AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, it's been a while since i posted and a few components have changed.

Main Theater

*Mitsubishi HC1100 (older 1280x720p projector, still looks great)

*Main speakers are Levon audio which are hand made in New Zealand

*Center is Mordaunt Short Mezzo 5

*Rears are 4x Steinman sms 6 surrounds (bipole)

*AVR is Sony STR-DA5300ES

*Sony Blu Ray

*Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player

*Some kind of subwoofer from the bargain bin.

I built this theater over a few years as i was working in and out of the industry, i dont have matching front soundstage because Levon Audio at the time didn't make centre speakers. The subwoofer is kind of unnecessary as the speakers themselves have 2x10" drivers on them. Nothing really fancy just a place where i can go to enjoy a movie with friends and family occasionally.

View from the seats with the lights off and the lightsabers on.

Clear view of the lightsabers and one of the speakers.

View of the back of the room with the projector, and three pictures one of my mates painted for me.

View of the media Cabinets which i painted over the glass in to stop reflection.

I've also recently put together a family room setup aswell for gaming and 3D media.

*TVSamsung PS58C7000 3D PDP Display

*PS3 with wireless bluetooth keyboard

*Xbox-360

*Marantz SR7500 (Awesome amp in it's day)

*Jamo E550 speakers

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the kind words, yeh i got lucky with the 3dtv for gaming.. my wife allowed me to jump the gun on it, as we were going to get it a bit later next year. But having played a bit of COD black ops in 3d on it... i'm hooked on 3d gaming it's awesome.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Change that bargain bin subwoofer and it will make it come alive.

My HSU unit was knockin' this spider off the wall. He couldn't for the life of himself hang on to that thing. I felt bad for the guy after a while.

·
Registered
171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchip /forum/post/19623922

Thank you for the kind words, yeh i got lucky with the 3dtv for gaming.. my wife allowed me to jump the gun on it, as we were going to get it a bit later next year. But having played a bit of COD black ops in 3d on it... i'm hooked on 3d gaming it's awesome.

my wife and I were talking about one when we got the plasma for our basement in July and figured we'd wait it out a little while longer. If football was in 3D i'd have one and if I'd have know there were gonna be 3d games for the ps3 I'd have prolly sacrificed some size for a 3d. Good to know it will be worth the wait when we do get one. Have fun gamin it up!!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys yeh the 3d is actually effective.. i thought it was just a bit gimmicky but when i saw it for myself i was sold. As far as the sub goes, i probably wont be changing it for a while as it's not a priority with the system although the advice is welcome and i thank you for it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Very, very impressive setup with lots of personalization. The light sabers are too cool.

What size screen is that in the theatre room ?

Need more closeup pics of the family room setup as well. This is my favorite thread on the entire AVS board and I can't get enough pics.....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey zbrd, I'm glad you like the light sabers, i grabbed what i could before they stopped making them

The screen in the theater room is 110"

And as requested more pics. (I have a good camera but i'm useless with it, so the quality is a little lacking)

Little messy i know, but it's the family room so most of the stuff gets put back into the cabinet in a hurry.

The seating for the family room, used to be in the theater room before we replaced it with the leather ones.

Also a clearer shot of the screen in the theater room. I was messing around with the camera settings.. ill get there with the camera one day.

Thanks for viewing.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I love your speakers. They're gorgeous. I bet they sound fantastic too. I love the lightsabers and other sci-fi accents. Very inviting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers, yes the speakers are the thing i love most about the theater room. Oft times i head into the theater and put on some old records of Skye i have lying about, with the lights off and enjoy the sound they produce. Thanks again for looking.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Changed a few things in the room over the last few weeks.

Took down the Jack Skellington picture from besides the screen as it was giving too much reflection. Also i put up some acoustic panels.

Same for the acoustic panel on the other side, i just need to get some more of these now. I also moved the subwoofer from the front (as it was the only black speaker in a sea of wood ones) to the back behind the chairs.

New cleaner looking front

View of the back with the side surrounds, i know they are not ideally placed as they are ahead of the viewing area a little, but with planes and other things flying overhead you really dont notice it as it all ends up at the back behind the listener anyways.

Future updates, i am hoping to get a power amplifier for the front 2 speakers, a local shop near me sells Sherbourne which seems the go at 160 watts x2 for a good price.

Anyways thanks for looking.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Well with your surrounds being bipole I don't really think it makes much difference that they're a little ahead of you. Combined with the surround backs your backstage is probably pretty diffuse, which is the design.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Been 5 years since anything has happened so I had some feature lighting installed, got a Benq W1300 3d Projector and a PS4.. at last heh. Not the most exciting but for an ageing system it was still most of the best equipment I will most likely ever have (depressing reality as being a father means no more money for any major upgrades until I upgrade the job heh).

So here's some of the pics.

And one with some PS4 imagery on screen for Farcry 4. Being a 1080p projector does make it so much clearer than my previous 720p.. probably the best upgrade over the last few years.

Thanks for reading, see you all in 5 years :)

UPDATE: Currently adding sliding doors and building a riser for the back row.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.