AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

First time poster, long time lurker due to the large amounts of knowledge in these forums...

I recently ordered a Velodyne DEQ-12R to go with my two Martin Logan Motion 12 speakers (I know, I know, just 2.1 but what can I say). The place was out of stock of the 12R so they sent the 15R at no added cost. I was like sweet, more bass...haha. This thing is huge, but luckily I do not own a lot of furniture so it has a nice corner in which it sits.

Anyway, my question is how best to hook it up to my receiver. I have a 'regular' 20 foot subwoofer cable and then a Y adapter as the Velodyne has two inputs. However, what I didn't know before I hooked it up yesterday was that my Onkyo also has two subwoofer "pre-outs" or whatever. I am currently just using one, but would it be better if I get another Y adapter and use both?

Also, what frequency cutoff would you guys recommend given my Martin Logan front speakers. I am so far from an expert in this field, but I was thinking maybe 80hz? As in anything below that is sent to the subwoofer (at least that is how I thought it works)...

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
One cable to the left (LFE) input. The Motion 12s don't have a lot of oomph down low for movies and certain types of music so 80hz is a good crossover point.

Nice thing about the DEQ and the new EQ Max series is the remote ability to turn the sub up or down depending on source and loudness preferences.

Nice upgrade BTW. Was it a local store?

Gene

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it was an online place:

electronics-depot

Thanks for the help...one followup question in case it matters. On the receiver the two inputs are vertical...I put it in the top one; does that correspond to the usual 'left' input?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think you mean the receiver OUTPUTS are vertical (LFE Out), but it doesn't matter because it's exactly the same signal. Check the Velodyne manual to see if they recommend using a y-splitter at the sub(Some manufacturers do).

Bill C

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCinLR /forum/post/21195780

I think you mean the receiver OUTPUTS are vertical (LFE Out), but it doesn't matter because it's exactly the same signal. Check the Velodyne manual to see if they recommend using a y-splitter at the sub(Some manufacturers do).

Bill C

Yes, this is correct. The Velodyne manual said you should use both inputs on the sub, so I was just applying that logic to the receiver (it doesn't say in the Onkyo manual if you get more power/whatever by using both).

·
Registered
331 Posts
No, you won't get anything ... it is for the purpose of hooking up two subwoofers (one from each jack). It acts exactly like a splitter from a single jack that the previous models used.

Bill C

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I say get a second 15" sub and remove all doubt

I just recently added a 15" Velodyne to my system, made a huge difference!

...and I already had a pair of 12" Velo's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts