AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recent changes to upstairs..... "Ghetto Theater" 10/27/2010

We weren't using the previous setup with a pool table so this was the next logical step
I had no budget so most of this stuff I just had lying around, the only thing that was purchased new was the receiver. We are pretty happy with the outcome with the space and cash limitations

Theater Room Setup:

Dell M210X Projector/86" ELITE Fixed mount screen

Yamaha RV-V567 Receiver

TWC Cisco 4600HD

Dell 755 with ATI 4350 HDMI out

Wii

PS3

Logitech Harmony One

Speakers:

Klipsch Synergy SLX Center

JBL 135a Sat/Sub Combo

Walking Upstairs

Posters Coming up the Stairs

Screen Setup

Seating Area

Toys and Gear Location

Lights out, action

............................................................ ............................................................ ............................................................ ............................................................ ......

Hi Everyone,

I've been visiting the site for along time, first time post.....and wanted to share some of the knowledge I've learned from many of the great posts on this site, Visually

I lived in a 1 and a half room garage apartment before moving into my house 2 years ago and was determined to create a fun TV/Media Oriented house........on a budget of course

future project.....the game room will be converted to a theater room where I think I'm planning a 65inch LCD, that's about a year away as I just got engaged

Oh, not pictured is a 19inch in the garage were I have a small workout area, it has a all in one sony soundsystem with cable going to a VCR
I think that covers all the TV's in the house

Also, just bought these for downstairs and the forthcoming upgrades upstairs

from Havertys

Please enjoy and let me know your thoughts:

My Living Room Setup:

Sony Bravia Z-Series KDL-46Z4100/B

Sony PS3 60GB Version

Sony DVP-NC875V/B 5-Disc DVD/CD/SACD Changer

TWC Samsung HD DVR

Nintendo Wii

Yamaha HTR-5960BL Reciever

Logitech Harmony 890 Remote

Speakers:

Left/Center/Right: Pinnacle QP9

Front Presence: 2xJBL SP5II

Rear Surround: 2xJBL SP6II

Sub: JBL SCS125A ( bought on college budget in 98, but still going strong
)

HTPC:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Intel Q6600 CPU

4GB OCZ 6400 Ram

Asus P5N7A-VM Motherboard

NMediaPC 5000 series HTPC Case

Vantec Fanless 400watt PSU

1x 80GB WD SATA OS Drive

3x 1.5TB Samsung SATA Green Drives in RAID 5 Configuration

These days, instead of the physical media, I'm getting into the streaming around the house so I'm sure the storage space will keep growing and growing with that one

Master Bedroom:

Toshiba REGZA 32HL66

TWC SA 8600HD DVR

Linksys 2200 Media Center Extender

Logitech Harmony 880

Guest bedroom:

Toshiba REGZA 32HL67

Logitch Harmony 659

Office:

Bunch of LCD Monitors and Computers

and DVD/Blu-Rays

Logitech Harmony 676

TWC SA 8300HDC

Home Network:

Cat. 6 ethernet runs (2xLiving Room, 5xOffice, 1xAP Location, 1xMaster bedroom)

D-Link DGL-4100 Router

Cisco AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 Access Point

Cisco 2960G-8TC-L Layer 2 Switch

(Switch and Wifi configured with vlan/access list to separate private/guest access)

Living Room Full View

Living Room After Speaker Upgrade

Living Room Cable Cleanup

Living Room Previous Setup v2.0

Inside HTPC

Original Setup v1.0

Office Setup

Office DVD Collection

Master Bedroom Setup

Guest Room Setup

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Nice! You have a fully loaded house of electronics. You should be proud. I like your HTPC, would you care to take more pics? I can't get enough of peoples htpcs now that I am into them with my own. Thanks again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, yeah I've turned into a electronic nerd over the years

Few more of the HTPC, I primarily use Media Browser for viewing, the only codec packs I have installed are FFD Show and x64 MKV splitter. I have a 1GB Flash drive connected in back USB where all the image cache is located. Makes for a faster load time.

At this time, I don't have a need for overclocking. System runs stable and fast, resolution is a 1080p through HDMI. The Storage Array is shared in the house, so I can access it from all the other LCD's as I have a PC connected to almost all of them. I also have a Patriot BoxOffice Portable Player that I use when I travel with a 320GB drive in it:

Front Panel Open

Inside Case, updated with new GPU Fan

Termaltake Sound Damping

Back of the HTPC

Sensors for the remote and keyboard, hidden in the LCD window

Logitech PS3 keyboard, $25 bucks. Simple and reliable!

Desktop

Media Browser Movies

Media Browser TV

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Awesome, thanks man!

Care to expand on the thumb drive thing? I'm not quite sure what you mean. Thanks again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eSunwear, the plate in question is a decorex modular plate I bought at a local cabling store. the company that manufactures them is called ICC.

Here is the section for the configurable plates. I purchased the 3 hole face plate and the 3x 3port inserts with the keystone jacks you can get anywhere. gave me a lot of flexablility on the configuration and future additions

http://www.icc.com/configurable-face...22_46_139.html

Faceplate Close Up

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pcweber111, yeah wanted to add the link yesterday but didn't have enough posts yet for urls

now that I'm not a spammer
here's the article related to the setup.

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/08/speed...ash-drive.html

I just had the 1B flash drive laying around and thought I'd try it out. I don't have a lot on my storage array so my image cache was only 200mb. with some of the media browser files getting in the 32k count I can see how this can cut into seek time on a HDD.

That site has a lot of useful tips on media browser setup

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I'm also a Network Engineer, can't have the colleagues over for the game or movies and get razed on my home network. Just wouldn't be right
Eventually, I plan to eventually upgrade to a Cisco 3750G/ASA5505 Setup with hopes of more back plane throughput. The 2960 maxes out at 11mpps, the model 3750 will get me up to 40mpps. And of course help with playing around for CCNP/CCIE training in the house
lol

·
Registered
469 Posts
I breezed over the network part. Nice job. Hope you get the switch/firewall upgrade for the next level cert.

I'm studying for my CCVP right now. How I wish I could run a Call Manager in my house.
The wife would kill me, though, especially if something went down when I wasn't around. because, you know that is always when it happens. last time I was on travel, my wireless AP crapped out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ouch, yeah that's no fun! I was traveling a few months ago and the power dropped in the house and the fiance didn't know how to manually release the garage door......needless to say, that was the ONLY electronic in the house without a UPS, lol......not anymore

Yeah, we just ripped out Cisco Call Manger for an Avaya System.....blah......is all I'm gonna say!

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaximus /forum/post/18320111

eSunwear, the plate in question is a decorex modular plate I bought at a local cabling store. the company that manufactures them is called ICC.

Here is the section for the configurable plates. I purchased the 3 hole face plate and the 3x 3port inserts with the keystone jacks you can get anywhere. gave me a lot of flexablility on the configuration and future additions

http://www.icc.com/configurable-face...22_46_139.html

Faceplate Close Up

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL, yeah 2 server racks per data center x3 for the main call drivers and various gateways scattered around hogging up all my precious rack space, I even had to sacrifice cable management for those beasts!

But, the drive for it got me a whole new network infrastructure......so I can't say to many bad things I suppose

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the link. Lots of interesting info there, I'm gonna have to look into modifying my setup to accomodate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Is that a pic of Willy B Stadium? I like the room other than that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts