AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3-4 year old Onkyo HTIB, and used it with a 32" SDTV Sony Wega and Onkyo SDVD player. I connected my satellite SD receiver toslink output to the corresponding output on the 5.1 Onkyo receiver, and connected the coxial audio output on the DVD player to the corresponding Onkyo receiver ouput. I ran all my video directly to the TV; the only thing running through the HTS is the audio.

I have upgraded to a HD satellite receiver, a HDTV plasma (720P), and am looking at getting a blu-ray. I have also replace the (5) 3" speakers that came with the system with (4) 6 1/2" in-walls, and a polk CS2 center channel. Since the Onkyo reciever has no hdmi imput, and only one each optical and coaxial inputs, what I'm thinking about doing is connecting the (2) TV hdmi inputs to the satellite receiver and blu-ray, and then running from the TV optical output to the Onkyo receiver. I'll contiunue to keep the SDVD coaxial connected to the Onkyo and use it for CD's (it's a 5 disk changer).

Does that sound like the best procedure with my limited equipment? Will everything work properly? Would I be better off upgrading my 5.1 receiver, or would that just be a waste of money?

·
Registered
656 Posts
You will have to check your tv specs. Alot of tvs only output the audio that comes in off the rf (cable) and not the hdmi or components.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjunk /forum/post/15510482

I have a 3-4 year old Onkyo HTIB, and used it with a 32" SDTV Sony Wega and Onkyo SDVD player. I connected my satellite SD receiver toslink output to the corresponding output on the 5.1 Onkyo receiver, and connected the coxial audio output on the DVD player to the corresponding Onkyo receiver ouput. I ran all my video directly to the TV; the only thing running through the HTS is the audio.

I have upgraded to a HD satellite receiver, a HDTV plasma (720P), and am looking at getting a blu-ray. I have also replace the (5) 3" speakers that came with the system with (4) 6 1/2" in-walls, and a polk CS2 center channel. Since the Onkyo reciever has no hdmi imput, and only one each optical and coaxial inputs, what I'm thinking about doing is connecting the (2) TV hdmi inputs to the satellite receiver and blu-ray, and then running from the TV optical output to the Onkyo receiver. I'll contiunue to keep the SDVD coaxial connected to the Onkyo and use it for CD's (it's a 5 disk changer).

Does that sound like the best procedure with my limited equipment? Will everything work properly? Would I be better off upgrading my 5.1 receiver, or would that just be a waste of money?

On most TVs the output from the optical output is not digital unless the TV is using its own tuner. Since you are using an HD satellite receiver the sound from the TV is most likely stereo only. To get digital sound from the blu-ray and the HD satellite receiver you really need to connect them directly to the Onkyo HTIB, depending on how much you use the DVD player for CDs. With your current receiver you will have to sacrifice digital sound from one of your sources or get a switch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts