AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lilmike said something like tell us your space and budget and we will give you advice. Sounds good because I can't make up my mind.

System is:
Optoma UHD-60 4K projector
Marantz SR6013 11 channels active
7' DIY tall L-C-R line source speakers behind the screen. I call them the ugly sticks because they are unfinished MDF.
Mineral wool insulation spanning the back of the acoustically transparent screen and black fabric wall.
Tipical Blu-Ray, Direct TV HD, Fiber Optic powered Roku, etc.
Temporary weak-ass subs borrowed from another room
I have an unfinished riser for the back seating, but it is only 12 high and that is at least an inch too high.
The alcoves have black out curtains that provide some sound absorption.
Dayton mini-DSP and Behringer NX3000 waiting for the new sub

There is room to fit two vented 15" ultimax behind the screen and that is my fall back position, but Horns would be better for all the reasons y'all already know.

So here is my modest little theater. It is finished room above a two car garage.

What horns would fit and be better than two vented 15s?

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
some actual available space / dimensions would help
iirc there are 15" Devestator models for which there may be flatpacks from GSGAD,
not sure about the low tuning
or a pair of BFM THT's at about 36 x 36 x 24 ,the n3000 would be plenty . .
I have 3 of the THTLP's in my mancave, about 10 x 10 and < 800 cu. ft. on <300 w. each,
plenty of rumble, grunt, TR, and that legendary (?) clean FLH output
your space is much larger tho
so what kind of and how much "adequate" bass is required?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As much bass as I can fit comfortably on the room. I was hoping just the pictures of the room would mk someone say - oh you can fit an XYZ sub there. Or, if it were me I would ....

The room is a little over 3000 cubic feet.
The space to the side of the theater screen is about 21" wide and the corner of the angled wall to ceiling portion of the wall happens at about 5'2" above the floor.
The curtain rod/ceiling in the alcoves is about 7' tall and they are 9' wide and about 42" deep.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
OTTOMH 3 x Submaximus V3 . . .
only 80" tall, 36" wide and 30" deep . . .
snug but doable
wasn't that easy? . .
or 6 x THT's at 33" wide, 36: deep and double stacked to be 72" high
build 2 to start with
but I'll bet the nx3000 could easily drive 4
plenty of possibilities . .

·
Registered
Yamaha RXa2060 - HTM12 / Pa460 3way LCR - Volt10s atmos - HT8s rears - (4) Dual JBL Devs - (2) F20s
546 Posts
None... see, that was easy.

Everything you need is in the Devestator index, 6th order bandpass for great LFE and plenty of SPL.

I have built two picowreckers, two F20’s , six Devestators and a failed T-line (and plenty of normal boxes). If you seek high spl while using the least amount of power then horns are great, past that then..... ??? If you try to mix and match other subs / horns then thing get complicated in a hurry (integration issues like time delay and xo alignments) and if you want to pull the driver out to use it in a different alignment box then you’ll find that that special driver is / was only really good for a horn. Oh, and did I say horns are big? And if they are not big then they lack extension, who wants a great horn for movies but it needs a high pass at 24hz and a low pass at 80hz because of a phase flip (tapped horns) which then makes it not so great for a LFE sub. And the mouth of the horn doesn’t always make it easy to place in a room.

These are my real-world complaints.

But don’t get me wrong.... they have a very distinct sound that sometimes is hard to explain (in a good way), my F20’s by themself are beautiful from 20-100hz but also have a ring that I’ve also come to hate (noticeable when running sweeps compared to ported and such), I have a real Love/Hate relationship with my horns. My picowreckers went into my garage for music only and love them for that. My F20’s I’m going to replace next, but I’m not in a hurry (love/hate)....

BUT, the Devestator’s on the other hand I love. Their passband is good for most or all LFE, they don’t have a nasty ring to them, the drivers used can be used in any alignment at any time if you get board and want to upgrade umm try something different (hard to beat a Dev). Yes, they are big though and not as efficient as a horn (but still very efficient). If it fits, this is what you want in either a 18” or (hopefully) a 21” version.

Just my $.02, good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts