AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, it took three lamps to get there. That's $1200 in lamps or $1/hour for cost of operation. Worse still, the third lamp died last night with a pop. It went into automatic shutdown. When it was done, I foolishly tried turning it back on (denial: the most predictable of human reactions) and it made some unhappy sounds; A loud humming with some vibration, almost like the color wheel was out of balance.

So what do I do now? I guess I have to send it to Optoma to clean it out? I'm not sure that I want to bother with the cost of that service on top of another lamp. It's going to make one big, ugly, expensive paperweight though. The irony in all this is that my previous projector was an old Barco 808s. I bought the Optoma partly out of fear that the Barco was going to die any day. This, despite the fact that it had given me trouble free service for over three years.

Another question: Is there such a thing as a lamp projector that actually comes with some kind of warranty on the lamp? Optoma's 90day version was a rude awakening when the first lamp went at 400 hours but I get the impression that this is typical. Are there any projectors that are known to be more reliable?

This whole experience with Optoma has left me questioning the very idea of front projection. It's an incredibly disheartening notion. I don't see any point in a 'home theater' built around a 40 inch TV but plopping down another $3k for toy throws a $400 fit twice a year is just too much.

Sorry. Just had to vent. Any advice out there?

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Sounds like the color wheel broke up your bulb may be ok. You can look it over thru the bulb compartment.

Reason I know this is the color wheel on my H56 broke just last week, it's not uncommon.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I hear you. In fact, all Optoma H7x owners hear you. Even the H81 guys hear you.

I had my first H79 replaced after about 550 hours due to the flashing blue light, red light syndrome.

The replacement projector was sent in twice for the same issue. The first time, Optoma did not do anything because they couldn't re-create the issue. That's the problem with this stinking intermittent bulb startup failure.

This second time, the projector was doing the same thing more frequently, so I was hopeful that Optoma would be able to see the problem. They come back and tell me I need a new bulb. Again, at around 550 hours.

I hate Optoma. They push the H79 as a premium projector. Yet a few weeks after finding a few suckers to pay big money for this lemon, they introduce the H78DC3 which is essentially the same projector. For a lot less money. I felt like a fool for going with the H79 at that point. Do you think Marantz, Yamaha or Sharp would do that to their customers that purchased their top of the line projector? At least they don't slash their prices a few weeks after introduction like it's a big boxing day extravaganza. The H81 suckers, er owners, are also feeling this price reduction pain.

What should you do? Thank your lucky stars you weren't goaded into the H79 at a premium just a few weeks sooner. If you can, ditch this lemon. Consider this a lesson learned. I sure learned mine. I'll never go with Optoma again.

Regarding warranty, check out the Infocus projectors. Last I heard, they offer a one year warranty on the bulb.

·
Registered
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman /forum/post/0

Sounds like the color wheel broke up your bulb may be ok. You can look it over thru the bulb compartment.

Reason I know this is the color wheel on my H56 broke just last week, it's not uncommon.

Not uncommon for Optomas I'm sure. Having read the forums for a few years now, I don't recall many instances of color wheels breaking. I would say it IS uncommon. A bulb prematurely dying is not uncommon, but a color wheel?

PropellerHead, In case you weren't aware, guitarman reviews Optoma projectors on this forum. He has some sort of relationship with Optoma, so take whatever he says with a grain of salt. Again, I have been on the forums for a while. I don't recall him ever having a bad word to say about Optoma products.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the exact same symptoms (pop followed by bulb failure). When I got a a new bulb, the vibration was terrible and the picture horrible. I put the old bulb back in, and got the same result (the old bulb worked, but the picture was horrible). My projector is currently at Optoma for warranty repair...they've had it for a week, and I don't know what is wrong or when I might get it back./

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
What should you do? Thank your lucky stars you weren't goaded into the H79 at a premium just a few weeks sooner. If you can, ditch this lemon. Consider this a lesson learned. I sure learned mine. I'll never go with Optoma again.

Wow. A broken color wheel. That's new to me. Unfortunately, I don't think that my concience would allow me to sell this projector to anyone. Seems like it would be a dirty trick knowing what a gold plated piece of crap it is. Looking back. I think it was stupid of me to feed a third bulb to this thing after the first two died within 400 hours.

·
Registered
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead /forum/post/0

Wow. A broken color wheel. That's new to me. Unfortunately, I don't think that my concience would allow me to sell this projector to anyone. Seems like it would be a dirty trick knowing what a gold plated piece of crap it is. Looking back. I think it was stupid of me to feed a third bulb to this thing after the first two died within 400 hours.

Yeah, when I said "ditch", I didn't mean to sell it off to someone else. I meant just eat the cost or try to find someone (a dealer) that might take it as a trade in.

I was so close to getting the JVC RS1 last week. The dealer I was considering would have accepted my H79 as a trade in allowance (roughly 1/5 of my cost). I gave him full disclosure of my history with the H79. In the end, I decided to just wait and see how this bulb goes. I typically take a year or so to rack up 500 hours. I figured that by the time this bulb acts up, the RS1 will have come down in price greater than the amount of the H79 trade in value.

But mark my word: unless this bulb lasts well into its' rated 3000 hour life, I will not purchase another Optoma bulb or projector again. I'd rather see what is available on the market in terms of a new projector when the time comes.

When I eventually do take my H79 out behind the barn to put it out of my misery, I'll open that sucker up to see how it works. I've always wanted to see how projectors work.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:

Was it the color wheeel?

Are you asking me? I dont' really know yet. Still at work so I haven't had a chance to take a look. Now that I think about it though, when I turned the projector back on, while it was making all that racket, I noticed that the lamp did light but the image was almost black and white. At the time I marveld that a blown lamp would light at all. Now I guess a cracked color wheel makes more sense. The good thing about that is that since it's not really a user serviciable part, the decision to fix it or not is really taken out of my hands so I can put this whole ugly Optoma episode behind me.

Still don't know what I'd do next though. I need to decide if I'm still feeling adventurous enough to risk another several thousand dollars on a front projector. I guess I have some soul searching to do

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
B&W image is what I got on the 56, it's the color wheel alright. Repair for the 56 is $100 for the wheel $150 labor/ship total with shipping $250. You're probably under warranty but if not those could be the prices.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turns out that you are right Guitarman. I dug up my emailed invoice and discovered that I still have five months left on the warranty (bought the projector here at AVS btw). Mixed feelings for sure. I almost picked up a Sony VPLHS60 at BB on my way home. So much for abandoning my home theater. I wasn't even have lasted through the weekend. I guess it's in the blood. I'm doomed.

I wonder how long Optoma keep my projector. It's going to be a tough wait. ARG!

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Lucky you didn't buy, I bought an HS51 and a HS60 and tired them out for a short time. The Optoma has a much better picture for sure. The LCD's are soft and lack ANSI power, real cr is low also.

Optoma told me it's a 3day turn around once they get the PJ.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sharpdog /forum/post/0

My buddy's H72 just failed and The Future Shop told him the color wheel was screwed. They gave him $1500 instore credit. He bought the Sony 720P for $500 more.

I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Guitarman: There's no denying that the H78 throws a great picture. At $1/hour though, it's just out of my budget. It was bad enough when I had to worry about the lamp going out. Now I have to worry about the color wheel? I don't get it. My first projector was an SVGA Davis DL450. I put 2500 hours on it in two years and eventually sold it with the original lamp. Why are we going backwards in reliability?

I got to do a side by side comparison against my Barco back in the day. I can live with that picture if it buys me a little piece of mind.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
That's unlucky I feel the pain. I did have the 77 and 79 over 1200hrs each with no problems that's why I just bought the $649 refurbed HC2000. I'll let it out if it fouls up.

Bad luck man. Some guys are thinking of trying the HC2000 bulb I'm going to see if it's compatable. Did you read up on the UHP bulbs, one tip is to use a power conditioner to keep the electricity stable, seems changing electricity can kill the bulbs. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sharpdog /forum/post/0

My buddy's H72 just failed and The Future Shop told him the color wheel was screwed. They gave him $1500 instore credit. He bought the Sony 720P for $500 more.

He paid 2k for a HS60, I tried that and the 51 and dumped them both. Hooked on DLP's sharpness and real contrast/ansi. Like that 1080p LCD 5000 model they tested a 680.1 with the iris off, that's nasty.
The RS1 looks interesting.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead /forum/post/0

Unfortunately, it took three lamps to get there. That's $1200 in lamps

You need to look harder into sources for your bulbs. You are paying list.

I have the 79 and I feel your pain except I am in the middle of the 3rd bulb life and have no other problems to report.......yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/0

I have the 79 and I feel your pain except I am in the middle of the 3rd bulb life and have no other problems to report.......yet.

What kind of hours did you get from your first two bulbs? How far are you into your third?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:

Did you read up on the UHP bulbs, one tip is to use a power conditioner to keep the electricity stable, seems changing electricity can kill the bulbs. Worth a shot.

Hmm.. Funny you should mention that. It occurs to me that most of the light bulbs in this house are those compact flurecent types because soon after moving here, I realized that regular bulbs don't seem to last very long in this house. I had always assumed that it was some sort of electrical problem but it never occured to me that this could be hurting things other than light bulbs. That's a good tip. I'm going to have to look into it. What's the best way to verify this kind of problem and how do I fix it?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.