AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
5141 - 5160 of 25503 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,141
Monday's network prime-time ratings - and Marc Berman's analysis of the first night of the 2005-2006 network prime time TV season --have posted near the top of Latest News the first item in this thread.

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,142
CBS survives without 'Raymond'
Down just 13 percent versus last year's debut night

MediaLifeMagazine.com---One of the biggest questions about the broadcast season heading into premiere week was how CBS would fare on Monday nights without longtime comedy anchor Everybody Loves Raymond.

After one night, the not surprising answer is not as well as last year but perhaps better than CBS had anticipated against tougher than usual competition.

CBS averaged a 4.9 rating among viewers 18-49 last night, according to Nielsen overnights, a 13 percent decrease versus the 5.6 it averaged last season for its Monday premieres.

That came opposite the much-hyped Hurricane Katrina relief benefit on ABC's Monday Night Football, which started at 7:30 p.m. and averaged a very strong 6.2 for the entire night. ESPN also had Katrina-themed coverage.

CBS needed Two and a Half Men to do well if it has any hope of staying strong on Monday, and it did.

Men posted a 5.2 overnight rating last night, down just 5 percent compared to a 5.5 overnight rating for last season's premiere, and down 12 percent from the 5.9 Raymond premiered with in that slot last year.

Men was also down 5 percent versus the 5.5 rating it averaged last season, and down 9 percent from what Raymond' averaged in that timeslot last season. In all, not a bad dropoff.

CBS's two-hour comedy block was as a weaker lead in for its hit drama CSI: Miami, whose premiere averaged a 6.5 overnight rating, down 18 percent versus a 7.9 overnight rating for last season's premiere and down about 3 percent from last season's 6.7 average rating.

Perhaps the night's biggest disappointment was a so-so debut for the much-hyped new comedy How I Met Your Mother at 8:30 p.m. Though it bettered its lead-in, it only averaged a 3.6, behind the debut of NBC's new drama Surface.

ABC led the night among 18-49s with a 6.2 average rating and a 15 share. CBS finished second at 4.9/12, NBC third at 4.2/10, Fox fourth at 2.7/7, UPN fifth at 1.5/4 and the WB sixth at 1.3/3.

At 8 p.m. ABC led with a 6.4 average for its coverage of the NFL game between the New York Giants and the New Orleans Saints. NBC was second with a 3.7 average for Surface and CBS third with a 3.5 average for premieres of the comedies The King of Queens (3.4) and Mother (3.6).

Fox's Arrested Development and Kitchen Confidential debuted to a disappointing 2.0 apiece.

With the Giants-Saints game switching in most markets to ESPN for the game between the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins, ABC led again at 9 p.m. with a 6.5 average rating. CBS was second with a 4.8 average for Men (5.2) and Out of Practice (4.4) and NBC third with a 4.6 average for the season premiere of Las Vegas. Fox's Prison Break averaged a 3.8.

CBS took the lead at 10 p.m. with its 6.5 average for the CSI: Miami premiere. ABC was second with a 5.8 average for MNF and NBC third with a 4.4 average for the season premiere of Medium.

Among households, ABC led the night with a 10.6 average rating and a 16 share. CBS finished second at 9.5/14, NBC third at 7.8/12, Fox fourth at 4.0/6, the WB fifth at 3.1/5 and UPN sixth at 2.6/4.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa /forum/post/0

Murdoch's Station Break
Fox Station Group may sell small-market outlets

By John M. Higgins -- Broadcasting & Cable, 9/19/2005

Station owner Raycom cut a deal to sell to Liberty Corp. for $877 million, or around 12 times operating cash flow.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...&referral=SUPP

I live in a market with TWO major network affiliates (not counting PBS or a (sorta) UPN), the NBC station (the number one station in my market) is owned by Liberty Corp., and the local FOX affiliate is owned by Raycom Media. By local NBC affiliate didn't say anything about this, but the FOX affiliate had it on their webpage, but they made it out like Raycom bought Liberty Corp.?!

~Alan

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,144
This fall, Tuesdays are Fox's to lose
With 'House' a hit, much will ride on 'Bones'

By Toni Fitzgerald MediaLifeMagazine.com

Everyone knows that come January and the return of American Idol, Fox will dominate Tuesday nights. But this fall Fox may well dominate Tuesdays even before Idol's return.

Credit will go to the returning "House" and the new "Bones."

House became a big hit at 9 p.m. last year, leading out of the reality show, and last week it debuted to strong numbers, with the promise of providing Fox a major boost for the night this fall.

Citing shows like "House," many buyers have been predicting a winning fall for the network. And a strong fall would give Fox a huge advantage heading into first quarter.

Last year, with a far weaker Tuesday, it was in fourth place for the night and in fourth place in overall ratings going into January.

Against minimal competition last week, the return of House, paired with the premiere of Bones, averaged a 4.9 in 18-49s, more than enough to win the night. If those numbers hold, the two shows could well own the night into January.

As for the other Big Three networks, they're making some very risky Tuesday moves in anticipation of Fox's first quarter dominance, and how they fare will depend on how their new shows fare.

CBS could finish second on the strength of its gaining NCIS and the returning Amazing Race. Last year it tied for NBC for second with a 3.7 average on Tuesdays.

Its new 10 p.m. drama Close to Home, from Jerry Bruckheimer, hasn't excited media buyers, but it may improve on former timeslot occupant Judging Amy's low 18-49 average.

NBC has the riskiest hour of the night at 9, one that could pull it into second or drop it to fourth. Much will depend on its My Name Is Earl, which debuts tonight.

Media buying agency Carat USA is so impressed by the new show that it's predicting that NBC will finish first among 18-49s on the night.

But others have their doubts. "Earl" is a sophisticated comedy much like Scrubs, which occupied the timeslot last season and averaged just a 3.1. NBC has struggled in the 9 p.m. hour since Frasier left in 2004. The night was not helped by The Office, which aired a 9:30 and averaged only a 1.9.

This fall "The Office" follows "Earl," and at least one researcher thinks it's a poor match.

Whatever resulted in these comedies making the cut, they don't seem at all compatible with one another, and seems to be a sign of weak comedy development at NBC, writes Magna Global USA's Steve Sternberg in his preseason preview.

Another bad sign: 8 p.m.'s Biggest Loser premiere was down 23 percent last week from last year's 4.3 average. The 10 p.m. Law & Order: Special Victims Unit should easily win its timeslot and could make up for the night's earlier miscues.

ABC has the night's most extensive revamp. At 8 it's pairing According to Jim, which averaged a 3.9 last year at 9, with second-year sitcom Rodney. The pair could finish second in the timeslot behind Bones.

But the female-focused Commander has received mixed reviews at 9 p.m. Carat predicts it will be ABC's biggest new hit. Other media buyers, pointing to House's continued strength, say it could fail big time.

At 10 p.m., Boston Legal relocates from Sunday. Though ABC calls the show a hit, it was losing a good portion of Desperate Housewives' lead-in, and it won't have that padding here.

ABC could well finish fourth again on Tuesdays after averaging a 3.3 last season.

The WB is in great shape with Gilmore Girls stronger than ever and last week's Supernatural holding more than 80 percent of its lead-in audience.

UPN has all but given up on Tuesday it seems, scheduling America's Next Top Model repeats and the Melrose Place wannabe Sex, Love and Secrets" at 9 p.m., which Media Life readers tabbed as one of the new shows with the least potential.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/New...s2tuesday.html

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan /forum/post/0

I was especially happy to see the two above win. Arquette was fantastic all season long with a role that must have been very difficult to pull off and be close to being believable. That particular episode of House was an instant classic IMO and I believe it will stand up well years from now, truly a cut above.

Agreed! I only got to see the first two episodes of "Medium", but I thought PA did great at it!

I meant to try and watch "House", but I work late on Tuesday nights and taped "Scrubs", but after I got my HD-TiVo, I set a "Season Pass" for "House", and a repeat of that episode is the first episode I got to see of the show.

~Alan

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

Quote:

I share your feeling about "Raymond". What a shameful waste of a vote for the various winners from that show.

Yes, they did nine seasons, and a number of them were pretty good TV, but to give the awards this year would have been laughable if it weren't so foolish.

"Raymond" was a GREAT show (a classic for sure), and while I can certainly understand why they got the awards this year, I do feel that this last season wasn't that spectacular. I probably would have given the OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES award to Peter Boyle, but then given the OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES to Jessica Walters.

Quote:

edit: I would have picked Hugh Laurie for best actor in a drama, but Spader would have ranked fifth on my list.

Hugh Laurie would have gotten my pick for sure, but then I don't watch "Boston Legal", and William Shatner's win over Naveen Andrews and Terry O'Quinn surprised me, as did Felicity Huffman's win.

~Alan

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,147
House Gets Additions

Variety is reporting that Fox has ordered two more episodes of House. That would bring this season's total order to 24 episodes of the Tuesday night drama.

(Of course that also means there still will be 28 weeks without an original "House" when other networks and cable competitors will be able to freely poach the "House" viewers.)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
if it wasn't for this thread, i would never give some of these shows a chance. heck, i wouldn't even know what was coming and when they started.

sunday night i sat on my couch with my laptop on the first page of this thread setting up my season passes. I guess when you Tivo you need to get your information on the internet on what shows are coming, cause you skip all the ads for new shows.

By the way, Prison Break and Surface are keepers so far. I love the pace of Prison Break. I think Fox has a hit with that one.

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,149
'My Name is Earl,' urbane cornpone
NBC sitcom only looks dumb. That's by design

By Steven Rosen MediaLifeMagazine.com

On first description, My Name Is Earl sounds like an attempt by NBC to dumb down its heritage of classy, urbane sitcoms and improve its sagging ratings in the rural and conservative red states. Looks can deceive. This is a show so subversively, so outrageously cool that Larry David would appreciate it.

Jason Lee plays a blue-collar yahoo who drives a beat-up El Camino and steals from cars at convenience stores. He has a hot and trashy blonde ex-wife and a drunken and loutish brother who gets chased by cops a lot. When Earl's not doing time himself, he's scheming for a buck.

But this is not Hee Haw with a plot. Nor is it a hick version of the blue-collar According to Jim. Maybe it's best thought of as a post-Seinfeld, post-modernist version of Dukes of Hazzard. Creator Greg Garcia's show is hip and irreverent, sophisticated even when its characters do dumb things, and slyly winking at an audience bright enough to get its references and be intrigued by its stylishly cinematic production values.

In short, it's another intelligent NBC comedy -- only in disguise. And that makes this brave, clever attempt to shake up the staid world of sitcoms both praiseworthy and risky. This is a major departure from the network's stale world of big-city-singles shows, yet its zippy aesthetic can be appreciated by those very educated singles who identified with Friends or Seinfeld.

Its problem may be that it's so offbeat that it may have trouble connecting with the demographic most inclined to get its humor. In that regard, it may have a problem similar to the one facing the equally hip and offbeat NBC sitcom that follows it on Tuesdays, The Office.

But then again, maybe not. Unlike the dry, droll Office, Earl has an earthy, sexy, sometimes-foul-mouthed natural exuberance that is winning to anyone who sees it. It also has a terrific actor in Lee, a one-time professional skateboarder who has made a name for himself in films like Vanilla Sky and Heartbreakers as a weirdly friendly sidekick who may or may not be smarter than he looks.

In Earl, he accomplishes being both shifty and sincere. His Earl is a reprobate but also a teddy bear with his thick mustache, messy shock of hair and bright engaging smile. He's not exactly harmless but appears likely to hurt himself as much as anyone else. And proving a good foil for him is Ethan Suplee as his fast-drinking, slow-witted brother, Randy.

The opening episode is about Earl finding karma, an indication of how hip the show really is. No sitcom going after a hardcore NASCAR audience would base its first episode around a Buddhist concept about seeking balance in life.

He discovers karma by watching Carson Daly discuss the concept on TV. He then decides to right all his past wrongs and gain positive karmic standing by becoming kind-hearted. He is helped on his road to recovery by winning $100,000 in a scratch-game lottery. This somehow leads to Earl attempting to make up to a timid former childhood nemesis by sending him an ugly hooker as a gift. Complications ensue.

There's a goofball, put-on aspect that those familiar with indie films like Bottle Rocket, Opposite of Sex or American Splendor will recognize. It also has the cinematic structure of such fashionably edgy movies with its fragmented narrative, deadpan narration and an active camera that whooshes and slides in and out of flashbacks faster than Earl can rev his El Camino.

One might detect in Earl a satire on the quasi-religious do-gooder TV series like Highway to Heaven, Touched by an Angel and Amy Grant's new Three Wishes (also on NBC). But if that's the genesis, so to speak, of the show, it's not the point of it. The point is just to have a good time, but to be very smart and original about achieving it.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/New...s3tuesday.html

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,150
Thanks, slocko.

I am glad you are using this thread the way it was meant to be used.

And I am even happier if it has let you find some new shows you might have overlooked!

I'll get the Thursday, Friday, and Sunday premieres up soon -- probably later today

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,151
TV SEASON PREVIEW
Handicapping this season's shows

By Mark McGuire Albany Times Union

"Sons & Daughters" is a smart, inventive ABC comedy slated to debut at mid-season. Critics, as they say, are raving about the partially improvised comedy; many have said it's among the best pilots they've screened this year.

Which may mean it's dead before it even airs.

"I feel like I should be starting a 'Save this show' campaign now," Manuel Mendoza of The Dallas Morning News said to me. In July.

If television critics had their way, "EZ Streets" would be entering its 10th season, "Arrested Development" would be the most-watched show on television, and "According to Jim" would be a distant memory.

Sometimes critical and commercial success mesh, as with "Desperate Housewives," "Lost" or even "The Sopranos." But more often than not, critics bestow praise on shows because of their original or idiosyncratic qualities -- the very elements that make them long shots in the ratings game.

A multitude of factors contribute to the creation of a hit. Quality is one, but it's often less important than time slot, network, genre and good marketing.

I usually review shows based on what I like or dislike, and why. For a change-up, let's handicap the first-year network shows based on which ones have the best chance of commercial success or failure, regardless of quality:

C B S

Hit: "Close to Home" (10 p.m. Tuesdays). A crime drama about a female prosecutor who returns to work after becoming a mom; it's a smart procedural that will draw men and women.

Miss: "Ghost Whisperer" (8 p.m. Fridays). Anybody remember Jennifer Love Hewitt's last series, "Time of Your Life" (1999)? "Whisperer" is a bad show in a bad time slot.

Wait and See: "Threshold" (9 p.m. Fridays). With three serialized sci-fi dramas debuting this fall, will this be the one to catch on?

A B C

Hit: "Invasion" (10 p.m. Wednesdays). Another of the sci-fi dramas, and maybe the best. For a show like this, you can't do better than following "Lost."

Miss: "Freddie" (8:30 p.m. Wednesdays). There are worse comedies out there, but not many. The appealing Freddie Prinze Jr. is not enough here.

Wait and See: "Commander In Chief" (9 p.m. Tuesdays). The Geena Davis-as-president drama is in a tough time slot.

N B C

Hit: "Three Wishes" (9 p.m. Fridays). This feel-good reality show starring Amy Grant is perfect on what's often a tough night for luring viewers.

Miss: "Inconceivable" (10 p.m. Fridays). A fair drama in an awful time slot.

Wait and See: "My Name is Earl" (9 p.m. Tuesdays). Reminiscent of "Arrested Development." Will anyone besides critics watch?

Fox

Hit: "The War at Home" (8:30 p.m. Sundays). In the classic mold of a dysfunctional Fox family.

Miss: "Reunion" (9 p.m. Thursdays). Intriguing concept, but this serialized drama doesn't deliver the goods.

Wait and See: "Prison Break" (9 p.m. Mondays). Loved the pilot, but -- again -- is there enough time in the week for viewers to catch every episode, a must under the serialized format?

The WB

Hit: "Twins" (8:30 p.m. Fridays) As a comedy it's only middling, but it fits perfectly into the network's Friday night block.

Miss: "Related" (9 p.m. Wednesdays) There are a lot of changes to this show that seems to be cast and shot on the fly.

Wait and See: "Just Legal" (9 p.m. Mondays) Don Johnson does not fit into the WB star mold, but his series is pretty good.

UPN

Hit: "Everybody Hates Chris" (8 p.m. Thursdays). The comedy conceived, inspired and narrated by Chris Rock may be the best show of the season.

Miss: "Sex, Love & Secrets" (9 p.m. Tuesdays). Generic youthful soap that may catch fire or, more likely, crash and burn in one of the most competitive time slots on television.

Wait and See: "Love, Inc." (9:30 p.m. Thursdays). See: "Related."

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/sto...StoryID=400672

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

Quote:

Hit: "Close to Home" (10 p.m. Tuesdays). A crime drama about a female prosecutor who returns to work after becoming a mom; it's a smart procedural that will draw men and women.

DANG!! I meant to set this to tape!

~Alan

·
Registered
8,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon /forum/post/0

Hugh Laurie would have gotten my pick for sure, but then I don't watch "Boston Legal",

Well initially Hugh would be my pick too ... OTOH, Spader takes "over-the-top" to sublimely new levels on "BL." Some of the Spader/Shatner bits had me laughing hystericaly ... I was just starting to really look forward to BL, when it got pulled for Grey's A. OTOH, perhaps Shatner and Spader were nominated in the wrong catagories

CooCoo for CoCo-puffs!

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,154
An interesting take on tonight's prime time schedule. (Note: all times are ET/ PT.)
TV SEASON PREVIEWS: TUESDAY
What Shows To Watch?
(You'll Be Channel-Hopping All Night Long)

By Walt Belcher Tampa Tribune

Put the remote control into overdrive tonight. We have a dance-off, three season finales and the return of "Nip/Tuck," "Boston Legal," "The Office," "NCIS," "Law & Order: SVU" and "America's Next Top Model."

Kelly Monaco and John O'Hurley square off at 8:30 tonight in a 90-minute rematch of the two favorites from ABC's summer hit "Dancing With the Stars."

It's a two-parter: They compete tonight; viewers vote and the winner will be crowned on Thursday night.

"General Hospital" star Monaco won the summer series in an upset over O'Hurley, who appeared to be an audience favorite. Monaco has her fans, too. Dancing skills may not mean as much as O'Hurley's hammy charm or Monaco's sexy outfits and good looks.

FINALES TONIGHT: CBS' "Big Brother 6" picks a winner at 9. Hurricane Katrina made this pitiful reality show about bickering, ego-driven fools who share a house seem all the more meaningless.

UPN's "R U the Girl" also names a winner at 9. This one had singers T-Boz and Chilli, of the group TLC, trying to pick a singer to make them a trio again. Original group member Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes was killed in a car accident in 2002. (It follows the return at 8 of "America's Next Top Model." )

CBS' "Rock Star: INXS" ends at 10. This competition finds a singer for '80s rock band INXS. The band's original lead singer, Michael Hutchence, died under mysterious circumstances in 1997.

L&O EMOTIONAL: NBC's "Law & Order: SVU" returns at 10 with a mission to win Emmys for its leads. Look for darker and more emotional stories this season. Detective Stabler (Chris Meloni) is headed for a major meltdown.

CBS' "NCIS" picks up on the cliffhanger season-two finale, in which Special Agent Caitlin Todd (Sasha Alexander) was gunned down. Alexander wanted to leave, and they really sent her off. She's back at 8 tonight for a guest appearance.

Lauren Holly joins the cast as the new NCIS director, a former lover of Agent Gibbs (Mark Harmon).

NBC LAUGHS: A new season of "The Office" at 9:30 follows the highly touted "My Name Is Earl" (see story, BayLife-1). This remake of a British hit struggled to find an audience last season. NBC is hoping people will discover it. Steve Carell, who scored at the box office this summer in "The 40 Year-Old Virgin," plays the world's most insensitive boss.

NIPPING & TUCKING: The kinky, freaky "Nip/Tuck" returns to FX at 10 in all its gory detail. In the final moments of last season's season finale, the psycho known as "The Carver" was about to attack Miami plastic surgeon and woman chaser Christian Troy (Julian McMahon). Tonight's opening will give viewers a scare and a shock -- for a few minutes.

However, the really gross moments come during the graphic removal of some leaking breast implants. An extremely obese woman whose skin has bonded to the couch she has been sitting on for three years is also encountered.

This season, Troy's physician pal Sean McNamara (Dylan Walsh) will have a fling with the wife (Anne Heche) of a mob boss who asks Sean to alter her looks.

http://info.mgnetwork.com/printthisp...ologo80x60.jpg

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,155
An Emmy moment for Peter Jennings
'ABC World News Tonight' wins three awards

By Heidi Dawley MediaLifeMagazine.com

One night after former news anchors Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw and the late Peter Jennings were honored at the primetime Emmy Awards, they received similar kudos at the News and Documentary Emmy Awards last night.

CBS's Rather, who retired last spring, received a lifetime achievement award and NBC's Brokaw, who left in December 2004, was honored for NBC Nightly News' coverage of President Reagan's funeral.

But Jennings' ABC World News Tonight was the biggest winner. It collected three awards, the most for any nightly newscast. Two of them were for the international stories the former foreign correspondent was best known for.

It was Peter Jennings' legacy to cover foreign news as aggressively as possible, and he forced us and his competition to do that for years, said World News executive producer Jonathan Banner.

While Jennings, who died last month from lung cancer, received sentimental attention, Rather's tributes were more pointed.

He spent the earlier part of the night excoriating newsrooms across the country for what he termed a climate of fear during an appearance at Fordham University Law School. He complained that politicians are applying pressure to the big companies that own the broadcasters, resulting in softer reporting. He also ridiculed cable news.

Rather was forced out from the CBS anchor chair after last year's botched 60 Minutes II report on President Bush's National Guard service. He has insisted that the report was right, and last night several of those who paid tribute to him agreed.

Nightline's Ted Koppel praised Rather and gave a slap at CBS for not standing behind him. Harvard's Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics and Public Policy senior fellow Marvin Kalb said he thinks the Bush story was correct.

PBS had the night's biggest showing, winning six awards, one each for DNA, Frontline, National Geographic Specials, Nature, American Experience and Wide Angle.

ABC, CBS and NBC all won four awards. Cable news was led by HBO with three and Discovery Channel, Discovery Times and Cinemax winning two each.

Winners of the News & Documentary Emmy Awards:

OUTSTANDING COVERAGE OF A BREAKING NEWS STORY IN A REGULARLY SCHEDULED NEWSCAST

ABC World News Tonight with Peter Jennings: Battle of Fallujah (ABC)

OUTSTANDING CONTINUING COVERAGE OF A NEWS STORY IN A REGULARLY SCHEDULED NEWSCAST

ABC World News Tonight with Peter Jennings: Hidden War: Genocide in Darfur (ABC)

OUTSTANDING FEATURE STORY IN A REGULARLY SCHEDULED NEWSCAST

CBS News Sunday Morning: Net Gain (CBS)

OUTSTANDING INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM IN A REGULARLY SCHEDULED NEWSCAST

The CBS Evening News with Dan Rather: The Enron Tapes (CBS)

OUTSTANDING COVERAGE OF A BREAKING NEWS STORY IN A NEWS MAGAZINE

ABC News Nightline: Anatomy of Beslan (ABC)

OUTSTANDING CONTINUING COVERAGE OF A NEWS STORY IN A NEWS MAGAZINE

CBS News 60 Minutes: The Murder of Emmett Till (CBS)

OUTSTANDING FEATURE STORY IN A NEWS MAGAZINE

CBS News 60 Minutes II: Garden of Eden (CBS)

OUTSTANDING INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM IN A NEWS MAGAZINE

Dateline NBC: Children for Sale (NBC)

OUTSTANDING LIVE COVERAGE OF A BREAKING NEWS STORY--LONG FORM

NBC News Special: The Death and Funeral of Ronald Wilson Reagan (NBC)

OUTSTANDING CONTINUING COVERAGE OF A NEWS STORYLONG FORM

Wide Angle: Ladies First (PBS)

OUTSTANDING INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM--LONG FORM

FRONTLINE: The Secret History of the Credit Card (PBS)

OUTSTANDING INFORMATIONAL PROGRAMMING - LONG FORM

DOCday: In Rwanda We Say...The Family That Does Not Speak Dies (Sundance Channel)

OUTSTANDING HISTORICAL PROGRAMMING - LONG FORM

Reporters at War (Discovery Times Channel)

OUTSTANDING INTERVIEW

Dateline NBC: Bin Laden's Brother (NBC)

OUTSTANDING CULTURAL & ARTISTIC PROGRAMMING

Cinemax Reel Life: Bus 174 (CINEMAX)

OUTSTANDING SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND NATURE PROGRAMMING

DNA: The Human Race (PBS)

BEST STORY IN A REGULARLY SCHEDULED NEWSCAST

ABC World News Tonight with Peter Jennings: Iraq: Where Things Stand (ABC)

BEST REPORT IN A NEWS MAGAZINE

Dateline NBC: Children for Sale (NBC)

BEST DOCUMENTARY

America Undercover: My Flesh and Blood (HBO)

OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN A CRAFT: WRITING

Nature: Pale Male (PBS)

OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN A CRAFT: DIRECTION (TWO EMMYS AWARDED IN THIS CATEGORY)

National Geographic Specials: Arlington: Field of Honor (PBS)

American Experience: The Fight (PBS)

OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN A CRAFT: RESEARCH (TWO EMMYS AWARDED IN THIS CATEGORY)

ABC News Productions/Discovery Times: Declassified: Nixon in China Discovery Times Channel

Decisions that Shook the World: LBJ Discovery Channel

OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN A CRAFT: CINEMATOGRAPHY

Cinemax Reel Life: Balseros (Cinemax)

OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN A CRAFT: EDITING (TWO EMMYS AWARDED IN THIS CATEGORY)

America Undercover: Capturing the Friedmans (HBO)

America Undercover: My Flesh and Blood (HBO)

OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN A CRAFT: GRAPHIC AND ARTISTIC DESIGN

Virtual History: The Secret Plot to Kill Hitler (Discovery Channel)

OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN A CRAFT: MUSIC AND SOUND

National Geographic ULTIMATE EXPLORER: On Thin Ice (MSNBC)

OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN A CRAFT: LIGHTING DIRECTION & SCENIC DESIGN

Ten Days to D-Day (History Channel)

OUTSTANDING REGIONAL NEWS STORY: SPOT NEWS

WABC Eyewitness News at 11pm: Chopper 4 Crash

OUTSTANDING REGIONAL NEWS STORY:

INVESTIGATIVE REPORTING

WCAU NBC 10 News at 11pm: Dirty Little Secret

OUTSTANDING INTERNATIONAL NEWS STORY: BREAKING NEWS

Associate Press Television News (United Kingdom): Beslan

OUTSTANDING INTERNATIONAL NEWS STORY: CONTINUING COVERAGE

Netherlands Public Broadcasting (The Netherlands): Return to Beslan

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/New...s4tuesday.html

·
Premium Member
35,397 Posts

Quote:

Nip/Tuck' to cut deeper

I just got done watching the first 2 seasons of this on DVD, and it's a great show, very stylish with a very sharp edge(pun intended). Watched it upconverted to 1080i on a 73" display and it looked great, when oh when, is FX going to go HD?!?!

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,158
My Name Is Earl
Will karma smile on NBC's 'My Name Is Earl'?

By David Zurawik Baltimore Sun Television Critic September 20, 2005

Remember when NBC used to be known for its sophisticated sitcoms - savvy series like Seinfeld and Friends?

Well, hold tight to that memory, because NBC's reputation for comedy may never be the same after tonight's debut of My Name Is Earl.

The show stars Jason Lee in the title role as a lowlife, petty criminal who suddenly gets religion (of a sort) when he discovers a TV version of karma. With it, NBC, which last season plummeted to fourth place among the networks, seems to be struggling to attract the young men of Spike TV - and, perhaps, the women of the NASCAR circuit.

The series' premise is succinctly delivered in voiceover by Earl at the very start of the pilot: "You know that guy you see at the convenience store, sort of a shifty-lookin' fella who buys a pack of smokes, a couple of Lotto scratchers and a 'tall boy' at 10 in the morning - the kind of guy you wait to come out before you and your family go in? Well, that guy is me ... "

Earl has been doing bad things most of his life: Breaking into cars, robbing houses, beating up weaker men, regularly getting drunk, routinely disparaging members of minority groups - in general, living like a poster boy for rude and crude behavior.

But one day, Earl wins $100,000 playing scratch-off lottery, only to be hit by a car and lose the ticket on the way home. While lying in the hospital with a morphine drip in his arm, he sees and hears NBC late-night host Carson Daly attributing his success to the principle of karma, which is simplified to a bromide: "Do good things and good things will happen."

Earl immediately believes that he lost the Lotto ticket because of his nasty ways and sets out to make amends. He begins by listing wrongs he will try to right: "Burned down a barn at camp. Stole a cooler with a donated kidney in it. Stole a car from a one-legged girl. Peed in a cop car. Replaced Sheridan Lang's birth control pills with Tic-Tacs. Beat up Joy's nitpicking Internet friend. ..."

Joy (Jamie Pressly) is Earl's ex-wife and the target of endless sexist jokes. Earl's efforts to right his wrongs as delineated by his list structures the series.

The pilot features Earl trying to help a gay former classmate whom he once tormented. The portrayal of this man as weak and frightened and the notion that he needs Earl's help to fashion a meaningful life is simply offensive.

My Name Is Earl is not a stupid sitcom - that is what makes its sexist and homophobic jokes so maddening. The sitcom cleverly depicts Earl as a Capra-esque everyman who has seen the error of his ways and is trying to do good in his own bumbling manner. One criticizes the character at the risk of being called elitist.

But there is an implied superiority - even a sneer - beneath Earl's populist veneer. Viewers aren't encouraged to laugh at Earl, as much as they are with him - at the people on his list.

That might just be a formula for success in these mean-spirited TV times.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertai...al-artslife-tv

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,159
Nip/Tuck
True beauty of 'Nip/Tuck' is how it fleshes out deviant extremes

By Matthew Gilbert Boston Globe September 20, 2005

Spoiler alert: This review reveals plot twists.

FX's ''Nip/Tuck," which is back for its third season tonight at 10, remains gorgeously slick. Every element of every frame of the Miami-set drama has been exquisitely composed -- the savvy camera angles, the silvery lighting, the hyper-modern interior design. Even the meticulously plucked eyebrows of Julian McMahon's Dr. Christian Troy. They all come together to form an eerily beautiful TV atmosphere, one that's as coolly futuristic as the show's plots.

And more important, ''Nip/Tuck" also remains gorgeously sick, which is exactly how fans like it.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) About the morally complex lives of two cosmetic surgeons, ''Nip/Tuck" returns with as much bold boundary-pushing as ever. It's not just that Christian and Dr. Sean McNamara (Dylan Walsh) will operate tonight to detach an obese woman from a couch she hasn't left for three years. And it's not just that Christian asks for Kimber's hand in marriage after watching the porn star's new movie; or that young Matt McNamara (John Hensley) is obsessed with life coach Ava without knowing she's transgender. It's that all of these extreme situations occur at the same time. The drama on ''Nip/Tuck" is heightened enough to make you dizzy, and happily so.

The series has become a ratings hit for FX (last season's finale drew a whopping 5.2 million viewers) which may be why FX has not asked creator Ryan Murphy to tone down the material. Conventionality and safety would destroy ''Nip/Tuck," which thrives on its outrageousness, particularly in the sexual arena. The basic-cable show goes places even pay-cable products avoid, even if it doesn't feature explicit nudity. Last season, Sean made love to a life-size doll, and Sean and Christian formed two sides of a sexual triangle. This season, when a new doctor joins the practice (played by Bruno Campos), more eye-widening sexual twists are clearly in store, since he promises to have his own unusual tastes. Also, Matt discovers some uncomfortable truths about his own preferences, and pursues them next week with the show's trademark intensity.

Beginning last season and stretching into this one, ''Nip/Tuck" has taken on a murder-mystery plot as the psychopathic Carver continues to attack victims and slice up their faces. Tonight, Christian is recovering from a Carver attack that has left him not only physically injured but -- true to the show's weightiness -- deeply spiritually scarred. It's a familiar whodunit crime twist, but one made resonant by the writers, who clearly play the Carver's knife-wielding against that of the surgeons'.
The makers of ''Nip/Tuck" never keep it simple, which is simply excellent.

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles...tremes?mode=PF

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,160
My Name Is`Earl
A trailer-park hero shows a ton of heart

By Matthew Gilbert Boston Globe September 20, 2005

If you follow TV buzz, because it certainly follows you, you might already be a little burnt out on ''My Name Is Earl." It's the latest comedy the critics have been lavishing with advance praise all summer -- you know, the next ''Arrested Development" that you absolutely must watch or be doomed to a life of shame, despair, and aesthetic inferiority.

But if any sitcom can overcome your resistance to excessive hype, it will be ''My Name Is Earl," which premieres tonight at 9 on Channel 7. The NBC sitcom is so unpretentious and original, it will probably win you over on its own sweet merits. Like its hero, Jason Lee's Earl, it is askew, funny, scruffy, and unexpectedly touching. Interestingly, ''Earl" takes place worlds away from more familiar NBC urban sitcoms such as ''Friends" and ''Will & Grace," set instead in the heart of American trailer-park culture. If there's coffee involved here, it's served with Cremora and not steamed milk.

Lee, with a doltish mustache, is instantly likable as Earl, who narrates the show (which is made with no laugh track). You take one look at this guy, and you can tell his clothes smell like stale beer and crab cakes. Earl is a two-bit crook whose profound mellow borders on mental disability. One day he wins $100,000 in the lottery, then gets in a car accident and loses the ticket. On morphine in the hospital, he sees Carson Daly on TV (on NBC, natch) talking about karma -- ''You do good things, and good things happen to you" -- and he decides to change. And so Earl embarks on a journey to right all his wrongs, which range from littering to stealing trick-or-treat candy from kids.

Tonight's episode is filmed like a little indie movie -- it's being compared by some to ''Raising Arizona" -- with offbeat camera angles and comic edits. And it features vivid secondary characters who add to the eccentric vibe. Joy (Jaime Pressley) is Earl's soon-to-be-ex wife, a shrill opportunist who takes advantage of Earl's pronounced naivete. One drunken night six years ago, the two met and married -- but she conveniently forgot to tell him she was pregnant at the time. Earl's brother, Randy (Ethan Suplee), is a lump who lives on Earl's couch. And Sonny is a local dodo-brain who plays an ongoing game of beer-can tag with Earl. ''I know where your mama parks your house," Earl yells playfully at him.

The ''Earl" gang is loosely descended from the Clampetts of ''The Beverly Hillbillies," with Earl as Jed. We laugh at their stupidity and lack of sophistication, but then the show also makes them lovable and, in Earl's case, noble. Earl is a pickup-truck slacker who has been profoundly enlightened by a late-night TV host. Yeah, that's not the height of intelligence. But then he's wise enough to see the benefits of becoming a giving person, and so he's pursuing it in his unique way. Tonight, for his first act of penitence, he tracks down a guy he bullied as a kid, hoping to do him a favor. The resolution is slightly sentimental, but it's nonetheless hard to resist. When ''My Name Is Earl" does sentimental, after all, it still smells a little trashy.

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles..._heart?mode=PF

5141 - 5160 of 25503 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.