AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sony D50 projector has developed horizontal streaks that appear to the right of highlights in the picture. The problem is in the projector, since it appears even with the projector's internal menu items. It's also on all three colors (I fed in a gray background with white letters from my DVD player and only connected one BNC color at a time; streaking appeared on all three colors).

My dealer doesn't know what is causing this, and has not been very responsive lately. The guns have a bit shy of 6,000 hours on them (so this is no spring chicken).

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I, and several others, have the same problem. I've just installed new tubes in my projector and this is the only issue left to fix. People have mentioned problems with the neckboards. It's obviously something in the electronics that happens over time.

Here's a terrible screenshot, but it shows the issue I'm talking about. Its very evident from his belt.

http://www.jimsnodgrass.com/extrapic...screenshot.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that's exactly what I'm seeing. I've been pondering upgrading the projector and hence have wanted to avoid new tubes if possible, so it's useful to know that new tubes won't fix this. Since if I upgrade it won't happen for a while (up to a year), I'm hoping to find a way to improve things before then.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tdowney
Yep, that's exactly what I'm seeing. I've been pondering upgrading the projector and hence have wanted to avoid new tubes if possible, so it's useful to know that new tubes won't fix this. Since if I upgrade it won't happen for a while (up to a year), I'm hoping to find a way to improve things before then.
I'm definitely looking for a way to fix it as everything else looks great on this projector. Trust me, new tubes really brought mine to life.

If someone can point me to the board they believe is causing the problems, I'd be willing to pull it and ship it to someone can repair it. Or, does someone have a price on a new said board.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've asked about this in the past as well. I have a D50 with tubes that were replaced one year ago (600 hours on them now). I had subtle streaking with the old tubes and it seems pretty much the same with the new ones. The responses I got seemed to implicate the A board, which Henry Fu was willing to send me a new one for the bargain price of $3k and Curt Palme indicated he wasnt excited about trying to repair...

If anyone else gets a more specific diagnosis or especially a fix, I'd love to hear about it. Right now mine isnt that bad, but I kind of expect it to get worse over time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have d50 that had the same problem It was the E board I swapped out almost every board to find out what the problem was I think it's those big blue capacitors that get tired after 5000 hrs.I have to warn you though I am not a tech I just play with projectors.I also have a 1292 with the same problem and have not found the time to mess with it but i think it also has an E board problem.There is a guy on ebay from Florida that sells sony projector parts he has had d50 parts in the past.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fly bmw
I have d50 that had the same problem It was the E board I swapped out almost every board to find out what the problem was I think it's those big blue capacitors that get tired after 5000 hrs.I have to warn you though I am not a tech I just play with projectors.I also have a 1292 with the same problem and have not found the time to mess with it but i think it also has an E board problem.There is a guy on ebay from Florida that sells sony projector parts he has had d50 parts in the past.

Good luck with it.
Well, thats a start. I'm gonna look and see if I can find a new E board for a reasonable price. If so, I'll purchase it and swap it out. If someone knows somewhere, let me know. If it does fix it, then I can send my old E board to someone familiar with swapping capacitors so that they can diagnose it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I called CRT Cinema and asked them about the part. They don't have any in stock, but he's going to check on the price for a new one and get back with me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got an e-mail reply from Curt Palme on the availability of an E board in his stock. He said he's pretty sure he's got one, and will get back with me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Snodgrass23:

Any chance you would want to bring your D50 up to Stark County,

I have 5 D50's here we could swap a E board and see what happens

maybe its time to make one a parts machine,

Paul,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drtunes
Snodgrass23:

Any chance you would want to bring your D50 up to Stark County,

I have 5 D50's here we could swap a E board and see what happens

maybe its time to make one a parts machine,

Paul,
Thats a definite possibility. How far away from the north side of Columbus are you?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I got a response from Henry Fu (fairly big eBay crt guy). He says he can get replacement E-Boards for the D50 for $395. Email [email protected] .

For me, that's a little steep especially since my streaking is still really subtle. But perhaps one of you guys with a more severe case would be interested. I'd love to hear if it really is the E-Board that's the culprit...

·
Registered
41 Posts
If it comes down to it, I'd be willing to pay that if it fixes the streaking for me. First, I think I'm going to take drtunes up on his offer. I'm going to be taking down the projector in a couple of weeks or so to do some drywall work and painting. While its down, hopefully drtunes and I can get togethor and swap some boards to see what we come up with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any update on E board swapping? My dealer has an E board, but before I have him come out and try a swap, I was wondering if anyone had success with this test.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Any update on E board swapping? My dealer has an E board, but before I have him come out and try a swap, I was wondering if anyone had success with this test.
As soon as my new board from Curt arrives, I will swap it out and report back with the results.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My dealer came out today and swapped the E board; this did not fix the problem. He also brought a video input board and swapped that; also did not fix the problem. He said (based on a conversation with Sony) that the problem is probably with my old tubes and that their DC restoration isn't what it used to be. I may have him take the projector in to the shop and swap a tube to see if this cures the problem, but I'm also looking at just living with the problem for a few months and replacing the entire projector (time to move into the digital age!).

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
My dealer came out today and swapped the E board; this did not fix the problem. He also brought a video input board and swapped that; also did not fix the problem. He said (based on a conversation with Sony) that the problem is probably with my old tubes and that their DC restoration isn't what it used to be. I may have him take the projector in to the shop and swap a tube to see if this cures the problem, but I'm also looking at just living with the problem for a few months and replacing the entire projector (time to move into the digital age!).
It's NOT the tubes. It's probably a leaky electrolytic cap. Just a lot of labor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.