AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing a little with both HouseBot and NetRemote in an attempt to use my iPaq as a total control solution for my HTPC as well as HA. I am favorably impressed with both programs but neither seem to offer all of the features that I am looking for. Here are my observations;

1) Housebot is a great tool and due to it's client server approach is very easy to deploy to multiple clients. In order fully use it for control over an entire AV/HT system you'll need to purchase an Ocelot at about $150.

2) Housebot excels at HA tasks given it's tight integration with the Ocelot and plug-in architecture.

3) Netremote appears to be more geared to AV control since it can leverage existing CCF files for the pronto series of remote controls. It also provides support for a wide variety of IR transceivers making AV integration simple.

4) NetRemote provides very slick integration in MediaJukebox (now MediaCenter) which is my chosen MP3 / DivX solution using MJ's webremote.

In other words Housebot is very HA centric and netremote is very AC centric. If Netremote had X10 support or Housebot provided MediaJukebox control my decision would be simple.

Am I the only one with such a dilemna?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
FWIW, Netremote can control X10 equipment via Girder and the corresponding plugin(s).

I'm not sure what you would be missing going this route...

·
Registered
164 Posts
And you should be able to control MediaJukebox through the "Girder Bridge" Device in HouseBot. I've never done this, but I don't see why you couldn't.

Now your back to the beginning :D

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scottleonard
And you should be able to control MediaJukebox through the "Girder Bridge" Device in HouseBot. I've never done this, but I don't see why you couldn't.
But you won't get feedback, will you? :D Besides just controlling play, stop and so on is nothing compared to the NetRemote way, where you can work in the media library of Media Center (the artist formerly known as Media Jukebox). And yes, control of X-10 equipment is no problem, I do it with HomeSeer and the CM11A module, via NetRemote and Girder. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.