one sub output which is taken by my dedicated sub. My floorstanding speakers have an option of hooking up the powered subs in them via direct line input to the receiver. But since i only have one sub out spot on the back of my pioneer receiver, where do i plug the powered subs from my floor standings into? Would it be the pre-amp Front (left/right) output?

First, you do not have powered subs in the Infinity RS-8 despite the PR copy. You have powered woofers. So, connect the RS-8 to the main L/R outputs exactly the way you would any normal speaker.

Then connect the LFE output to the real sub directly.

If you connect the LFE output to those so-called subs, you will have crossover issues.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/15423904

First, you do not have powered subs in the Infinity RS-8 despite the PR copy. You have powered woofers. So, connect the RS-8 to the main L/R outputs exactly the way you would any normal speaker.

Then connect the LFE output to the real sub directly.

If you connect the LFE output to those so-called subs, you will have crossover issues.

OK, that makes sense. But why do they give you line inputs for just the powered woofers? Are the woofers turned on and working if i dont plug into them directly?

What my original plan was to plug the powered woofers into the pre amp outs on the receiver for Front L/R and i was hoping that those front pre outs had their own adjustable crossover like the sub pre out does. But i dont know my pioneer elite 82 very well, so not sure if it does that.

· Registered
30,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S281 /forum/post/15427954

OK, that makes sense. But why do they give you line inputs for just the powered woofers? Are the woofers turned on and working if i dont plug into them directly?

I do not know the RS-8s but the similar Polk/Genesis designs give you an option to connect the built-in powered woofers to the main input terminals. Should be in your manual.

Quote:
What my original plan was to plug the powered woofers into the pre amp outs on the receiver for Front L/R and i was hoping that those front pre outs had their own adjustable crossover like the sub pre out does. But i dont know my pioneer elite 82 very well, so not sure if it does that.

Those preamp outputs do not have low-pass crossovers. Will not work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.