AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a home that has cat5 RJ45 ports in every room but I am having trouble connecting it all up. I have attached some photos of my structured wiring panel. It seems that they are connected through a telephone expansion but all the ports around the house are cat5 Ethernet size and not old school phone jack size. Also in the structured wiring panel I found a cat5 cable (labeled game room) with a plug already attached so I connected it into my router and went and checked the game room cat5 port and I was getting hard wired internet in that room. So then I went around and pulled off some of the cat5 panels in the other rooms and they seem to be all wired the same as the game room (and all the jacks in every room looked identical) but I am very new to this so I could be wrong. Any help is appreciated and please forgive me if I am completely off, I'm new at this.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It looks like telephone panels were installed rather than data hubs. Having trouble looking at their pics. Post their model numbers.

The only way I see to get Ethernet to where you want it to go to for now is going to put RJ-45 conns. on the wires at your panel to the rooms that you really need Ethernet and connect them to your router in which you have 3 more outputs

The right way to do this is to install a data panel in your enclosure. If you do this I would somehow support the cables so they don't just hang there. I also don't like the unprofessional way the cables were terminated at your wall plates.

At least it looks like they labeled the cables. So like I said, if you want to get things going for now, choose 3 locations in your home where you really need Ethernet and put on RJ-45 conns. on those cables and connect them to your router.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I also don't like the unprofessional way the cables were terminated at your wall plates.
That's the way they should look given the technology used. They're pinch connections. It appears that the finishing cap is simply missing.

It's a telephone service for 4 lines. Just take out the master hubs, replace with switches/routers and re-use the lines for your network.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The jacket of the cable should be close to the back of the keystone. Proper twist must be maintained. The ends of the cable at the keystone also should of been snipped off. That's what I meant when I stated the job was done unprofessionally.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The ends of the cable at the keystone also should of been snipped off.
They are snipped off. Again, the finish cap is missing so the ends only APPEAR to be longer than they should. The finishing cap pushes the wires into place and holds them for trimming. Once the finishing cap is on you then snip the wires. They become flush with the sides of the finishing cap. Of course with the cap off they appear to be not trimmed. This is normal.

I will agree however the leads should have been shorter so the shield sleeve fits right into the main groove of the plug.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts