Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about `Hot Air` popcorn machines? I just like the idea of not using all that oil `n such.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Glenn

·
Registered
348 Posts
we usto have a hot air popcorn machine when i was yung it was nice even melted my butter for me it was nice and very little clean up compared to a popcorn machine but i think the air will never be as good as the oil style ines you just dont get the taste

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I used one for many years. It's convenient, with a lot less clean up. But the popcorn was a lot more chewy and breaks up more. It also wasted a lot of kernels (which also go into the bowl!).

Carey

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
IMHO, I don't think the Air process is as good as oil popped or microwave. The heat transfer is much slower and allows more time for the moisture in the kernel to leak out before the kernel pops. As a result, I think you will find the popped kernels slightly smaller and less tender. The microwave process is not bad as it combines the oil along with a heated susceptor in the bottom of the bag so the whole process is about 3.5 minutes and the susceptor gets very hot. The oil popper works best when you put the kernels into the hot oil. Never put kernels into cold oil and let the system heat up or you will get poorly popped corn. Like most everyone else, I had one of the air poppers and now never use it. If I don't fire up the big popper I go for Pop Secret's Jumbo Pop in the microwave.

..Doyle

·
Registered
311 Posts
I bought this from BB&Beyond, but also carried at Walmart.com, etc...

Cute little accessory, especially if you have more of a double-duty media room vs dedicated theater and/or don't have room for a "real" antique-looking popper.

But, as mentioned it wastes a ton of kernels, and frankly they go all over the place. Until I break down and get a 4-oz machine, I'll probably stick to microwave, except when my nephews are over and want to watch it pop.

Good, fairly cheap prop, though.

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/08/26/77...01_500X500.jpg

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
hi, i use one of the small replicas like the picture as well.they are cool for kids to look at,etc... but they do really waste alot of kernels.if you decide to get one goto ebay and do a search for them..i got mine brand new for $14.

brickie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.