AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to sort out the main differences in horn tweeter speakers like Klipsch and the more common dome tweeters used by most others...


I believe horn tweeters allow for the speakers to have a higher sensitivity, which could allow for easier operation from the amps...


what about dispersion? I would think dome might be better here...


Are most commercial theaters using horn tweeters? I thought this might be the case as they may be required for the high spl required in a huge theater.


I only ever heard klipsch speakers in a home theater once...they didn't seem incredibly different...I recall a good amount of detail in the high end. But otherwise...are horn tweeter speakers an advantage or disadvantage in a small home theater?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,854 Posts
High sensitivity allows for greater dynamics, which are a vital part of HT. Horns are one way to get there. Of course putting a horn tweeter in an otherwise conventional design may lead to bright sound with an over-emphasis on the highs, this isn't true for speakers that have all drivers horn-loaded (such as many Klipsch speakers in the Heritage lineup). Combine that with a horn-loaded sub, and you've got musical bliss.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
It also depends on what form of horn.


The speakers I have been witness/own I would rank this way...


worst, to best...


Klipsch Synergy/Quintet

BIC Acoustech

Klipsch reference/Icon

Waterfall Audio


The Klipsch Synergy/Quintet are best reserved for soprano A cappela(as in there is so much treble, you might as well listen to music that is nothing but treble).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Hey a local boy!


Well I run a Klipsch setup and for HT I would say that the horns blow domes away IMHO, I just find them much more dynamic.


Don't judge Klipsch or any speaker for that matter in store as they will all sound much different in your house. As far as dispersion goes I could agree that the horns are somewhat directional but depending on the room the HT is setup in I would have to say it would not be noticable. I personally can't notice a difference in the dispersion between my Klipsch and my dome loaded speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20775519


It also depends on what form of horn.


The speakers I have been witness/own I would rank this way...


worst, to best...


Klipsch Synergy/Quintet

BIC Acoustech

Klipsch reference/Icon

Waterfall Audio


The Klipsch Synergy/Quintet are best reserved for soprano A cappela(as in there is so much treble, you might as well listen to music that is nothing but treble).

I will agree the Synergy line has nothing on the Reference line. Definately worth the price difference.


Im gunna assume waterfall audio is out of the price range :p But if there not
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Klipsch Rf-82 fronts, RC-62 center, Axiom QS2's (side surround) Klipsch F1's (rears) and SVS PC12-Plus


BTW I have a RC-52 for sale if you are interested in the Klipsch line.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
I own the Waterfall Audio. A set of 5.1+height. Set me back(with tax) almost $14,000. They cost more now.


I have set-up quite a few people with Acoustech and none have been disappointed. When the prior Icon were being discontinued I almost bought a complete set. But declined.


The only reason I bought the WA was because I wanted to do height. They replaced a set of DCM where DCM never made a "small" speaker that I could have used for height.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,645 Posts
Advantage of a compression driver (CD): More output potential and decreased distortion at equal output levels in comparison to a dome tweeter.


Disadvantage: Horn/CD combo's are hard to piece together to sound good. Wrong combo and you have the tell tale horn sound that most of us loath.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20775519


The speakers I have been witness/own I would rank this way...

worst, to best...


Klipsch Synergy/Quintet

BIC Acoustech

Klipsch reference/Icon

Waterfall Audio

And then there's Klipsch Heritage.



(I see glass but not horn-loading on Waterfall Audio's web site)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Yea but if you stick with the correct lines so that everything matches, I dont think that should be too much of a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20776103


The Waterfall Audio Niagara uses horn loading...


The Victoria(cause $55,000 was out of the question) is what I bought. But I did audition a pair of Niagara. Holy sheesh.

Very interesting looking speakers (would love to hear how they sound). Was surprised to see the sensitivity on that Niagara only rated at 89db. These don't see ideal for dynamic home theater unless you are throwing some serious amps at them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/20776134


Very interesting looking speakers (would love to hear how they sound). Was surprised to see the sensitivity on that Niagara only rated at 89db. These don't see ideal for dynamic home theater unless you are throwing some serious amps at them?

I'd like to read up on them more, but they probably use a horn in front of a dome tweeter. That design would not fall into the category of this thread which is comparing compression drivers and horns to domes and the differences between the two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big ******
Hey a local boy!


Well I run a Klipsch setup and for HT I would say that the horns blow domes away IMHO, I just find them much more dynamic.


Don't judge Klipsch or any speaker for that matter in store as they will all sound much different in your house. As far as dispersion goes I could agree that the horns are somewhat directional but depending on the room the HT is setup in I would have to say it would not be noticable. I personally can't notice a difference in the dispersion between my Klipsch and my dome loaded speakers.
Better directionality is an advantage because it minimizes the room interaction with the sound before it reaches your ears. That way you are hearing the speaker and not the wall reflections.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool
Better directionality is an advantage because it minimizes the room interaction with the sound before it reaches your ears. That way you are hearing the speaker and not the wall reflections.
In addition to the "directionality," and in contrast to a typical dome tweeter that has a poor off-axis FR, a quality waveguide is designed to give the same FR across its entire radiation pattern. Big difference. That is why it's called Controlled Directivity. All seats within the coverage of the waveguide will hear a similar FR pattern.
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top