5621 - 5640 of 37446 Posts

·
Registered
63,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,621
Technology Notes
Why Knockoff Gadget Cables Aren’t Worth It
By Kif Leswing, Fortune.com - Nov. 5, 2015

If you’ve got a late-model Android smartphone or a high-end laptop such as the recent Apple MacBook, you might already have a USB-C charging cord lying around your house. If you don’t, you will soon—the tiny “future-proof” port will be standard on nearly every gadget, including phones, wearables, and speakers within a few years.

If you’re going to stock up on cables, here’s what you need to know:

Google engineer Benson Leung has been testing USB-C cables purchased off Amazon to see whether they actually do what they’re supposed to do. Turns out, a lot of inexpensive cables won’t work properly with Google products that use USB-C, like the Chromebook Pixel or the new Nexus smartphones.

USB-C is very exciting, as far as cords and connectors go. It’s reversible, so there’s no fumbling for the right way to plug it in. It transfers data quickly and can even be used as the cord to plug a monitor into your desktop. Most importantly, the connector and the cable it’s attached to not only charges phones, but it can also provide enough juice to power laptops as well. Well, that’s how it’s supposed to work.

“You may not just get weird behavior from your devices with these bad cables… What some these vendors are doing is downright dangerous,” Leung wrote on his Google+ page.

Leung has taken to calling out bad cable vendors in Amazon reviews under the username LaughingMan. So far, he’s reviewed 10 different cords and adapters and has found seven of them severely lacking. The biggest issue he’s found is that the cords won’t charge the Chromebook Pixel properly. Although some of the deficient cables will transfer data and power, they do it incorrectly, which could end up damaging your device in the long run.

Some of the cords won’t charge a laptop at all.

The main problem is a standards issue. Some USB-C cables are backwards-compatible with older USB ports, and in that case, sometimes the phone or computer will try to draw more power than the cable can handle, leading to “damage to whatever cable, hub, PC, or charger you plug” it into, according to Leung.

The reason someone would choose an off-brand cable over one sold by Apple or Google is price. Apple’s official USB-C cord for the MacBook is $29. Some of the cables Leung tested are as inexpensive as $8.99.

These third-party cables aren’t technically knockoffs — USB-C is an open standard that anyone can look up and use to make cables. But smaller vendors don’t have the same incentive to get the tiny details right in the same way that Google and Apple do.

Leung did give a few cables a five-star review on Amazon, certifying that they work with Google’s devices. He found that one $19 cable made by a company called iOrange-E “really exceeded my expectations for USB accessories made by 3rd parties” and certified that Belkin’s $20 cable is as “good as the ones that Apple and Google provide with and sell on their stores as accessories.”

What can you do to ensure you’re not buying defective cables? The easiest thing to do is to buy from Google and Apple, which are guaranteed to work with your phone or laptop. Otherwise, you could check the Amazon reviews for a verdict by LaughingMan.

http://fortune.com/2015/11/05/usbc-google-amazon-reviews/

·
Registered
4,491 Posts

·
Registered
63,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,623
Nielsen Overnights (Broadcast)
ABC tops Fox for first on Wednesday
Becomes first network to beat 'Empire'-fueled Fox in 18-49s
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Nov. 5, 2015

ABC became the first broadcast network ever to top Fox on a night when “Empire” aired, though the hugely popular drama took a bite out of ratings for ABC’s “Country Music Association Awards.”

The “CMAs” averaged a 3.8 adults 18-49 rating from 8 to 11 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights, down 16 percent from last year, when the show did not face “Empire.”

“Empire” was still easily the night’s top program in the demo with a 4.6, but Fox managed just a 2.0 for the night, with recently picked up new drama “Rosewood” drawing a 1.5 at 8 p.m.

“Empire” also topped the “CMAs” head to head, with the awards show drawing a 4.1 in the 9 p.m. hour.

It marked the third straight year ABC has won the first Wednesday of sweeps in the demo.

Elsewhere Wednesday, NBC’s “The Mysteries of Laura” drew its best rating since February, growing 0.2 from last week to a 1.2, despite the added competition from the “CMAs.”

NBC’s “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” topped CBS’s “Criminal Minds” with a 1.5 to the latter’s 1.4 at 9 p.m., the first time in a year “SVU” has beaten its fellow procedural in the demo.

CBS’s new drama “Code Black” posted a 1.2, up a tenth from last week at 10 p.m.

Top show of the night in 18-49s

Fox’s "Empire," 9-10 p.m., 4.6 rating.

Top show of the night in 25-54s
Fox’s "Empire," 9-10 p.m., 4.9 rating.

Top show of the night in total viewers
ABC’s "CMA Awards," 8-11 p.m., 13.58 million.

[CLICK LINK BELOW TO SEE WEDNESDAY NIGHT'S COMPLETE RATINGS]

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/flash-and-best-time-ever-hit-highs/

TV/Nielsen Notes (Broadcast)
For ‘Mom,’ a chance to grow up
The third-year comedy returns after a strong second season

“Mom” wasn’t CBS’s highest-rated show last season – far from it – but it was arguably the network’s most impressive one.

The comedy, which returns for its third season tonight at 9 p.m., posted series-high numbers after unexpectedly getting promoted to the timeslot behind top CBS comedy “The Big Bang Theory” last fall following some other programming snafus.

“Mom” held a respectable portion of “Bang’s” lead-in, and it impressed the network so much that eventually CBS promoted “Mom” to the 9 p.m. Thursday anchor spot for the final few weeks of last season.

The show continued to post good numbers even without airing directly behind “Bang,” something few sitcoms can claim to do.

That convinced CBS that the comedy, which averaged a 2.3 adults 18-49 Nielsen rating last season, should remain in the 9 p.m. slot this fall.

Of course, while “Bang” certainly helped get greater sampling for “Mom,” the show’s creative improvements were also an important part of its rise, with ratings up 10 percent in season two.

The show gave the lead characters played by Anna Faris and Allison Janney greater depth, recognizing the women’s talent for both comic and dramatic moments. The payoff has been more audience interest in their fates, which continues tonight as Janney confronts her own mother for the first time.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/for-mom-a-chance-to-grow-up/

·
Registered
63,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,624
TV Notes (Cable)
Idris Elba returns to TV as 'Luther' for one-night special
By Maria Puente, USA Today - Nov. 5, 2015

Good news for Idris Elba and Luther fans: He's coming back. Bad news: It's just for one night. But a cannibal is involved.

BBC America announced Thursday that Elba will return as the tormented London police detective John Luther for a three-hour movie special, Luther. (9-11 pm ET) on Dec. 17.

Elba, the Golden Globe-winner who's gone Hollywood in a big way — lots of fans think he should be the next James Bond — has been unforgettable as the self-destructive detective chief inspector who constantly skirts the line in tracking surprisingly plentiful psychopaths lurking in London's grittier precincts.

The series debuted in 2010 and has been a hit both in Britain and America.

BBC America describes the movie's plot as Luther's epiphany: He can't walk away, much as he would like to leave the darker side of humanity behind.

His chance for a normal life is thwarted when he’s drawn into a case involving a cannibalistic serial killer who "delivers a devastating blow that not only pulls him out of seclusion but pushes him closer to the edge than he’s ever been," according to the BBC America press release.

Luther is a guy who's been close to the edge many times. He lost his wife to a brutal murderer. His colleagues turned on him in a witch hunt. His friend and loyal sergeant died in his arms after getting caught in a crossfire. Luther even tried to forge a happy ending by hooking up with Alice Morgan, a beautiful, terrifyingly smart and amoral serial killer.

Still, he's drawn back to the fray, lured by the gruesome clues left by a body-part-munching killer. But Luther's demons continue to stalk him, not to mention the ghosts from his past. Isolated and even more volatile, Luther struggles to keep it together.

“I think Luther goes back just because he can’t stay away from it for too long," says Elba in a statement. "Ultimately, because he’s a protector, (he) just wants to be able to fix what he can see other people won’t be able to …”

Elba, 43, was nominated for an Emmy and a Golden Globe for his role as Luther, and won a Golden Globe in 2013. He also was honored at the 42nd NAACP Awards for outstanding actor in a television movie, miniseries or dramatic special.

Lately, he's appeared or is due to appear in several movies, including Beasts of No Nation, Star Trek Beyond, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and Zootopia. He's also voiced roles in Finding Dory and The Jungle Book.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/11/05/idris-elba-returns-tv-luther-one-night-special/75217182/

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
^^^ Here's more food for thought. ;)

TV/Business Notes (Streaming)
Willing to interact with an ad? You can watch some Hulu shows commercial-free if you do
By Yvonne Villareal, Los Angeles Times' 'Company Town' Blog - Nov. 3, 2015

Hulu is going to see whether viewer engagement can yield ad engagement.

Following the recent introduction of its ad-free tier, the steaming service will now offer uninterrupted viewing on its ad-supported tier for those consumers who engage with an interactive message before some shows.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-hulu-ad-engagement-truex-fox-20151103-story.html
I have the ad-free tier which is worth just for the time saved. Funny thing is last night watching the second episode of "Wicked City" when they faded to an ad break instead of fading back in after a couple seconds of black they just cut back into the next scene saving even more time. I would think this is to accommodate the new interactive ad service.

I didn't spot scanning through the items here but I also read elsewhere CBS has signed Simon Barry of "Continuum" to do a zombie series for All Access. Really? A zombie series? They're considered passee now. :D

The thing Moonves may not get is that people who are doing cable cutting are also planning to limit how many services they subscribe too. Maybe like me just Netflix and Hulu and buying an occasional series on places like Amazon or VUDU. Otherwise watching TV becomes a full time job! ;)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
TV Notes (Cable)
Fox News Devotes Entire Segment to Slamming ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’
By Beatrice Verhoeven, TheWrap.com - Nov. 5, 2015

“Star Wars” fans around the world are excited for “The Force Awakens,” but Fox News can’t understand why.

“Your World with Neil Cavuto” host Neil Cavuto sat down with “Star Wars” super fan Mike Gunzelman and guest Carley Shimkus, who seemed to have a great dislike towards the franchise. Cavuto tried to figure out what the hype was all about, with fans flocking to movie ticketing sites two months in advance and crashing Fandango.

Wonder if their negativity revolves around the fact the new movies will no longer be 20th Century Fox movies since Disney bought Lucasfilms?!

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
In reviewing the NFL schedule at 506Sports.com, I found another Sunday Night NBC game that should be flexed out. Week 15 - Bengals at 49ers (49ers are terrible).

Suggested replacement - [email protected] Keeps TV production trucks moving costs down - just have to go from Santa Clara to Oakland.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
In reviewing the NFL schedule at 506Sports.com, I found another Sunday Night NBC game that should be flexed out. Week 15 - Bengals at 49ers (49ers are terrible).

Suggested replacement - Pa[email protected] Keeps TV production trucks moving costs down - just have to go from Santa Clara to Oakland.
Gamble with that is would be the packs last allowed 6th primetime game making wk17 vikes/pack unflexable & that game could mean alot.

Kinda like timeouts if you have to use them you use them but its nice to keep 1 available in your pocket.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
The stupidity of some judges has finally reached Dancing With The Stars. :rolleyes:

An LA judge has refused to accept the contract between Bindi Irwin and DWTS because... She can't prove her father ("Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin) is dead. You know, the guy who got stung by a stingray. Back in 2006.

Some people have no clue.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/bindiirwin-to-refused-230k-dancing-6774812?ICID=FB_mirror_main

The judge is bound by the law and common knowledge is not sufficient proof. She needs to provide proper documentation to the court, which shouldn't be that hard.

·
Registered
63,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,632
TV Sports
College Football Friday Schedule
By 506sports.com Staff

FRIDAY, NOV. 6:

TIME (ET): / TEAMS: / NETWORK (Announcers):

8:00 PM / 23 Temple @ Southern Methodist / ESPN2: Dave Flemming, Mack Brown
8:00 PM / Rice @ UTEP / CBS Sports Network: Jason Horowitz, Derek Rackley
11:30 PM / BYU @ San Jose State / CBS Sports Network: Rich Waltz, Adam Archuleta

·
Registered
63,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,633
TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
FRIDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)

ABC:
8PM - Last Man Standing
8:30PM - Dr. Ken
9PM - Shark Tank
10PM - 20/20: Mystery on the Hudson
11:35PM - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (From Brooklyn: Bill Murray; Ryan Adams performs; ballet dancer Misty Copeland performs)
(R - Oct. 19)
12:37AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - The Amazing Race
9PM - Hawaii Five-0
10PM - Blue Bloods
11:35PM - Late Show with Stephen Colbert (Whoopi Goldberg; GOP candidate John Kasich; Glen Hansard performs)
12:37AM - The Late Late Show with James Corden (Allison Janney; Jesse Tyler Ferguson; Leona Lewis performs)
(R - Sep. 21)

NBC:
8PM - Undateable (LIVE)
8:30PM - Truth Be Told
9PM - Grimm
10PM - Dateline NBC: Under a Full Moon
11:34PM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Christoph Waltz; Lin-Manuel Miranda; Meghan Trainor performs)
12:37AM - Late Night with Seth Myers (Clive Owen; Rachel Dratch; fashion consultant Tim Gunn; Jeremy Gara sits in with the 8G Band)
(R - Oct. 26)
1:38AM - Last Call with Carson Daly (Scott Cooper; $wingin' Utter$ perform; Seaton Smith)
(R - Sep. 22)

FOX:
8PM - MasterChef Junior (Season Premiere)
9PM - World's Funniest

PBS:
(check your local listing for starting time/programming)
8PM - Washington Week With Gwen Ifill
8:30PM - Charlie Rose This Week
9PM - Great Performances - Chita Rivera: A Lot of Livin' to Do
10PM - OnStage in America: HONKY (120 min.)

UNIVISION:
8PM - Antes Muerta que Lichita
9PM - Pasión y Poder
10PM - Yo No Creo en los Hombres

THE CW:
8PM - Reign
9PM - America's Next Top Model

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - Celia
9PM - Bajo el Mismo Cielo
10PM - Señora Acero

HBO:
10PM - Real Time with Bill Maher (LIVE: Keith Olbermann; filmmaker Quentin Tarantino; journalist David Frum; journalist Jillian Melchior; former Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.).)

·
Registered
63,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,634
Obituary
George Barris, Batmobile creator and 'King of the Kustomizers,' dies at 89
By Todd Leopold, CNN.com - Nov. 5, 2015

George Barris, the Batmobile creator whose talent for turning Detroit iron into decked-out automotive fantasies earned him the nickname "King of the Kustomizers," has died. He was 89.

Barris died early Thursday morning, son Brett Barris said on Facebook.

"Sorry to have to post that my father, legendary kustom car king George Barris, has moved to the bigger garage in the sky," Brett Barris wrote. "He lived his life the way he wanted til the end. He would want everyone (to) celebrate the passion he had for life and for what he created for all to enjoy."

For many years, Barris' handiwork was all over the television screen. He created the Munsters Koach -- a combination of three Ford Model T's -- for "The Munsters"; the surfboard-topped, flower-decaled Barris Boogaloo for "The Bugaloos"; and the convertible version of KITT from "Knight Rider," among many.

But he was most famous for the Batmobile, a retooled version of a 1955 Lincoln Futura concept car that allegedly cost the Ford Motor Company $250,000.

When Ford was unable to make use of it, Barris picked it up for one dollar.

In the '60s TV show "Batman," the Batmobile was powered by atomic batteries, equipped with a radar scope and "bat beam," and slowed by parachutes. The latter really worked -- Barris was once pulled over on the Hollywood Freeway for using them.

Batman and Robin weren't the first fictional owners of the car. Barris had used the Futura in a 1959 movie, "It Started With a Kiss." He converted the car in "15 days and (for) 15 grand" for "Batman" when the original model, designed by Barris' rival Dean Jeffries, couldn't be made in time. (Jeffries designed the Monkees' Monkeemobile, among others.)

"It had a lot of  things I could use like the double windshields and double back windows and an arch down the center, and I could open up the wheel wells," he told Car and Driver in 2012.

Other versions of the Batmobile were customized Ford Galaxies.

Barris was born in Chicago and raised in California. He started fiddling with cars as a teenager, deciding right away he would become a customizer -- or, as he spelled it, "kustomizer."

"My first challenge was a '32 Ford and I put cat-eye taillights in it. I was paid $10," he told Car and Driver. "I said, 'That's my challenge. I'm going to be a customizer and make money.' I took the name 'custom' and, being a Greek, I took the 'c' out of it and made it a 'k' -- I wish I would have trademarked that. "

He later moved to Los Angeles and founded Barris Kustom with his brother, following a stretch when he hot-rodded them down L.A.'s Sepulveda Boulevard.

In 1964, his work was profiled in one of Tom Wolfe's most famous early articles, "The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby."

Barris was an in-demand customizer for celebrities and didn't restrict himself to quirky, or high-horsepowered, vehicles.

In 2005, The New York Times asked him to "pimp a Prius."

Among other things, he added a spoiler and painted the car Tangerine Gold-Astra Green.

"You could have no engine under there and it will still catch people's attention," he told the Times.

That was something Barris never had any trouble doing.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/05/entertainment/george-barris-custom-cars-batmobile-dies/index.html

·
Registered
63,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,635
Critic's Notes
In Defense of TV’s Good Guys
By Phoebe Robinson, Vulture.com (New York Magazine) - Nov. 5, 2015

There are few things in my life that can make any day feel like Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa. A McDonald’s employee accidentally putting an extra nugget in my ten-piece; a cab driver telling me I look like Halle Berry because he thinks I’m gorgeous or he thinks all black women look alike; and joining a group of late-20s/early 30s women who are passionately discussing the men of Sex and the City. A few weeks ago, I saw the following posted in a Facebook group I belong to: “Here’s an outdated debate for a Friday: Team Big or Team Aidan.” I was fresh off ending a four-year relationship, so I had recently rewatched the entire series and decided that Aidan is the greatest man of all time. I dipped my toe into the discussion, assuming that when I pledged my allegiance to Aidan, all the women in the thread would figuratively do the Hora and hoist me in the air. That did not happen. What happened was two hours of a back-and-forth that lasted 134 comments. And my Aidan Shaw was losing! By a lot.

This dream man — the good guy — who was thoughtful, loved Carrie immensely, and charmed all of her friends was losing to Big, the very rich and toxic partner who played with Carrie’s heart for six seasons before finally committing. WHAT? How is this possible? Why is the good guy who is emotionally available, great in bed, and has a successful career labeled “boring,” and passed over for the handsome bad boy? This happens all the time in TV and film, in everything from Rock Hudson versus Tony Randall in Pillow Talk to the more recent Team Rafael versus Team Michael on Jane the Virgin, and Scandal’s Jake and Fitz. It happens all the time in real life, too, and quite frankly, I’ve had enough. I’m sick of the good guys being amazing, only to lose the gal to some trifling dude with mommy issues. I’m here to defend the Good Guy, and I’m starting with the quintessential modern representation: Aidan Shaw.

During the aforementioned Facebook conversation, I asked some of the women to explain why they chose Big over Aidan. Some of the reasons made sense (the heart wants what it wants, and Carrie, deep down, just wanted Big more), but a lot of them made me scratch my head. Qualities such as attentiveness, thoughtfulness, and Aidan stripping her crusty hardwood floors were suddenly turnoffs. That’s it? You dislike him because he called Carrie “Ladybird,” asked her how her day was, and wanted her to meet his parents? You know what I dislike? When Big took a dump on Carrie’s heart by basically going, “I’m moving to Paris for work. Nope, I didn’t think about what this meant for our relationship. We can be friends, though. You’ll be in New York City, addressing shoes, ‘Hello, lovah’; and I’ll be in Paris, mainlining carbs and banging models. Friends forevs!” If I were dating a man like Aidan, I would be having all his babies, and we would raise our biracial kids to play jazz and model for United Colors of Benetton.

Now, some of you might be saying, “Of course you’re into Aidan. He’s played by John Corbett.” Yes, John spends his days and nights looking like a delicious Clif bar after a morning run. But his good looks are not why I’m ride-or-die for him. The truth is, Aidan is the type of man who would be a good father, be loved by my family, and would push me to be my best self. What’s so bad about that? Nothing. What’s so boring about that? Again, nothing! Good guys are where it’s at, and I’ve been feeling this way since the ’90s.

When I was 14, Felicity premiered on the WB, and I immediately fell for Noel (Scott Foley), the adorable RA vying for Felicity’s affection alongside bad-boy Ben, who couldn’t express himself emotionally and spoke in a whisper like he was watching Suffragette in a crowded Magic Johnson movie theater 24/7. (C’mon, dude! You’re out in these loud New York City streets. QUIT. WHISPERING.) Unfortunately, his low-talking ways were no deterrent for Felicity and, you guessed it, after four seasons, she chose him over Noel. While watching the good guy lose devastated me, it seems not to bother Scott Foley all that much.

Foley and his plush, goose-down-pillow lips are now playing Jake Ballard, the good guy, who loses the girl to President Fitz Grant, the bad boy on Scandal. Because Fitz is Olivia’s true love, Jake is friend-zoned and spends his time giving his ex-relationship advice (a habit he finally put an end to last week). D’oh! Jake is such a good sport that when he [SPOILER ALERT] killed Cyrus’s husband James in season three (for what turned out to be a good reason), I thought the good guy had snapped. I yelled at my TV screen, “Is this because Felicity chose Ben? Is this because Felicity cheated on you and lost her virginity to that that painter played by Simon Rex instead of you, even though she told you she wasn’t ready to cash in her V-card yet?” Of course, neither of those is the case. This is all scripted narrative. As often happens on television, the bad boy gets reformed/rewritten to be a good-ish guy, and the OG good guy gets nothing. (I don’t give a damn how charming Hugh Grant is in Two Weeks Notice — he was a fool for 93 percent of the movie until he realized he loved Sandra Bullock and tried to get her back.)

So let’s rewrite the story.

Enough with the woman spending two hours — or, if it’s a TV show, several seasons — having knockdown, drag-out fights, with the bad boy only to end up with him because he gives one moving speech. No more perpetuating the fantasy that being jerked around by a man is worth it in the end because he will change when he falls in love. Let’s stop acting like a man who is clear about his intentions, is open to love, and has a good head on his shoulders is “boring,” “lame,” and “not passionate like the edgy guy.” Aidan Shaw isn’t boring; he’s the complete package. Noel isn’t “lame”; he respects Felicity and treats her as his equal. Jake isn’t “not passionate”; he just isn’t ruled by emotion because he’s a grown adult who has learned to tame his impulses.

If the nine-month wait to see Book of Mormon on Broadway is shorter than the time it takes for the bad boy to learn how to say “I love you,” he’s not a catch. If the guy does not treat you with love and respect, does not cease-and-desist with all the game playing, is not willing to share his world with you, then he is bad for you. The fact that this type is propped up as the guy we should want to date is a bunch of crazy voodoo. The good guys should be taken, as my good friend Jessica calls it, “to the bone zone.” Then to the “marriage zone.” Then to the “we die together after 60 years together as our loved ones sit around the bed and watch us zone." These good guys, who will love us no matter our flaws, are the heroes of the love story. Because when it comes down to it, I think most of us would agree that it’s better to have an amazing guy who loves us as much as we love them and calls us “Ladybird” as opposed to a guy who doesn’t call us at all.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/defense-of-tvs-good-guys.html#

·
Registered
63,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,636
TV Notes
ABC Family Orders to Series Mystery Soap Guilt, Supernatural Drama Beyond
By Vlada Gelman, TVLine.com - Nov. 5, 2015

Meet the new dramas joining ABC Family/soon-to-be Freeform‘s slate: the sexy soap Guilt and the supernatural-tinged Beyond, both of which have received series pickups.

Guilt follows a young American woman (played by The Syndicate‘s Daisy Head) in London who becomes the prime suspect in the savage murder of her roommate/best friend. As the investigation unfolds, viewers and even the girl’s own sister (Arrow‘s Katrina Law) will question whether she’s innocent or a sociopath. The mystery will weave through all levels of London society, from a posh but depraved sex club to the Royal family. Billy Zane (Titanic) co-stars as a cocky and cunning defense attorney.

Beyond, meanwhile, centers on a young man (Homeland‘s Callan McAuliffe) who wakes up from a coma after 12 years and discovers he has supernatural abilities that entangle him in a dangerous conspiracy. Tim Kring (Heroes) is among the executive producers.

“These two shows are an exciting part of our evolution into Freeform,” Karey Burke, executive VP of programming and development, said in a statement. “Guilt is a sexy, sophisticated event series whose European location feels bigger than anything we have ever done. Beyond introduces our audience to a new hero and takes them into a complex supernatural universe with great suspense and deep emotion.”

http://tvline.com/2015/11/05/abc-family-freeform-guilt-beyond-series-order/

·
Registered
63,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,637
TV Notes (Cable)
Entire first season of Angie Tribeca to debut via marathon; season 2 ordered
By Katie Williams, IGN.com - Nov. 5, 2015

TBS is taking a different tactic with their upcoming Rashida Jones comedy series, Angie Tribeca, debuting the entire first season via a marathon - while also ordering a second season of the comedy before the debut.

All 10 episodes of the first season will air five times in a row in a marathon starting Sunday, January 17, 2016 at Sunday 9pm ET/PT, as well as through TBS' video-on-demand, digital, and mobile platforms. Then, beginning January 25, TBS will begin rolling out Season 2 (or "Seasons 2 to 11" as the press release joked, claiming each "season" consisted of a single episode).

Angie Tribeca is executive produced by Nancy Carell and Steve Carell and follows a squad of LAPD detectives investigating cases that range from ventriloquist murder to baker suicides.

The lone-wolf title character is played by Jones (The Office, Parks and Recreation), who is not happy when partnered with Jay Geils, played by Hayes MacArthur (Life As We Know It, Go On). Justified's Jere Burns plays the squad captain, while Deon Cole and Andree Vermeulen play other detectives on the team. The pilot will also feature guest appearances from the likes of Lisa Kudrow, Alfred Molina, Gary Cole, Nancy Carell and Matthew Glave.

"We are so incredibly proud of Angie Tribeca, we're going to shove it down America's throat in a really big way," says an "unnamed TBS spokesperson" in the press release.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/05/entire-first-season-of-angie-tribeca-to-debut-via-marathon-season-2-ordered

·
Registered
63,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,638
TV Notes (Broadcast)
ABC adds Battlebots season 2 to schedule
By Sarah Fox, TheSlanted.com - Nov. 5, 2015

It was confirmed today by ABC that the network has renewed “BattleBots,” the popular fighting tournament that has wowed audiences following its 2015 revival. The series comes from Whalerock Industries and the creators of the original “BattleBots” franchise, Ed Roski and Greg Munson.

During its first season, ABC’s “BattleBots” ranked as the No. 1 series in its time period in Total Viewers (5.4 million) and Adults 18-49, as well as across all key Men demos. “BattleBots” improved its hour year to year by double-digit percentages with Total Viewers (+10%), Adults 18-49 (+31%), Men 18-34 (+63%), Men 18-49 (+73%), Men 25-54 (+69%). In addition, the broad-appealing unscripted series was Sunday’s top-rated broadcast show of the summer with Kids 2-11. This according to the network’s announcement earlier today, made alongside the renewal confirmation.

The second season of “BattleBots” will continue to wow viewers with next generation robots – bigger, faster, and stronger than ever before. The robots will again wage battle in a single elimination tournament until there is one champion. The tournament will double in size and feature an expanded field to include expert roboticists, garage builders, families on a mission, as well as past winners returning to defend their turf. Viewers will see new technologies, more destructive bots, and even the possibility of drones and flying battlebots. The tournament will be open invitation with the bots and builders casting process beginning immediately.

MGM Television will be distributing the program internationally.

http://theslanted.com/2015/11/21324/abc-adds-battlebots-season-2-to-schedule/

·
Registered
63,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,639
TV Notes (Cable)
‘Maron’ Gets Season 4 Pickup On IFC
By Erik Pedersen, Deadline.com - Nov. 5, 2015

IFC has ordered a fourth season of Maron, its semi-autobiographical original comedy starring stand-up comic and podcaster Marc Maron as a fictionalized version of himself. Production on 13 half-hour episodes of the Fox 21 series begins in January for a spring debut.

The cable net descibes Maron’s character as the amiably gruff uncle you love to hang out with, fueled by nervous energy and usually leading you far astray towards improbable chaos. After falling off the wagon in the Season 3 finale, the next season will see Maron struggle to regain his sobriety — and attempt to find a deeper meaning to his life. “I got the character of me into a bit of trouble last season,” the comic said. “I hope I can get him back on track. The real me is doing fine.”

Maron created, executive produces and writes Maron, with Apostle’s Denis Leary and Jim Serpico also serving as executive producers, along with Michael Jamin and Sivert Glarum.

“Marc is easily one of the most audacious comedians around today, and his pervasive sense of angst and unease is something we can all relate to and can’t stop watching,” IFC President Jennifer Caserta said. “His take on society, and himself, is completely unfiltered and authentic and manifests into great comedic storytelling.”

http://deadline.com/2015/11/maron-renewed-season-4-marc-maron-ifc-1201610337/

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Wonder if their negativity revolves around the fact the new movies will no longer be 20th Century Fox movies since Disney bought Lucasfilms?!
Well, one of them did specify that he didn't care about these movies because Fox had nothing to do with them. So, yeah.

5621 - 5640 of 37446 Posts