AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been unable to receive the KTRK (ABC) HD programming for the past several days. Is anyone else having a problem? In particular, are any DISH6000 users having this problem?

Oddly, I get a strong signal strength of 80-90%, and I get the sound just fine. The problem is that the picture is non-existent (totally black screen). Is anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fredsal
I have been unable to receive the KTRK (ABC) HD programming for the past several days. Is anyone else having a problem? In particular, are any DISH6000 users having this problem?

Oddly, I get a strong signal strength of 80-90%, and I get the sound just fine. The problem is that the picture is non-existent (totally black screen). Is anyone else having this problem?
Fred,

I am pretty sure I tuned into the digital broadcast of ABC late last night while flipping channels. I was getting picture and sound from 13-1 on both my Samsung TS160 and my DTC100 STB. I'm using an attic mounted antenna from Rat Shack and am located about 2 miles from the antenna farm as the crow flies. Let me know if there is something I can do to help.

Regs,

Jeff

·
Registered
304 Posts
I can catch 13-1 OTA no problem. I do get some color shifting. I noticed that during most shows, skintones and the whole color in general shifts from green to red. It will stop for a while, and then it continues later on.

It hasn't really bothered me, because I don't really watch ABC, but I hope this isn't a problem during MNF. I don't get this problem on any other channel.

I have a TS160. Also, on ABC last night, I got some serious popping noise. It was coming through 5.1. The noise wasn't present on the SD OTA channel or the D* feed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You better sit down on this one........I live on Padre Island in Corpus Christi, well over 200 miles as the crow flies from the transmitters which are 12 miles SSW of downtown Houston. ABC is coming in through my 6000 receiver at a signal strength of 60 to 70%. NBC is the highest at 92%. CBS at 88 to 90%. I receive UPN intermittently at 55 to 60%. WB rarely at 50 to 55%. Fox is the weakest when I get it at around 50%. Sure beats having nothing in digital locally as is the case for Corpus Christi. 128th in market size with 70+ smaller markets having at least one digital station. If you want information on how this is done post a comment and I'll fill in the forum. And, yes I have been receiving ABC fine over the past few days.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kappy44
You better sit down on this one........I live on Padre Island in Corpus Christi, well over 200 miles as the crow flies from the transmitters which are 12 miles SSW of downtown Houston. ABC is coming in through my 6000 receiver at a signal strength of 60 to 70%. NBC is the highest at 92%. CBS at 88 to 90%. I receive UPN intermittently at 55 to 60%. WB rarely at 50 to 55%. Fox is the weakest when I get it at around 50%. Sure beats having nothing in digital locally as is the case for Corpus Christi. 128th in market size with 70+ smaller markets having at least one digital station. If you want information on how this is done post a comment and I'll fill in the forum. And, yes I have been receiving ABC fine over the past few days.
:eek:

That is pretty impressive. Corpus is good 4 hour drive from Houston. I'm from Lafayette, LA, which is about 200 miles, and I can tell you, I don't think there is anyway in HELL you could catch Houston locals OTA.

I only use a set rabbit ears and a circular UHF antenna at my apartment, and if I tune each channel, I can catch each at 100%, except for PBS. Of course I live about 25-30 miles NW of downtown.

Even with my reception steady at 100%, I still get the color shifting at the popping noise one time. I think it was a problem with the broadcast.

Has anybody noticed these things on ABC.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is accomplished with a 100" UHF yagi aimed at 35 degrees to Houston and a Channel Master HDTV "special" distribution amp (UHF) with 22 db gain, no preamp, into a high end Channel Master diplexer into another diplexer at the TV side into the 6000. Interestingly enough the yagi is combined with a smaller uhf/vhf yagi aimed at the Corpus transmitters and surprisingly some gain was realized in this process. One of the keys here is that the signal received travels fairly unobstructed to Padre Island over water and coastal shoreline. However, there are some ranchers I know of in George West County much further inland using similar setups receiving acceptable signal from both San Antonio and Houston.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I solved my problem. I'll document the situation for posterity.

First: the cause. The problem started when I did an ADD DIGITAL for channel 32 (ABC). I did this because it appeared that ABC (KTRK) was now broadcasting the channel mapping to channel 13, so that it could be tuned in as 013-01 instead of 032-01.

After doing this, I was unable to tune into ABC as I described in my first post.

Solving the problem: Under the "Add Local Channels" menu of the DISH6000 it showed two entries, both 013-01 and 032-01. Odd. So I deleted both of them, then repeated "Add Digital" for channel 32. Still had a problem. Finally, I deleted channels 013-01, 032-01, and 013-00. Then I added back 032 (digital) and 013-0 (analog) and voila: everything worked.

Odd problem. It appears to be a bug in the DISH 6000.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
fredsal..... Interesting, think it's still a PSIP data stream issue of some sort, I do get some drop outs on all the stations here, from time to time, no telling what or why. But I don't seem to have this map issue (of no receive), like you discribe, but a friend out of state has also (Sony / Sammy receivers), like yours.

Not sure if Dish, DirecTV, or STB-OTA receivers have anything to do with it, as the OTA receiver parts must be very much alike to work? ABC's color seems strange here also, noteable at lunch, when CBS has a HD soap on vs. a ABC SD soap. Looks (ABC) really washed out, is my best guess, night time prim HD shows look mostly OK.

I feel this all will be worked out, and, it's very much a hobby for us (and them, me thinks) right now ;-)

Take care, seem's like there is a lot on the HDTV today to enjoy........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone have any info on reception of HD Houston towards the North?

I'm in Huntsville with Dtv and Im desperate for more HD programing.

I was under the impression that HD transmissions were shorter range than regular so I havent even tried to see if I could get them. Thanks in Advance...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kappy44
Tropo Enhancement has been extreme lately. Guess it's related to that front causing all of the storms across the south.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quite the contrary.....the last couple of weeks are negatively affected by atmospherics...least reception occurs only when there is significant moisture content in the atmosphere, ie fog, rain, etc. between here and Houston as has been the case. To dispel questions.....I receive adequate signal 60 to 70% of the time over a period of time extending beyond 30 days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.