AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
So maybe this is the silver lining to not having any/many programmers left at UTV - they don't have time to program this kind of crap.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well, the UK is probably not as litigious as we are. The outrage that it would cause here would be deafening.

Keith

·
Registered
246 Posts
Dropper is right. This isn't the UK, folks. The laws aren't the same. They don't have OUR constitution. I don't pretend to be familiar with their laws, but from the statement from Tivo in the article, my guess is that they (Tivo) is within their rights over there. God bless America!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well, actually, the UK doesn't have a constitution at all. Just the Magna Carte circa 1000 years ago. They can put you in jail if you say something bad about the government... Thank god that could never occur here...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Actually, the US tivo boxes are getting different "video spam", a Cheryl Crow Video, a Best Buy commercial and other stuff. I went over to the other side (the tivo forums) to see what their response was. Amazingly, some of them don't mind it. I guess they think it might help tivo from going bankrupt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think you would see a lot of people in the US simply calling their credit card companies, disputing the charges for the unit and the service charges from that point on. They are charging you for a product and service that you didn't buy (The store never told me my TiVo product and subscription was for that)...

·
Registered
78 Posts
There was so much discussion on the Tivo group that the moderator closed the thread. He also posted a synopsis of all the issues, for instance:

1. When Tivo gets the program guide, the automatic record command is embedded in the program.

2. If you already have something else set to record at that time, Tivo will not bump your recording in favor of the "special program".

3. The "special program" downloads in a separate area of the hard drive set aside for such "features" and should not affect your ability to record other programs.

4. No one is forced to watch the program, but you can't delete it, either.

My personal opinion is that when the studios currently suing Replay over the commercial skip feature latch on to this, they'll change their tune and want to force Replay into doing likewise rather than implementing Big Brother-type features that would track every commerical a Replay user skips so they could see how much revenue they are losing. The implication of what Tivo is doing scares me a lot more because it is more likely to be implemented by other PVR manufacturers. What the studios are trying to have Replay do just raises too many privacy issues that wouldn't pass legal scrutiny.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg_Smith
Amazingly, some of them don't mind it. I guess they think it might help tivo from going bankrupt.
Or maybe we actually find some of it entertaining (well, not the Sheryl Crow stuff, personally, but I liked the Superbowl and Oscar stuff).

Not only do I not mind it. I actually like it. A lot.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by walters

Or maybe we actually find some of it entertaining (well, not the Sheryl Crow stuff, personally, but I liked the Superbowl and Oscar stuff).

Not only do I not mind it. I actually like it. A lot.
Walter,

Do you like spam? Do you feel TIVO has the right to use without your consent a device you purchased to force paid advertisements to you?

I think individual rights are eroded when a company does this. It would be different if they advertised this "feature" before purchase. Personally, I would not own a TIVO because of this. The broadcasters should go after TIVO before ReplayTV, because TIVO is essentially not only allowing users to remove the broadcasted commercials, but is also inserting their own.

Greg

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:
Do you like spam? Do you feel TIVO has the right to use without your consent a device you purchased to force paid advertisements to you?
No and no.

And if they were forcing ads on me I'd be the first to complain.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, with the current state of affairs with the PVR market, this might just be the thing to put the last nail in the coffin. It would be STUPID for a PVR manufacturer to do this. It looks like a last-ditch effort to raise money to avoid going out of buisness. Tivo, see ya!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Although I think Tivo should have an "opt-out" policy for this new feature, personally it's no problem... basically, if you have ANY other scheduled recording, these "extras" don't get recorded. If you're watching live TV and have used the remote within the last 30 minutes, it won't attempt to record either. If you aren't recording anything, and it's been at least 30 minutes since you've last used the remote, a prompt appears, asking if you're still there, basically. If you don't respond, then it will change channels (unless you're already on the correct channel, of course) to record whatever it's supposed to record (interviews, music videos, hopefully movie trailers in the future, etc.). There's some extra space in the area reserved for the OS that is used for these recordings that is not considered part of the regular space that your recordings use. You still have "up to 35 hours", or in my case "up to 126 hours" since I've added a 100GB drive to each DirecTivo's existing drive.

I watch most stuff time-shifted, but not everyone uses their PVRs the same way... some will watch live TV more than me, without using the remote. Some tune to a news channel before they go to bed so that it's in the buffer when they wake up, etc. So that's why an easy no-hassle "opt-out" option should be implemented, in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:

Walter,

I think individual rights are eroded when a company does this. It would be different if they advertised this "feature" before purchase. Personally, I would not own a TIVO because of this. The broadcasters should go after TIVO before ReplayTV, because TIVO is essentially not only allowing users to remove the broadcasted commercials, but is also inserting their own.

Greg
Curious - do you subscribe to any magazines or newspapers? Got those ad-free ones?

How do you feel about paying DirecTV to overlay their advertising over the programming you're getting. Have you canceled your subscription yet?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.