AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used G70 with 1000+ hours on it. It seems to run OK, and I am able to get the focus & registration nicely done.

However, there is a LOT of video noise introduced into the signal when I playback a source. There horiz. lines running through the image (most visible on brighter backgrounds). These lines are spaced about 3/4" apart on the screen and oscillate up/down. Edges are practically non-existent because there is so much noise that edges just look like a line of spikes.

I have checked and re-seated every board on the unit I could get my hands on. No difference. I have tried S-video in directly, 480p, 600p, component in directly, etc., no difference.

The CRTs themselves appears fine. Internal test patterns render very crisp/sharp edges without noise, but as soon as a signal is applied it's crap.

My equipment is a Faroudja 2200, Sony 7700 DVD, Powerwedge power filters, and of course, the G70.

Prior to the G70 I had a D50 and the image was spotlessly clean. I can see the potential of the G70 (tighter beam, mag focus) etc, but quite frankly, the noisy image is ruining the show.

Any ideas, comments before I send the unit back to the seller?

PS. I have a IFB-12 from my D50 that I tried to get to work in the G70. No luck. The G70 sees it and the IFP-12 reports itself as active (red light on), but I cannot get an image through the IFB-12 to display on the G70. The IFB-12 is supposed to be compatible with the G70 isn't it?

Thanks, Karl

·
Registered
99 Posts
Karl,

The IFB-12 was later replaced with the IFB-1200 but should still fine in the G70's. Regarding the video noise, we've occationally found the "B' board to be at fault. The "B" board is the board in the rear left corner of the projector that has the 5 BNC connectors on it for component and RGB input. It also has a daughter card which is the video/S-video inputs. On the "B" board are 6 mini coax cables that feed the "C" boards (there is one on the back of each CRT). If these cables come loose or the el cheapo plug on the ends of each start to loosen you could start to get noise. Check each end and be sure they are crimped tightly and inserted into their respective jacks properly. If you can't resolve this, let me know and we'll send you another "B" board you can try.

Eric

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.