AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what your feedback is on the different types of hot swap enclosures. I need at least 8 for a server raid setup. and have seen the following:

1. Cremax (single Drive)

2. Supermicro CSE-M35T-1 (5 drive)

3. Athena (4 drive)

I have heard that the Supermicro run very hoy, with 5 drives nestled side by side, and that the Cremax may be VERY loud, with individual 40mm drives in back of each (I can not imagine 8 40mm drives!). I ordered a Cremax to see what it looks like, but appreciate any input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Supermicro enclosure and I can say that my Seagate 250GB drives stay damn near cold. The only thing I do not like is there is no way to make the fault LEDs' work. I believe this is an issue with most if not all SATA enclosures.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
The fan is not terribly loud, but it's not really acceptable in a HTPC enclosure. The status lites include drive activity, fan activity as well as overtemp alarm. There is a buzzer that goes off at a programmable temp too. It's a nice unit.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have 2 of the Athena 3X2 units. (3 HD, 2-5.25 bays). They are reasonably quiet and have good air flow keeping the drives pretty cool. I looked at the 4 disk but was a little concerned the fan kind of left one drive out in the warn if you will.

All in all I am very happy with these.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.