24201 - 24220 of 38687 Posts

·
Registered
64,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #24,202
TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
THURSDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)
From Zap2it.com's TV Grid - Jul. 19, 2018

ABC:
8PM - Take Two (Time Slot Premiere)
9PM - Match Game (Mario Cantone, Cheryl Hines, Adam Pally, Caroline Rhea, Neil deGrasse Tyson and Niecy Nash)
10PM - The Gong Show (Time Slot Premiere: Selma Blair; Ken Jeong; Yvette Nicole Brown )
11:35AM - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Jim Gaffigan; NFL player Antonio Brown; Imagine Dragons performs)
12:37AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - The Big Bang Theory
(R)
8:30PM - Young Sheldon
(R)
9PM - Big Brother (LIVE)
10PM - S.W.A.T.
(R)
11:35PM - The Late Show With Stephen Colbert (Denzel Washington; Rep. Joe Kennedy III (D-Mass.); comic Carmen Lagala)
12:37AM - The Late Late Show With James Corden (Amanda Peet; Johnny Knoxville; magician David Blaine)
(R)

NBC:
8PM - Ellen's Game of Games
(R)
9PM - Trial & Error (Season Premiere)
9:30PM - Trial & Error
10PM - Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
(R)
11:34PM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Pierce Brosnan; author Deepak Chopra; Pusha T and 070 Shake perform)
12:37AM - Late Night With Seth Meyers (Amanda Seyfried; journalist Katy Tur; Brandi Carlile performs; Emmanuelle Caplette sits in with the 8G Band)
1:38AM - Last Call With Carson Daly (Hayley Atwell; Mimicking Birds perform; James Norton)
(R)

FOX:
8PM - The Four: Battle for Stardom (120 min.)

THE CW:
8PM - Supernatural
(R)
9PM - Black Lightning
(R)

PBS:
8PM - The This Old House Hour
(R)
9PM - The Tunnel: Vengeance
(R)
10PM - Antiques Roadshow: Vintage Chicago
(R)

UNIVISION:
8PM - El Rico y Lázaro
9PM - La Bella y Las Bestias
10PM - El Chapo

TELEMUNDO:
7PM - Exatlón (120 min.)
9PM - Sin Senos Sí Hay Paraíso
10PM - El Señor de Los Cielos

NBCSN:
6PM - 2018 Tour de France: Stage 12 (3 hrs.)
9PM - Professional Fighters League: Uniondale, NY (120 min., LIVE)

ESPN:
7PM - MLB Baseball: St. Louis Cardinals at Chicago Cubs (LIVE)
10PM - X Games (120 min., LIVE)

BBC AMERICA:
8PM - Doctor Who: The Lost Episode (3 hrs.)

FREEFORM:
8PM - Marvel's Cloak & Dagger

GOLF:
8PM - 2018 Open Championship: First Round (4 hrs.)

HISTORY:
8PM - Mountain Men: Fully Loaded
9PM - Mountain Men (Season Premiere, 63 min.)
10:03PM - Alone (62 min.)

NICKELODEON:
8PM - Double Dare

BRAVO:
9PM - Southern Charm: Reunion Part 1
10PM - Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce (Season Finale)
11PM - What What Happens Live with Andy Cohen (Jim Gaffigan; Joel McHale)

CMT:
9PM - Nashville (62 min.)

USA:
9PM - Queen of the South
10PM - Shooter

BET:
10PM - The Grand Hustle (Series Premiere)

FX:
10PM - Snowfall (Season Premiere, 66 min.)

PARAMOUNT:
10PM - American Woman
10:30PM - Lip Sync Battle: Ben Higgins vs. Rachel Lindsay (62 min.)
11:02PM - Lip Sync Battle TMI: Michael Bolton vs. Pete Davidson

TruTV:
10PM - The Carbonero Effect
10:30PM - The Carbonaro Effect: Inside Carbonaro

COMEDY CENTRAL:
11PM - The Daily Show with Trevor Noah (Daveed Diggs and Rafael Casal)

MTV:
11PM - Nick Cannon Presents: Wild 'n Out
11:30PM - Nick Cannon Presents: Wild 'n Out

TBS:
11PM - Conan (From 2018 Comic Con: the Cast of The Predator - Olivia Munn, Keegan-Michael Key, Sterling K. Brown, Thomas Jane, Trevante Rhodes, Alfie Allen, Augusto Aguilera, Jake Busey, and Yvonne Strahovski; director Shane Black)

POP:
1AM - Big Brother After Dark (3 hrs., LIVE)

https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/?aid=gapzap

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Jul. 19, 2018

GONE WITH THE WIND & UNCLE TOM'S CABIN
TCM, 8:00 p.m. ET

TCM has shown Gone with the Wind enough times in recent years that its telecast no longer is news – although, with intermission and widescreen intact and with no commercial interruptions, it’s still one of the best ways of experiencing it.
Unless you have Verizon FiOS. They still don't have TCM in HD. :mad:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Unless you have Verizon FiOS. They still don't have TCM in HD. :mad:
Wow, that is shameful. Hard to understand why a cable company today would have any channel not in HD. The only SD only channels Spectrum has in my area are some broadcast sub-channels that probably are not available in HD anyway..

·
Registered
17,485 Posts
No, it is a split level. It has one bedroom down and one bedroom up....
Are you sure about that bedroom count? It's listed as a 3 bedroom...

Either way, knowing that people would definitely want to come by and look at it, if I bought it I would put the fake window back on the left wall area. I think it looks better with it anyway.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
My guide lists Bullitt for 8:00pm tonight on TCM.
GONE WITH THE WIND & UNCLE TOM'S CABIN was on lastnight. July 18. I know because I watched GWTW and saw UNCLE TOM'S CABIN come on after, it was a silent film.

·
UHD Addict
37,433 Posts
Wow, that is shameful. Hard to understand why a cable company today would have any channel not in HD. The only SD only channels Spectrum has in my area are some broadcast sub-channels that probably are not available in HD anyway..
FiOS still has over 180 channels in HD. But they dont come anywhere close to having them all.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nayan

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
FiOS still has over 180 channels in HD. But they dont come anywhere close to having them all.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
I think he means if they carry a channel it should be the HD version if there is available -- dont carry only the SD.

Friday is opening day at Saratoga Racetrack & FS2 HD starting 4:00pm will be expanding to show all the major races all 40 days of the meet thru Labor Day.
TVG will still show all the races.
So tomorrow Saratoga runs 1:00pm-6:45 then Del Mar 7:00-10:45 - my wallet is ready. :)

·
Registered
64,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #24,214
TV/Business Notes (Cable)
Paramount TV President Amy Powell Fired Over Inappropriate Comments
By Kim Masters and Lesley Goldberg, The Hollywood Reporter - Jul. 19, 2018

Five years after being tapped to lead the newly relaunched Paramount Television banner, Amy Powell is out.

The news was announced Thursday via an internal memo from Paramount CEO Jim Gianopulos in which he outlined "multiple individuals" who raised "concerns around comments" made by the executive in a "professional setting, which they believed were inconsistent" with Viacom's values. According to sources, the comments included racially charged language. Sources say the inciting incident occurred during a studio notes call for Paramount Network's First Wives Club reboot, which is being penned by Girls Trip co-writer Tracy Oliver and will feature a predominantly black cast.

Powell, who is said to have been a favorite of Viacom CEO Bob Bakish, allegedly made generalizations about black women that struck some on the call as offensive. A complaint was filed to human resources, who with the legal department, investigated the claims and those involved on the notes call. Sources say Paramount considered discipline but decided to fire Powell after she denied the allegations.

"Having spent the past several days conducting a thorough investigation into this matter and speaking to those who were present, our Human Resources and Legal teams came to the same conclusion, and we have made the decision to terminate Amy's employment, effective immediately," Gianopulos wrote. (Read the full memo, below.)

Given the sudden nature of her firing, a search for Powell's replacement will begin shortly. In the interim, Paramount COO Andrew Gumpert will oversee operational support, while Mireille Soria, Brian Robbins and Wyck Godfrey — presidents of Paramount Animation, Paramount Players and Paramount Motion Picture Group, respectively — will help lead the studio's team.

Hours after Gianopulos' memo to staff, Powell denied the allegations in a statement sent by her personal PR: “There is no truth to the allegation that I made insensitive comments in a professional setting — or in any setting," she said. "The facts will come out and I will be vindicated." Sources say Powell is considering taking legal action against the studio.

Powell was tapped to oversee Paramount Television in 2013, after spending two years leading the studio's digital arm. She has been the only president of the TV studio since. She has delivered hits including Netflix's 13 Reasons Why and TNT's The Alienist, among others. Since being promoted to run Paramount TV, Powell had been charged with monetizing the studio's roster of IP and book titles. She successfully drew George Clooney back to the small screen for Hulu's Catch-22 miniseries. He was poised to star but opted to take on a supporting turn to focus more on directing and producing the series. More recently, she garnered Emmy nominations for the limited series The Alienist (which is expected to score a second season). Powell delivered the studio's first Emmy nomination for Fox's Grease Live.

Amid her success at Paramount TV, Powell was among the executives who were in the mix for a job during the Roy Price administration at Amazon Studios. The executive got pretty far along in the process, but ultimately told The Hollywood Reporter that she decided to stay at the Viacom-owned company.

Paramount TV's roster currently includes Freeform's Girls Code; Hulu's Catch-22; Netflix's F Is for Family, The Haunting of Hill House, 13 Reasons Why and Maniac (starring Emma Stone and Jonah Hill); and Amazon's upcoming Jack Ryan, among others.

Powell's firing comes nearly a month after Netflix PR chief Jonathan Friedland was dismissed after repeated uses of the n-word at company functions.

Here is Gianopulos' memo in full:

Last week, multiple individuals came to us to raise concerns around comments made by Amy Powell in a professional setting, which they believed were inconsistent with our company’s values. Having spent the past several days conducting a thorough investigation into this matter and speaking to those who were present, our Human Resources and Legal teams came to the same conclusion, and we have made the decision to terminate Amy's employment, effective immediately.

Amy has made lasting contributions to Paramount in her 14 years with the company, including building a world-class team at Paramount TV. While it is incredibly difficult to part ways with a valued member of our community, it is imperative that we uphold our values and ensure that all employees feel safe and included in the workplace.

We will begin immediately looking for Amy’s replacement. In the interim, Andrew Gumpert, Paramount’s Chief Operating Officer, will provide operational support and Mireille Soria, Brian Robbins and Wyck Godfrey -- Presidents of Paramount Animation, Paramount Players and Paramount Motion Picture Group, respectively -- will provide creative input, where needed, to the incredibly talented Paramount TV team, which is very well-placed to continue the incredible growth of this division.

Importantly, I want to take this opportunity to remind everyone of the type of company and culture we’re committed to building at Paramount. It’s one of inclusion, honesty and accountability – where diversity is critical to ensuring that all ideas, backgrounds and perspectives are embraced and respected.

We will continue this conversation in smaller groups and on a companywide scale in the coming months and, in the meantime, I want us to take stock of where we are and explore what more we can do to foster a safe, supportive and inclusive workplace. Through direct engagement and an open dialogue, my hope is that we can undertake this progress together, in an environment where each and every one of our employees feels heard and valued.

Thank you for your continued hard work and ongoing contributions to this effort.

Best,

Jim

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/paramount-tv-president-amy-powell-fired-inappropriate-comments-1128620

·
Registered
64,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #24,215
No political comments, please.

TV Sports/Notes (Football)

NFL And Players Assn. Temporarily Suspend Anthem Rules Enforcement
By Bruce Haring, Deadline.com - Jul. 19, 2018

The National Football League and NFL Players Association have issued a joint statement that league and team policies regarding conduct during the national anthem will not be issued or enforced for several weeks as part of a standstill agreement between the two sides.

The move comes as word broke today of a special plan by the Miami Dolphins to punish players. The league and the Players Association were headed to an independent arbitration on the anthem policy.

Training camps open for rookies this week, and the pre-season starts Aug. 2 with the Hall of Fame game between the Baltimore Ravens and Chicago Bears.

The decision for a standstill temporarily avoids a potentially ugly dispute between the league and players who have become increasingly vocal about their right to protest during the national anthem. The Players Association contends that banning protests infringes on the players’ civil rights.

Under the current collective bargaining agreement, players can be fined a week’s salary or suspended up to four games for incidents deemed “conduct deterimental to the club,” which is the language contained in the Dolphins discipline manual.

The NFL was plagued last season with an anthem dispute that dominated headlines and, at times, threatened to overshadow the games. Sponsors, advertisers, and fans all chose sides in the dispute, while television ratings plummeted and the league endured negative publicity, including blasts from President Donald Trump several times.

The league solution was to come out with a new policy in May. The new rule said all players on the field must stand at attention during the anthem. Those that did not wish to do that should stay in the locker rooms. Teams would be fined for violations of the rules, and individual teams could take further steps. Today’s Dolphins reveal was the first indication that some teams planned to take such actions, creating a potential schism between employers and employees.

Now there’s a cooling-off period where the policy can be refined.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/nfl-and-players-assn-agree-to-temporarily-avoid-anthem-protest-rules-enforcement-1202430041/

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Are you sure about that bedroom count? It's listed as a 3 bedroom...

Either way, knowing that people would definitely want to come by and look at it, if I bought it I would put the fake window back on the left wall area. I think it looks better with it anyway.
All the sites I read said it was just a 2 bedroom house. But if it's 2500sf, hard to believe it only has 2 bedrooms. Someone could have made a mistake and everyone else used the same info.

·
Registered
64,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #24,217
TV/Critic's Notes (Cable)
Why you should add Syfy's 'Wynonna Earp' and 'Killjoys' to your watch list
By Kelly Lawler, USA Today - Jul. 20, 2018

Summer is not my favorite season. It's hot, it's sticky and public transit smells terrible. But, over the past few years, one summer tradition has turned late July into the most wonderful time of the year: Syfy's "Wynonna Earp" and "Killjoys" double feature.

The pairing of "Wynonna," a supernatural Western, which returns for a third season Friday (9 EDT/PDT) and sci-fi space thriller "Killjoys," which begins its fourth (10 EDT/PDT) is a match made in heaven. Or, rather, Purgatory, the mystical Western town that's the setting for "Wynonna."

Both are genre stories, obviously, but each has a female lead, quirky sidekicks and a knack for mixing action, humor, pathos and romance. They're also lighthearted and character-driven enough that if you don't feel like wading into their mythologies, you can simply enjoy the relationships and the humor. To be honest, I'm still confused by the magic green goo that's the most important plot point on "Killjoys," but I love it just the same.

"Wynonna" is a horror drama about Wyatt Earp's descendant Wynonna (Melanie Scrofano), who inherited supernatural powers from her great-great-grandfather. Armed with his gun, she has to kill "revenants" – demonic resurrections of outlaws Wyatt killed – that infest the town, along with other mystical threats. She's helped by her sister, Waverly (Dominique Provost-Chalkley); Doc Holliday (Tim Rozon); Dolls (Shamier Anderson), a government agent tracking supernatural occurrences; and, eventually, local sheriff's deputy Nicole (Katherine Barrell) and scientist Jeremy (Varun Saranga).

The draw of "Wynonna" is Scrofano's dry wit and devastating glare, the colorful cast of monsters of the week and fruitful romantic pairings, especially between Nicole and Waverly and Doc and Wynonna. I like to call "Wynonna" a knockoff of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" in the most affectionate way possible. It learned all the right lessons from the cult classic about melding the personal and the supernatural.

"Killjoys," on the other hand, could easily be compared to another Joss Whedon series: "Firefly." Set in outer space, the show follows a group of bounty hunters trolling the "Quad," a grouping of four planets linked culturally and economically. It stars the great Hannah John-Kamen – whose profile is on the rise thanks to roles this summer in "Ant-Man and the Wasp," "Tomb Raider" and "Ready Player One" – as Dutch, a talented former assassin with a complicated backstory. Supporting her are brothers John (Aaron Ashmore) and D'avin Jaqobis (Luke Macfarlane), one a friend, one a potential romantic interest.

The series is smart, well-thought-out science fiction, and, like other greats of the genre, is more than space-travel antics. The writers craft a detailed and (apart from the advanced technology) realistic world. The planetary system is just as full of racism, class and economic inequality as ours is, and the series includes these sociopolitical elements without seeming gimmicky or preachy.

At first "Killjoys" is pretty straightforward, but Dutch's past, and the conspiracy behind the bounty hunters' organization, quickly become more complex. The plot also incorporates the aforementioned green goo, which might have driven a less competent series off the rails. "Killjoys" manages to keep its head on straight, green goo and all.

Watching the two shows back-to-back is an exuberant combination that only comes once a year. "Wynonna" is the shot, and "Killjoys" is the chaser. And to be honest, Wynonna and Dutch would probably enjoy sharing a drink.

You can catch up on previous seasons of "Wynonna" on Netflix, and "Killjoys" on the Syfy site, app or on-demand.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/07/20/wynonna-earp-and-killjoys-add-these-syfy-shows-your-watch-list/792870002/

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
All the sites I read said it was just a 2 bedroom house. But if it's 2500sf, hard to believe it only has 2 bedrooms. Someone could have made a mistake and everyone else used the same info.
Wow.. all I can say is I'm glad I don't live in LA. I looked up what you could get for that here on Zillow. 1.7 million gets you a 6,900 sqft Mediterranean style house with what appears to be an indoor/outdoor swim through pool built in 2002.

·
Registered
64,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #24,219
No political comments, please.

TV Notes (Cable)

Bristol Palin to Join ‘Teen Mom OG’ Cast
By Alex Stedman, Variety.com - Jul. 19, 2018

Bristol Palin is joining the upcoming season of MTV’s “Teen Mom OG,” a source confirms to Variety.

MTV declined to comment on the news, which TMZ first broke.

Palin was thrust into the spotlight when her pregnancy was announced during her mother, Sarah Palin’s, unsuccessful run for vice president alongside John McCain in 2008. Bristol Palin was 17 when her son, Tripp Easton Mitchell Johnston-Palin, was born in December 2008.

Since then, Bristol Palin has appeared in a number of reality TV shows. She competed in “Dancing With the Stars” in 2010, finishing in third place, and returned to the ABC series for its all-star edition in 2012.

She also had a reality series on Lifetime, “Bristol Palin: Life’s a Tripp,” that lasted one season in 2012, and released a memoir, “Not Afraid of Life: My Journey So Far,” in 2011. As for scripted roles, she had a brief role in “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” in 2010 as a teenager dealing with an unexpected pregnancy.

Palin is now 27 and had two more children. She joins previously announced cast members Amber Portwood, Mackenzie McKee, Maci Bookout, and Catelynn Lowell. She replaces Farrah Abraham, with whom MTV cut ties earlier this year.

The next season of “Teen Mom OG” is set to air on MTV this fall.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/bristol-palin-teen-mom-og-1202879040/

·
Registered
64,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #24,220
TV/Production Notes (Streaming)
Disney is bringing back Star Wars: The Clone Wars
By Andrew Liptak, TheVerge.com - Jul. 19, 2018

During the 10th Anniversary Clone Wars panel at San Diego Comic-Con, creator and producer Dave Filoni announced that the show would return on Disney’s streaming service, finishing off the story that was widely considered to be left hanging after the show’s abrupt cancellation in 2013.

From 2008 to 2013, The Clone Wars ran on Cartoon Network, revealing the massive war that took place between the theatrical, live-action movies Episode II: Attack of the Clones and Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. It featured existing characters such as Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi as well as a number of original fan-favorite characters, including Anakin’s apprentice Ahsoka Tano and Captain Rex. In 2013, Lucasfilm announced that it was “winding down” the show, eventually sending its final, six-episode season to Netflix, while another unfinished story arc was written up as a novel, Christie Golden’s Dark Disciple. Lucasfilm and Disney then focused on creating a follow-up Star Wars animated show, Star Wars Rebels, set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope / Rogue One. After a four-season run, Rebels ended earlier this year. More recently, Lucasfilm announced a third animated show, Star Wars Resistance, set prior to The Force Awakens.

Filoni was joined by fellow producer Athena Portillo, Ahsoka voice actress Ashley Eckstein, Anakin Skywalker voice actor Matt Lanter, and series composer Kevin Keiner, who used the panel to look back over the production of the series. At the end of the panel, Filoni noted that barely a week went by when someone didn’t tag him on Twitter asking him to save The Clone Wars. He closed out the panel by screening a trailer, accompanied by the hashtag, #CloneWarsSaved . The room, packed with fans dressed as characters from the show, erupted into cheers.

The trailer opens with a long tracking shot featuring dialogue from Captain Rex before fading into text: “A war left unfinished… until now.” The rest of the trailer teases the lead-up to a massive battle mentioned in Star Wars lore, the siege of Mandalore. It shows the reunification of Ahsoka and Anakin, who parted by the end of the show’s fifth season. The battle is one of the final skirmishes of the Clone Wars, documented through flashbacks in E.K. Johnston’s YA novel Ahsoka, which featured the Republic’s forces going up against an army led by Phantom Menace villain Darth Maul.

According to StarWars.com, the show will return with a new season of 12 additional episodes via Disney’s direct-to-consumer streaming service, which is expected to launch sometime next year. When the service was first announced, Disney CEO Bob Iger noted that it would launch with new stories from the Star Wars universe, including a new, live-action Star Wars show, which will be written by Jon Favreau. Speaking with StarWars.com, Filoni cited the enthusiasm from the show’s fans, noting that “their love of these characters and stories hasn’t diminished” since the show went off the air five years ago. “Any opportunity to put the final pieces of the story in place is meaningful as a storyteller,” he said.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/19/17593108/star-wars-the-clone-wars-saved-disney-streaming-service-dave-filoni

24201 - 24220 of 38687 Posts