AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After settling into our new (to us) house, it looks like daddy got mommy's ok to convert a basement room into a Home Theater -ish space.

To name it Hoth comes from my admiration of the original 3 episodes (empire strike back being my favorite), the temperature in that room that sits around freezing and finally due to the size of that room, I'm sure some members here have freezers larger than this room.

Because the closing is just behind us and the birth of our 3rd (and last) is in the near future I have to work within a budget, knowing fairly well by reading through these holy pages, that it is easy to sink a lot of money in it.

I will try to keep my budget for equipment and material somewhere in the $30-$40 per sqft, mostly by using what I already got and buying new material at the lower end of the scale.

Room Dimensions

14' long

10.5' wide

7' 6' height (to the current wood panel ceiling)

I was briefly thinking to break down the left wall, sacrifice my office and a small storage space and make the theater about 22' long and up to 14' wide… till I saw that that wall covers a brace I would need to move and that in my office space there are HVAC ducts that reduce the height to

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Made a few adjustments to the part list as I was able to find a deal on the Onkyo and took it (and after realizing that the Denon did not include wifi and bt).

Also, based on a quick listen I will likely go with Klipsch RF/RC/RS instead of Polk.

The Easter Bunny was extremely fast and brought me this:

Had to unpack it right away:

I started taking down the ceiling paneling and was able to mount the projector to one of the studs for now

And while throwing some movies on the wall I thought I would map out how the 16:9 vs the 2:35 look:

·
Registered
128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolkerH.  /t/1526925/hoth-cold-small-but-mine#post_24597140

Seating - to be decided, likely only will have space for a 2 seater somewhere around 10feet from the screen, possibly on a raiser, with bean bags in front for the kids, and a bar table and 2 chairs for the back. As you can see there is also a Racing Seat set up for the PS3, I don't think it should take permanent residence in the place but I guess it will only occasionally be moved out...

Screen ratio: I used the projector mostly for business so far and only had the Laptop connected, so I was surprised how the HDMI hook up of the U-Verse box worked out… some channels gave me 16:9 others 2.35:1

When I connected my PS3 and played Star Trek Into Darkness I measured a 2.40:1 ratio

So what screen ratio should I go with ?

Volker

As my room dimensions are very close to yours I've been dealing with the exact same issue (albeit on paper). Reading up a lot on the 2.35:1 vs 16:9 posts here I decided for myself to go for the scope screen for the following reasons:

- Having a small room as I (we) do, we're pretty much limited in depth for seating placement. The uttermost important factor for seating placement being screen height, the only logical decision is to go with a CIH screen.

- Games will look as they should without being too big whilst blockbuster movies will have the immersive effect they should

- Easier center speaker placement (if you don't plan on doing an AT screen)

- It's just freaking cool

As you have the luxury of already having most of the equipment I'd measure the heigth of your projected image, both 16:9 and 2.35:1, multiply it by 2.4 - 2.8 (somewhere in between) and place your seat over there. Then from those 2 positions, watch both 16:9 and scope content and I'm sure you'll figure out what's most to your liking.

I can also strongly suggest reading the CIH threads here as they are a golden source of information on the subject.

As far as your equipment goes, I was looking for the exact same AV receiver and also klipsch speakers. Lemme know how they work out for you!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q8472  /t/1526925/hoth-cold-small-but-mine#post_24628033

As you have the luxury of already having most of the equipment I'd measure the heigth of your projected image, both 16:9 and 2.35:1, multiply it by 2.4 - 2.8 (somewhere in between) and place your seat over there. Then from those 2 positions, watch both 16:9 and scope content and I'm sure you'll figure out what's most to your liking.

I can also strongly suggest reading the CIH threads here as they are a golden source of information on the subject.

As far as your equipment goes, I was looking for the exact same AV receiver and also klipsch speakers. Lemme know how they work out for you!

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to see that I'm not the only one trying his hands on a small room

Yes, I gave it a try by marking the 16:9 and 2.35:1 and I will likely go with 16:9 and maybe mask down to 2.35 if it should bother me to much. The 16:9 comes currently to 122" and the 2.35:1 to 116" and that is the max size I will go with. Like I read on the board, it seems to large at first but it guess I will adjust and then be sad I went smaller.

Also, I likely gonna paint the wall

Instead of buying a screen (saving ~$250) and also will forgo the Klipsch. Currently looking into Andrew Jones Pioneer, gonna listen to them tomorrow hopefully. If they work for me I will try them out and maybe look into a Dayton 12" or 15". For an equipment rack I wanna go with a cabinet I already have (seen in the pictures with the projector on top) to put everything in. PS3, XBOX 360, Wii,u-verse box, old TiVo, AVR and charging station for the remotes and game controllers.

I started with the DVD shelves in the corner and will post pictures when I have a few more on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q8472  /t/1526925/hoth-cold-small-but-mine#post_24629429

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1395693/onkyo-ht-s9400-thx-7-1-channel-htib

Hoe about this for budget?

Thanks, but I pulled the trigger on the Pioneer. 2 FS52, 2 BS22 and 1 CS22, listened to at Best Buy and bought right there.

Not yet unpacked, which is fine as I just ordered the speaker wire and plugs which should arrive tomorrow.

Besides that I started the shelving for the DVDs, pics when finished.

Oh and I bought the paint for the screen, Behr Ultra 1750 in Flat.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update, the DVD storage is in:

And I located my DVD moving boxes. As I'm not sure about the colors for the side walls yet (was thinking about dark blue but am not sure anymore
) I guess I will put the disks in for now and pull them out for painting.

And here it goes:

Need 1 more shelf, that gives me 2 rows. Plus my wife and I agree to sort through and get rid of a a few ( DVD we have as Blu ray as well, movies we don't like, etc.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Things are progressing, even a little bit out of order.

I got the ceiling taken out (Armstrong panels) and the hardware removed

Went browsing at Home Depot for Roxul and R19 and started reading up on sound proofing.

I think I will build the soffit first and then decide how far I will go with green glue and double drywall etc.

What wasn't planned was to move our old living room sectional into the theater room. But our new furniture got delivered today and if had to remove the old one... It was either the garage or the HT... Don't want to throw it out yet and think it is useable for now.

Btw. The damage visible on the left part... That's what happens when bonded leather gets exposed to liquid over prolonged time without correct care... I guess it was a combination of nights spent on the sofa (wife's only way to get some sleep through the last 2 pregnancies) and the kids spilling stuff. For now I will throw a blanket over it... If it remains longer in the room I might try to put a brown (fake) leather patch over it and call it a day.

Speaking of day, today was my sons first day at daycare:

Oh, and I ordered a Dayton 1500 which should arrive tomorrow. Still need to unpack the Pioneers and test them at least a little before the 15 day return period at Best Buy is over.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if I can even post on this thread any longer or if it got archived. Only can see it via my subscriptions.
Anyways, might actually be better to start a new one as I totally changed the plan and demolished the room.
On the equipment side I got a great deal on a carpet for the room and an amazing deal on 6 chairs from HTMarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,393 Posts

Btw. The damage visible on the left part... That's what happens when bonded leather gets exposed to liquid over prolonged time without correct care... I guess it was a combination of nights spent on the sofa (wife's only way to get some sleep through the last 2 pregnancies) and the kids spilling stuff. For now I will throw a blanket over it... If it remains longer in the room I might try to put a brown (fake) leather patch over it and call it a day.
Just buff in some brown Kiwi shoe polish.
http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Brown-Shoe-Polish-1-1/dp/B000MLDC3O
or
http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Shoe-Scuff-Cover-Brown/dp/B000HZA17U

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
483 Posts
Carpet? Chairs? What about the wampas and ion cannons? Hoth is no fun w/o THEM! :D pew pew pew

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First you hang your projector, then you put the couch in...AND THEN you demo.

This is all kinds of backwards, ha! Looking forward to seeing the progress, all the best!

LOL yeah not the regular way. But I tell you I'm kinda happy how it will (hopefully) turn out.
If I think I would have finished everything up like I had it I would be very upset.
So I got the chance to e.g. have my wife's approval. She was doing away my HT idea TILL it gave her a place to chill out :)
I ripped out the walls and started reframing.
Here after I ripped the drywall down and started to take the framing out

Here the reframed part up to the pillar.

I moved my "office" to the former storage corner.

The former office will become a bar area with a bar table and 2 chairs, flat screen on the wall mirroring the theater, small fridge and likely my slot car collection and racing pictures on the wall

I picked up a leftover 12'x17.5' piece of carpet which should be enough to do even the planned risers.

And I'm very excited to have gotten a deal on HT Design Somerset chairs which should be coming soon as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And of course, just when you think you got it all figured out you find something else.
Gonna look into an AT screen and but my LCR behind it. That will give me
a better way to get them on ear level and I'm more flexible to go almost wall
to wall with the screen.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I got them currently sitting on cinder blocks and planned to have a small stage. But by putting LCR into the wall I would not only clean up the floor (beside the 15" sub) but also take away the risk of the kids toppling the speakers over.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts