AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm posting in the correct forum here, if not, please let me know.

I am trying to hook up my Macbook Pro (Late 2008 unibody) to my Vizio XVT473SV.

Here is my issue:

I bought a home theater system for my apartment in order to A) have nice sound, B) have an integrated blu ray player, C) easily hook up my computer to play movies through my new TV.

Here is how i am currently connected through the home theater system:

Video: Mini displayport/HDMI adapter>HDMI>TV

Audio: Headphone jack > Aux in RCA audio (This is a stopgap until I get my headphone jack>optical cable.

The issue is, my landlord (who lives below me) has been complaining about the bass from my system overpowering anything he is watching. Now, I'm not one of those bass-heads who loves to feel my chest thumping along with the music. I listen to it on very normal levels. However even after I've turned it down to -4db already, he still is complaining.

My thinking is, I might have to return my home theater system if he really cant deal with the bass coming through the floor.

SO, my main question is this:

Can I somehow hook up my computer to the TV, even though the video and audio will have to come from different inputs? I dont see the option of using HDMI video with RCA audio.

My Macbook Pro does NOT output sound via the mini display port. So thats why I would need to use different outputs.

ANY help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
First off, I think your landlord is being quite picky if he is still complaining after you've turned the bass basically off.

Have you tried simply unplugging your subwoofer? That will eliminate all low frequency noise.

If you can't do that and want to stick with your original plan -- Hmm, my best guess would be the 3.5mm -> Optical Audio -> TV (assuming it has optical audio in). Most TV's will accept this + HDMI.

Another option would be to pickup an appleTV and handle this through your network. That's probably the way I'd do it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymania /forum/post/20771196

First off, I think your landlord is being quite picky if he is still complaining after you've turned the bass basically off.

Have you tried simply unplugging your subwoofer? That will eliminate all low frequency noise.

If you can't do that and want to stick with your original plan -- Hmm, my best guess would be the 3.5mm -> Optical Audio -> TV (assuming it has optical audio in). Most TV's will accept this + HDMI.

Another option would be to pickup an appleTV and handle this through your network. That's probably the way I'd do it.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm actually going to try unplugging the subwoofer tonight and see what happens. If he still complains, I'll have to return my home theater system.

My TV doesnt have optical in, unfortunately. I'd have to use an adapter like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I thought about AppleTV, but then realized I'd be paying $100 for something I'd only use to send the computer audio/video to my TV. I wouldnt rent anything from the apple store.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation /forum/post/20772093

Or you can use a mini-Display Port to VGA adapter. Your TV has audio input for VGA.

Are there any TV that has S/PDIF input?

My Macbook Pro does not output audio out of the mini-display port. So I'd still need another audio cable. But I wouldnt be able to play the VGA video and the other audio input at the same time.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation /forum/post/20772093

Are there any TV that has S/PDIF input?

@ Pixelation: I thought mine did (Sony XBR4), but after looking you're right - only output. However, it does say there are analog audio inputs for HDMI.

There has to be some standard to handle this. Perhaps in settings?

@ pman555 -- The AppleTV might surprise you. It's pretty easy to Jailbreak, and then you can stream almost anything from your comp to your tv.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, last night I unplugged my subwoofer to see if it would make a difference.

I got an email from my landlord telling me whatever adjustments I made, it was perfect, and he couldnt hear anything coming from my apartment.

I guess I'll just have to do without the subwoofer.

Also, I was only watching cable TV last night, i hope it doesnt get bad again when I watch a movie.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman555 /forum/post/20772133

My Macbook Pro does not output audio out of the mini-display port. So I'd still need another audio cable. But I wouldnt be able to play the VGA video and the other audio input at the same time.

Your TV has a VGA input and also an audio to pair with the VGA. VGA is referred as RGB in your manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.