AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And based on this report, it has not been cheap for Warner Brothers.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/comic-con/comic-con-2012-blasts-past-27803
Quote:
As much of a challenge that Singin’ in the Rain was, however, Feltenstein said the upcoming 3D Blu-ray release of House of Wax is even more problematic.

“The original negative of House of Wax was damaged in the lab and the emulsion was stripped off the original,” he said. “We have to go back into separation and scan them. It’s like doing six movies. All that is being scanned at 4K. My colleagues are writing a very big check, and you all are going to have House of Wax in 3D and it's going to look like a Viewmaster.”

Feltenstein had teased the House of Wax release at this panel last year, though the first of Warner’s classic 3D films to make it to Blu-ray will be Dial M for Murder Oct. 9.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct- we are talking about the 1953 version, originally shot in 3-D.

It is worth noting the "restored" version Cakefoo linked to is a fan restored version made from different consumer video releases, and has some minor alignment issues. It is not the upcoming studio restoration.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Does anyone know what the aspect ratio was on the 1953 House of Wax? I'm curious to see if it will be widescreen or have pillarboxes.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete  /t/1420558/house-of-wax-green-lit-for-3-d-bluray#post_23771829

Ultra-detailed article on House of Wax, including a review of the new Blu-ray, is now posted here:

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/House-of-Wax

Wow, thanks for the great link! Really looking forward to seeing this AGAIN next week. First saw it in the theater 60 years ago!
Yeah, I'm OLD!!!

Ed

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Saw the 3D BluRay last night with my brother. Really entertaining film with very good 3D. Depth is amazing on this one, though pop out of the screen is largely limited to the paddleball sequence and a couple of other minor instances. Still, the 3D really enhances the story and helps to suck you in to the world. The extras are also really nice, especially a very entertaining piece on the making of the film that also touches on the careers of several of the participants and goes a bit into how the 3D photography was created (the RealVision rig must have been a monster to set up and use and really makes me respect what filmmakers of that era were able to accomplish).

House of Wax 3D should definitely be in any 3D fan's collection.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP  /t/1420558/house-of-wax-green-lit-for-3-d-bluray#post_23805643

Saw the 3D BluRay last night with my brother. Really entertaining film with very good 3D. Depth is amazing on this one, though pop out of the screen is largely limited to the paddleball sequence and a couple of other minor instances. Still, the 3D really enhances the story and helps to suck you in to the world. The extras are also really nice, especially a very entertaining piece on the making of the film that also touches on the careers of several of the participants and goes a bit into how the 3D photography was created (the RealVision rig must have been a monster to set up and use and really makes me respect what filmmakers of that era were able to accomplish).

House of Wax 3D should definitely be in any 3D fan's collection.

It's in mine. I'm going to wait to watch this for a couple of weeks (hard to do) cause I need to build a riser for a second row of home theater seats. I want to watch this on a Saturday afternoon also as that is my favorite time for movie watching. I'm going to invite a couple from church to watch this movie with me and the wife.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Saw this last night on bluray 3D. Has some image alignment issues, but still holds up. The interocular distance was set wide making people look miniature with well-rounded heads and bodies. Reminded me a lot of Realist 3D slide images. Watching the extras is definitely worth it. Amazing that the director had only one good eye. They made him take his eye patch off for publicity shots so people would think he was an expert at 3D stereo. This film ignited a short-lived 3D craze in 1952, which lasted a couple of years then died due theaters not having the proper equipment nor taking the time to sync the two projectors required. This is a must see for 3D buffs. There is one scene where one of the actors runs from under the camera out into the scene. I have a 159" screen, so it looked like someone from inside my room jumped up from where I was sitting and ran into the screen--jolted my senses for a moment and made my heart jump a few beats.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts