AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In preparation for the HD TiVo coming soon (ok, 6 months - never too early to get planning!), I want to get some issues resolved I'm seeing with the guide data on the Houston OTA digital stations. I don't know if the issues are with the stations, DirecTV, or my receiver (Samsung SIR-T160), so I wanted to see if others in Houston are seeing the same, or different, results in an effort to figure out who needs a talkin' to...

Here's the channels I'm getting (I didn't survey the spanish-language DTV stations, but I can if there's interest), and the guide data as reported by my Samsung SIR-T160. The stations numbers I'm showing are the alias numbers provided, not the UHF channel.

2-1 KPRC-DT NBC HD Full Guide

2-2 KPRC-SD (No picture) No Guide ("Regular Programming")

2-3 KPRC-WX Weather Radar No Guide ("Regular Programming")

8-1 KUHTDT PBS HD Full Guide (although just "PBS Digital")

8-2 KUHT-SD PBS SD No Guide ("Regular Programming")

11-1 KHOUDT CBS HD Full Guide

13-1 KTRTDT ABC HD Full Guide

20-1 KTXHDT UPN HD Full Guide

26-1 KRIVDT FOX HD No Guide ("[email protected] 1")

26-2 KRIVDT (No picture) Full Guide (for Fox shows on 26-1)

39-1 KHWBDT WB HD Full Guide

51-1 KNWS-DT Ind. HD No Guide ("Regular Programming")

There's a few problems here that I care about, and a few that I don't...

The major issue I have is on Fox 26-1/26-2, where there's no guide data showing up on the HD channel. But on their SD subchannel, where there is guide data, there's no picture... Obviously that won't work for the TiVo!

Other issues are the lack of guide data on KNWS, but I'm assuming that's just a matter of time (they just came up in the last 6 months). And I don't get a picture on KPRC-SD on 2-2. Are they really broadcasting on that subchannel?

I'd really like to hear from others in Houston on this stuff - especially experiences with other STB's.

[EDIT: I changed the subject to be more specific to Fox26]

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, bump! Can anyone confirm the same subchannel results on an STB other than the Samsung T160?

Just want to be sure I'm chasing the bug in the right direction...

Jeff

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the Samsung T151 (OTA only). I am pulling in all of these channels except 26-2 (I didn't even know this existed). As for APG, you are doing much better than I am....I hardly every get anything.

I don't have DirectTV or Tivo right now, but I was under the impression that the HDDirectTivo would get APG from satellite (not OTA).

HTH

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My box is reporting 26-2, but there's nothing there... But you're right, DirecTV is providing some of this data. What I'm trying to determine is where the data is coming from, so I can call the right 'wrong' person...

What does your box report as far as guide data for 26-1? All I get is 4-8 hour blocks labeled "KRIV 1" or something along that lines. For me, 26-2 has all the correct guide data (for 26-1), but no video...

I wonder if the data for 26-1 is coming off the air, and what I'm seeing on 26-2 is actually the data provided by DirecTV.

You said you're not getting much guide data - exactly what do you see? Is it something like "Regular Schedule" or real data, just on a few of the channels?

Jeff

·
Registered
82 Posts
During primetime at 8pm tonight:

2-1 No Title

8-1 No Title

11-1 "King of Queens"

13-1 DTV

20-1 Callsign 1-1

26-1 Callsign 1-1

39-1 Callsign 1080i

51-1 No Title

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that answers that question - most all the data is coming from DirecTV...

I guess I'll start with them then, as to why the 26-2 is showing up with the 26-1 guide data, but no picture (my guess is that it doesn't really exist). I'd like to hear from someone else with one of the HD-DirecTV boxes to see if the T160 is matching their results...

And I guess kudos are in order for KHOU for actually providing real data on their OTA DTV signal!

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.