AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered an MEC rebuild on Monday and received it today. Charlie must have stock on the 8" MECs or something. It's also quite beautiful; almost a shame that I have to use it.

I'm one happy camper and you can bet the farm that I'll be getting it into my BG808 and tuning up my PJ for mounting tonight!

- Jerry

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Say Jerry

You might want to turn down the G2 for green a bit before dismantling, so as not to blast the new tube at power-up.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I presume if it's a blue tube, then cranking down blue's G2 applies. Clockwise to drop it down, right? ;)

- Jerry

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I got my two B+G 8" MECs in about 3-days from the time I faxed my order. They stock the 180DVBs so you don't have to wait for VDC to rebuild them. I am happy with mine so far (still dialing them in). The only thing I noticed was that the phosphor surface on my blue tube had a more visible texture than the original blue. My green looked fine. Fired up great the first time, no sparks, arcs or anything else that sometimes happens with "new" tubes.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by secstate
The only thing I noticed was that the phosphor surface on my blue tube had a more visible texture than the original blue

I noticed exactly the same thing with the phosphor surface on my green tube from them. Does anyone know if this is at all significant to focus or projection quality? Or is it something that will never be noticed unless you are staring into the projector lens?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The original MEC tubes do have a bit of a texture to them. In fact, on the blue I just installed, the area where the wear was before the rebuild was actually smoother than the outside edges of the face of the tube.

The grid looked razor sharp and that was only after an initial quick go at alignment of the neck components.

I have heard of cases where extreme wear and/or burns etches the inside of the tube face, so I guess it is a crap shoot on what tube you get from them.

All I know is whomever get the blue I sent them (

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.