AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please give me some advice on hooking up some new components.

This is my first adventure into 3D and I do not know how to connect my components together to get the best audio and 3D video performance.

I will be connecting the following:

Samsung BD-C6900XAA 3D blue ray player

DirecTV HD DVR

Samsung pn50c7000 3D tv

Yamaha RX-V765 receiver (limited by HDMI 1.3).

I believe that the Yamaha receiver will be limiting me due to HDMI 1.3 and I am looking for suggestions on ways to connect this system, have 3D from both sources, have optimal sound quality, and avoid replacing my Yamaha receiver.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that in order to get 3D, you're going to have to bypass the receiver for the 3D BluRay player connection; as such I think you can do this:

1. High speed HDMI cable connection from 3D BluRay player directly to TV's HDMI input

2. TOSLink digital audio cable connection from 3D BluRay player to receiver

3. DirectTV DVR to receiver via HDMI v1.3 cable

4. Receiver to TV via HDMI 1.3 cable.

As such, you'll be using two of your TV's HDMI connections:

- one for the BluRay player to enable high-speed HDMI playback, and

- one from your receiver to the TV.

In terms of Audio,

- the TOSLink cable will carry the audio from the BluRay player to the receiver (this should give you lossy DD5.1, which is the best you can get from this setup), and

- the HDMI connection from the DVR to the receiver will handle both audio and video.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP /forum/post/19603640

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that in order to get 3D, you're going to have to bypass the receiver for the 3D BluRay player connection; as such I think you can do this:

1. High speed HDMI cable connection from 3D BluRay player directly to TV's HDMI input

2. TOSLink digital audio cable connection from 3D BluRay player to receiver

3. DirectTV DVR to receiver via HDMI v1.3 cable

4. Receiver to TV via HDMI 1.3 cable.

As such, you'll be using two of your TV's HDMI connections:

- one for the BluRay player to enable high-speed HDMI playback, and

- one from your receiver to the TV.

In terms of Audio,

- the TOSLink cable will carry the audio from the BluRay player to the receiver (this should give you lossy DD5.1, which is the best you can get from this setup), and

- the HDMI connection from the DVR to the receiver will handle both audio and video.

Hope that makes sense.

He'd (me 2 soon) would also need to bypass the A/V receiver somehow to get 3D from Direct TV wouldn't he???
I just bought my Onkyo TX607 last year and of course it won't pass 3D! I've got a Sony 570 3D BRP on the way. Guess I should have got a Panny so I could run it directly to my Mits DLP with checkerboard. Don't know if there's a switch available that will let me feed 2 different inputs to the Mits adapter when I get Direct and want to view 3D from them. Hope this makes sense........

Ed

Ed

·
Registered
2,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps /forum/post/19604089

He'd (me 2 soon) would also need to bypass the A/V receiver somehow to get 3D from Direct TV wouldn't he???
I just bought my Onkyo TX607 last year and of course it won't pass 3D! I've got a Sony 570 3D BRP on the way. Guess I should have got a Panny so I could run it directly to my Mits DLP with checkerboard. Don't know if there's a switch available that will let me feed 2 different inputs to the Mits adapter when I get Direct and want to view 3D from them. Hope this makes sense........

Ed

Ed

Oops, didn't notice he also wanted to get 3D thru the DVR. It may not be necessary to bypass the receiver if the 3D mode from the satellite provider is side by side; if it is, he should be able to manually set side by side thru the TV's menu or remote control. Otherwise, assuming the DVR supports 3D, he'd do the same thing as with the 3D BluRay player (high speed HDMI directly to the TV, audio from the DVR to the receiver).

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP /forum/post/19605982

Oops, didn't notice he also wanted to get 3D thru the DVR. It may not be necessary to bypass the receiver if the 3D mode from the satellite provider is side by side; if it is, he should be able to manually set side by side thru the TV's menu or remote control. Otherwise, assuming the DVR supports 3D, he'd do the same thing as with the 3D BluRay player (high speed HDMI directly to the TV, audio from the DVR to the receiver).

I may be wrong on this, but assuming that his DTV box is capable of 3D I believe he most likely will have to direct connect the DTV box to the TV via HDMI. The DTV 3D format is SbS and you can enable the format manually in the Sammy, but the problem is that unless something has been changed recently in the DTV firmware the DTV box won't even let you access the 3D channels if it doesn't receive a valid EDID from the TV. Most likely he will have to connect the DTV box and the 3D-BR exactly the same way....HDMI direct to the tv and Toslink to the receiver.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz
I may be wrong on this, but assuming that his DTV box is capable of 3D I believe he most likely will have to direct connect the DTV box to the TV via HDMI. The DTV 3D format is SbS and you can enable the format manually in the Sammy, but the problem is that unless something has been changed recently in the DTV firmware the DTV box won't even let you access the 3D channels if it doesn't receive a valid EDID from the TV. Most likely he will have to connect the DTV box and the 3D-BR exactly the same way....HDMI direct to the tv and Toslink to the receiver.
You're probably right; I don't have DTV and was basing my guess on my experience with videogame hardware. The Xbox 360 for example does not support high-speed HDMI but even with a v1.3 cable you can still get side by side 3D from games. Guess the DTV hardware works differently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.