AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm posting in the correct forum here, if not, please let me know.

I am trying to hook up my Macbook Pro (Late 2008 unibody) to my Vizio XVT473SV.

Here is my issue:

I bought a home theater system for my apartment in order to A) have nice sound, B) have an integrated blu ray player, C) easily hook up my computer to play movies through my new TV.

Here is how i am currently connected through the home theater system:

Video: Mini displayport/HDMI adapter>HDMI>TV

Audio: Headphone jack > Aux in RCA audio (This is a stopgap until I get my headphone jack>optical cable.

The issue is, my landlord (who lives below me) has been complaining about the bass from my system overpowering anything he is watching. Now, I'm not one of those bass-heads who loves to feel my chest thumping along with the music. I listen to it on very normal levels. However even after I've turned it down to -4db already, he still is complaining.

My thinking is, I might have to return my home theater system if he really cant deal with the bass coming through the floor.

SO, my main question is this:

Can I somehow hook up my computer to the TV, even though the video and audio will have to come from different inputs? I dont see the option of using HDMI video with RCA audio.

My Macbook Pro does NOT output sound via the mini display port. So thats why I would need to use different outputs.

ANY help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Here is the TV owners' manual for reference: http://70.168.148.201/documents/down...-473-553SV.pdf

Here is the owners' manual for my home theater system: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...504%5B1%5D.pdf

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
Can I somehow hook up my computer to the TV, even though the video and audio will have to come from different inputs?

Yes, though you'll need to buy an external adapter to do it.

Quote:
I dont see the option of using HDMI video with RCA audio.

Right, I'm not going to look in your TV manual for you, but most HDTVs don't provide "assignable" audio inputs...on my 47" Vizio LED, for instance, there's an audio input for the VGA port and only the VGA port, and it's not even optical in. This is why many home theater types route everything through an AVR first--the AVR is designed to give you all that flexibility, to assign and switch audio inputs for given video inputs.

Quote:
My Macbook Pro does NOT output sound via the mini display port. So thats why I would need to use different outputs.

Lots of Mac users are/were in the same boat as you, so a whole cottage industry rose up to deal with combining separate audio and video into a single HDMI. If you end up having to to remove the AVR from your equation, look for an adapter that takes the video from your miniDP and the audio from your optical and sends both through a regular HDMI cable connected to your HDTV. Something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Me, personally, I'd keep the AVR, if it has something like "night mode" which reduces the dynamic range, learn about it and use it more often, and perhaps deal more directly with the landlord issue in terms of what is reasonable at what time of day. You can also look into isolating or "decoupling" your sub a little better, i.e. put it up on some foam. There are many threads on this in other AVS forums.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/20770913

Yes, though you'll need to buy an external adapter to do it.

Right, I'm not going to look in your TV manual for you, but most HDTVs don't provide "assignable" audio inputs...on my 47" Vizio LED, for instance, there's an audio input for the VGA port and only the VGA port, and it's not even optical in. This is why many home theater types route everything through an AVR first--the AVR is designed to give you all that flexibility, to assign and switch audio inputs for given video inputs.

Lots of Mac users are/were in the same boat as you, so a whole cottage industry rose up to deal with combining separate audio and video into a single HDMI. If you end up having to to remove the AVR from your equation, look for an adapter that takes the video from your miniDP and the audio from your optical and sends both through a regular HDMI cable connected to your HDTV. Something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Me, personally, I'd keep the AVR, if it has something like "night mode" which reduces the dynamic range, learn about it and use it more often, and perhaps deal more directly with the landlord issue in terms of what is reasonable at what time of day. You can also look into isolating or "decoupling" your sub a little better, i.e. put it up on some foam. There are many threads on this in other AVS forums.

Thanks for your reply.

The external adapter I posted above looks almost identical to the one you posted in your reply, so I may have to go with one of those options if I end up returning the AVR.

My AVR was rather inexpensive at $250 on clearance...so I do not believe it has any night mode or anything like that. There is a way to turn down the volume of each speaker individually, but since I've already turned down the subwoofer so much, I doubt there is much else I can do. I've been trying to find an equalizer setting where I can just turn down the overall bass, but have found nothing.

I might just end up turning the subwoofer down totally and see if he still complains. If he still complains, I'll have to return the system.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
The external adapter I posted above looks almost identical to the one you posted in your reply, so I may have to go with one of those options if I end up returning the AVR.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the Monoprice is just a re-branded Kanex.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.