AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving in one week and need to select my L/C/R speakers for my move to my new apartment. I already own 2 Ascend 170SE's, which I love, and a Marantz SR7001, so I want to complete the 5.1 setup. Originally I was thinking of going for 3 340SE's across the front, with the horizontal center.

After reading briefly about lobing effects and the ideal of having a vertical center that matches the mains, I'm reconsidering. If I went with 3 vertical 170SE's across the front (in addition to making my original 2 the surrounds), I'd be able to use the $300+ saved to buy a Hsu subwoofer to round out the system (likely the STF-2).

I currently have 23" speaker stands for the mains that I'd like to use, and my choice of TV/component stand is flexible (I'm wall-mounting my plasma). If I go with vertical 170SE's across the front, I'd probably choose a 13" Ikea stand and place the center channel on top of that.

That would place the tweeters for the L/R channels at ~34" off the floor, and the center at ~24" off the floor (I don't think I can put the center channel any higher without having to mount the plasma uncomfortably high on the wall). I expect that my ears will normally be about 37" off the floor when sitting on my couch. So the viewer/listener would be 3" above the L/R's, and 13" above the center channel.

Does this seem like a reasonable height compromise? Should I tilt the center channel upwards slightly? And am I giving up significant quality by going for the 170SE's across the front instead of the 340SE's? Or do the advantages of a vertical/matching center channel mostly negate that?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinthar /forum/post/16955587

I'm moving in one week and need to select my L/C/R speakers for my move to my new apartment. I already own 2 Ascend 170SE's, which I love, and a Marantz SR7001, so I want to complete the 5.1 setup. Originally I was thinking of going for 3 340SE's across the front, with the horizontal center.

After reading briefly about lobing effects and the ideal of having a vertical center that matches the mains, I'm reconsidering. If I went with 3 vertical 170SE's across the front (in addition to making my original 2 the surrounds), I'd be able to use the $300+ saved to buy a Hsu subwoofer to round out the system (likely the STF-2).

I currently have 23" speaker stands for the mains that I'd like to use, and my choice of TV/component stand is flexible (I'm wall-mounting my plasma). If I go with vertical 170SE's across the front, I'd probably choose a 13" Ikea stand and place the center channel on top of that.

That would place the tweeters for the L/R channels at ~34" off the floor, and the center at ~24" off the floor (I don't think I can put the center channel any higher without having to mount the plasma uncomfortably high on the wall). I expect that my ears will normally be about 37" off the floor when sitting on my couch. So the viewer/listener would be 3" above the L/R's, and 13" above the center channel.

Does this seem like a reasonable height compromise? Should I tilt the center channel upwards slightly? And am I giving up significant quality by going for the 170SE's across the front instead of the 340SE's? Or do the advantages of a vertical/matching center channel mostly negate that?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

I don't see anything that would make that setup be wrong acoustically, but, I think that is just looks plain odd to me when I see a vertical center channel. It looks so wrong to me that I would have to hide the speakers or go with a different set.

However, like I said, acoustically it should sound fine.

I have not heard the speakers you have though, so I will have to let someone else field that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline /forum/post/16955632

I don't see anything that would make that setup be wrong acoustically, but, I think that is just looks plain odd to me when I see a vertical center channel. It looks so wrong to me that I would have to hide the speakers or go with a different set.

However, like I said, acoustically it should sound fine.

I have not heard the speakers you have though, so I will have to let someone else field that.

I agree, it definitely will look odd. The 170SE is an odd looking, boxy bookshelf speaker to begin with though. The 340SE setup is certainly the more aestehetically pleasing, and comforms more closely to what one would expect to see in a home theater setup.

That said, I'm really trying to go as cheap and minimialist as possible. I bought the speaker stands on craigslist for $20 and the TV stand I'm looking at from Ikea is an incredibly minimalist 13" tall, 55" wide stand that costs $50. The Marantz receiver I have is large enough that it will have to sit on the top left side of the stand, while I'll likely place my PS3 on the top right (just to even out how potentially odd it could look).

With a wall-mounted plasma (using a cheap, sturdy mount from monoprice for $51), and some thin black cloth that covers that back of the TV stand (to cover the wiring from view), I was hoping to come up with a dirt cheap home theater setup that maximizes my bang for the buck and still is aesthetically pleasing, if unconventional.

I had originally budgeted for a more expensive TV stand, and the 340SE's as well, but if I can get nearly the same quality for $500 less, I'd like to throw that in savings (or in some BD's).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Won't look odd at all, once the lights dim & the sound comes up.

I'm in the process of going from 35" CRT in 5'X6' solid oak EC to a 60" plasma mounted on the wall. 5 Polk RT7 (11x9.5x19") bookshelves & Velo CT-120 sub are now sitting as you describe your plan. Center tweeter is ~24" off the floor, while RL are @ 36". Center will be raised another 3", where it will merge with Kuro's black bezel.

This sounds much better than when the center RT7 was horizontally enclosed in EC at similar level.

HT marketing has so reinforced the Center's horizontal alignment for placement purposes, that our mind set rebels @ what our ears are telling us.

I think the vertically-matching Center, with the $ saved going into a better sub, will surprise you. The RT7s have a 7.5" driver, which are now set to small, and I have yet to check with a SPL, but the HT SQ is quite an improvement over the horizontal orientation.

I'm hoping to go minimalist with components on Omnimount MWFS shelves. I was planning on using black cloth to span between 2 of the MWFSs to cover wiring, but stumbled upon BLACK foam board at Hobby Lobby . . . .

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Try not to get too hung up on what the industry tells you your system is supposed to look like. Horizontal center speakers have always been a compromise to fit a predefined space. 2-way horizontal MTMs have even more inherent compromises in their design. Acoustically, a third CBM-170 is the perfect match to your mains and the ideal choice. This, on top of the savings and ability to upgrade your sub too, seems to make it a fairly clear choice. As for the height compromise, it's probably the best you can do with a wall-mounted plasma, and still better than a horizontal center in the same position.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Do you think they will Piano black some 340's for me?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks CSCHANG. Man now i need to save a little more lunch money to get them all at the same time. I was leaning towards the S1's & center but I think I am going to save a little cash and go with the 340's so could afford a full setup and a sub. I will be pushing them with a Onkyo 805. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser182 /forum/post/16970171

Thanks CSCHANG. Man now i need to save a little more lunch money to get them all at the same time. I was leaning towards the S1's & center but I think I am going to save a little cash and go with the 340's so could afford a full setup and a sub. I will be pushing them with a Onkyo 805. Thanks again.

If your main goal is HT, I'd say that's probably the better route. If you listen to any significant amount of 2ch music, a pair of Sierras and a sealed sub might be a better way to start. The SR805 shouldn't have any problem powering either extremely well.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Also remember, there is a significant charge for the custom finishes. You might not save much, if any, if you decided to get the 340's with a custom gloss black finish over the Sierra-1 with the piano black finish.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I actually went against my reasoning in my previous post and went for the 340SE front instead (bought Ascend's B-stock). It was a tough decision, but ultimately I was convinced that I would want the 340's for music and the fact that I bought a 19" TV stand on craigslist instead of the 13.8" one I was previously going to buy, and the horizontal 340SE C would fit to it better (a vertical 170SE C would have required me to mount the plasma a little too high).

Part of it, I'll admit, was for aesthetic reasons. But there were other factors as well.

I did end up buying a sub, but I didn't go for the Hsu STF-2 that I originally was looking to get. Instead, I bought an Onix X-sub for about half the price (which roughly accounts for the price difference in upgrading to the b-stock 340SE front). I know it won't be able to reach down nearly as well as the STF-2 could have, but given that I'm living in an apartment complex with neighbors on both sides, as well as above and below me, I can't annoy my neighbors with a window-shaking sub yet. In a few years when I own a house, I'll replace the X-sub with a pair of VTF-2's or something along those lines.

Anyway, I hope I made the right choice, as I won't have the alternative setup present for comparison. I'm quite certain that either setup would have been more than enough for my needs, and, paired with the Marantz SR7001 I picked up, a huge improvement over my previous Onkyo HTIB.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinthar /forum/post/16975851

So I actually went against my reasoning in my previous post and went for the 340SE front instead (bought Ascend's B-stock). It was a tough decision, but ultimately I was convinced that I would want the 340's for music and the fact that I bought a 19" TV stand on craigslist instead of the 13.8" one I was previously going to buy, and the horizontal 340SE C would fit to it better (a vertical 170SE C would have required me to mount the plasma a little too high).

Part of it, I'll admit, was for aesthetic reasons. But there were other factors as well.

I did end up buying a sub, but I didn't go for the Hsu STF-2 that I originally was looking to get. Instead, I bought an Onix X-sub for about half the price (which roughly accounts for the price difference in upgrading to the b-stock 340SE front). I know it won't be able to reach down nearly as well as the STF-2 could have, but given that I'm living in an apartment complex with neighbors on both sides, as well as above and below me, I can't annoy my neighbors with a window-shaking sub yet. In a few years when I own a house, I'll replace the X-sub with a pair of VTF-2's or something along those lines.

Anyway, I hope I made the right choice, as I won't have the alternative setup present for comparison. I'm quite certain that either setup would have been more than enough for my needs, and, paired with the Marantz SR7001 I picked up, a huge improvement over my previous Onkyo HTIB.

Sounds like you made some fine choices there. Congrats on the purchases, You will much happier then with the HTiB.

Oh and feel free to post some pics of you new setup so we can all see and drool about how nice you new system is

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.