AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of 'Stacking' projectors, which I guess is where two (or more) projectors project the same image in the same space. This is to increase light output. This does not sound easy.

What about using two projectors to provide two sides of an image? to increase resolution. Drive two PJs side-by-side with a dual head videocard-ed HTPC. You can stretch the image to span both 'monitors'.

I imagine the issues would be lining up, and identically calibrating the images. Making some seriously sturdy mounts, or lashing the the two units together so they don't move relative to each other. Probably more difficult than traditional stacking. This probably wouldn't be cost effective for someone just beginning to think about FPTV (like me)

Anybody tried or thought of this?

Jim Jf>

[This message has been edited by Jim J (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think the main issue with doing this is comes down to being able to drive the projectors. I believe that dual head cards do not have the same capabilities for both outputs. If you do a search in the HTPC forum, you'll probably find some good discussions about this.

------------------

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Sanyo had double-vertically stacked PLV-somethings at Infocomm.

They were stacked for the resolution, not the light output. The seam was not detectable unless you were really, and I mean REALLY looking for it and knew that it was there. They did a nice job with the setup.

I'm not sure how they had the source material split, though.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Has anyone had a chance to try this with a dual-head Radeon?

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim J:
I thought of this a while back, and wondered what the capabilities of these dual head cards are

I found this http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1423&p=3

Seems like it work, to spread the picture out between the two. Maybe there are driver problems and syncing problems, or something else

Jim Jf>
I believe the problem is that this DOESN'T work when the image you're trying to spread over two projectors is on the OVERLAY. There were several threads about this a year or so ago, don't know whether they're still in the archives or not. It might be worth checking if this is still the case on newer cards like dual head Radeon. -- Herb

[This message has been edited by hsitz (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why would they verticle-stack?

Seems like we'd want more horizontal resolution for those wide screen presentations

side-by-side SVGAs gives 1600x600 or 2.67 ratio (1.33x2 duh)

Now thinking on this further, projectors need to be at screen center. Total image width, lets say 9 feet. projectors would need to be 4.5feet apart. How much can you angle these things before the distortion becomes objectionable? If my calc is correct, putting the projectors right next to each other, you would need about 12deg from perpendicular to the screen. assuming your throw is nine feet.

Jim Jf>

[This message has been edited by Jim J (edited 06-27-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.