AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have 4 60GB hard drives, all in InClose removable trays, the idea of being able to hot-swap them comes to mind. The InClose trays do physically allow it. They power down the drive before removal or insertion, protecting the circuitry. However, when I hot swap, the directory info does not get updated.

I have the media set as removable, but cannot get windows 98SE to work with them. ANy ideas??

Bob

·
Registered
848 Posts
1. I have the same desire as bpearse, but for Windows Me.

It would really be nice for us owners of HD recorder cards (aka, disk hogs) to be able to (1) power down the drive with the keylock switch in the removable drive tray, (2) swap drives, (3) power up the new drive via the keylock switch, and (4) refresh the view in Windows Explorerso it finds the files on the new drive.

I don't understand why this is possible for a JAZ or ZIP drive (don't they make an IDE version?), but not for a drive that Microsoft lists in the Device Manager as Removable. (OK, I do understand: it's MS's crummy software-as-usual, but I don't think it *must* be that way.)

2. But even with having to reboot between drive swaps, it's much more convenient than opening the case and swapping power and ATA cables. Every HD recorder card owner who chooses multiple HDDs as his/her archive media should try it. You'll like it.

I got my removable drive trays for $7.50 at Computer Geeks ( www.compgeeks.com ). They have a single fan which is fine for 5400 rpm drives. I just ordered a couple more. They come with both the drive carrier and the 5.25 inch receptacle enclosure. I have a growing stockpile of unused receptacle enclosures, but at this price, who cares?

3. Bal:

Which spec sheets? I've tried Microsoft's help, and can't find anything about removable drives.

4. Can anyone report on using a Firewire-to-IDE box? Does putting it out on a 1394 bus make it as removable as Bal says SCSI drives can be? (Not cheap, but if it gains true hot-swap, I might consider it.)

-yogaman

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, after searching the MS site (terrible site!!) and found out that Win2K DOES support hot swapping IDE drives. However, Win98 apparently does not. Not sure why, since ZIP and others are IDE and can be swapped.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.