AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to install a retractable screen that will be in front of a fireplace and chimney when it is in use (with no fire of course!). The chimney is a nice visual feature of the room, and so I want to avoid having even the fully retracted screen covering any of it.

Has anyone successfully mounted a screen to the side so that it can be pulled out to the left about 8 feet and hooked to some anchor points? That way when the screen is retracted it will be in a small verticle coil that I can conceal within a cabinet. I'm concerned about keeping tension on the screen when it is in use.

I haven't been able to find any threads that discuss this as everyone seems to hang their screens the traditional way - either fixed frame or up-down retractable.

-Trygve

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
While I've never seen what you're asking about ot could probably be done. A standard retractable screen could certainly be hung verticallyn, pulled out and attached to some sort of brack opposite the housing to hold it in place. The question, as you bring up, is whether a screen mounted this way would turn in to one wig waving flag without appropriate tensioning.

You'll probably also need a custom screen as the standard ratios (4:3 or 16:9) will be rotated 180°.

Now if money is no object you could contact Stewart and look into a modified version of their Automatic Vertical Screen (AVS) . If this unit could be mounted vertically on a wall (or in a cabinet) it might work out nicely. Of course for what it would cost you could probably build a dedicated theater and avoid the fireplace issue altogether! :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.