AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and have a question that sounds a bit silly so let me explain.

I'm hooking up my Onkyo HT receiver to the speakers that are pre-wired in my house and would like to know if there is an adapter to allow me to use speaker wire with pre-amp/line level plugs at each end.

The previous built in stereo unit had all speaker level outputs including the sub. The wires running through the wall to the little hole for the subwoofer position on the floor are speaker wire.

My subwoofer is powered and takes both speaker level and line level input.

My Receiver only has a single pre-amp.line level out for subwoofer.

I want to avoid trying to re-run line level RCA cables through the wall, still use the existing sub. location, and not have a new set of wires running along the floor to the sub. (wife says no loose wires everywhere).

So I know I want to us the line out from the reciever, adapt it to the existing speaker wire running through the wall, then adapt it back to a set of line in plugs to plug in to the powered subwoofer.

I haven't been able to find any straight line level plug to speaker wire adapters.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much for the help.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
You can try to add RCAs to the ends of the speaker wire but you run danger of the speaker wire picking up hum. Still, it is cheap enough to try.

The next step would be to try to pull an RCA interconnect through the wall using the speaker wire as the guide tool.

Finally, consider getting a wireless link for this. I have had success using an AudioEngine wireless link for subs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts