AVS Forum banner

6301 - 6320 of 6356 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
99% of the time, 2.1 is perfect ... mainly noticeable on full screen graphics seen usually on sports games when transitioning between one camera view and another, like after they show an instant replay. It just started recently, I would have definitely noticed it before.

Here is your 39.2 screenshot ... It is taken directly from the HD Homerun viewer with a really strong signal:
Thank you Bob! It looks like you have the same thing with your HD Homerun that I have with my Tivo. I am receiving a strong antenna signal too. In addition to those steady white lines at the top there is some additional constant flickering, which to me really makes the whole picture unwatchable. I wonder if it looks this way to local cable subscribers as well?

This is a fairly popular channel with its classic sitcom lineup, if this is happening for the whole Houston area then it's surprising not enough people have noticed or complained to try to have it fixed. I wasn't sure if I didn't have something set up right, or if the problem was caused by the Tivo, but it seems it's a problem with the local broadcaster? Considering just about every other station is coming through fine! (Except Light TV on 26.2 which looks similar but not nearly as bad.)

Bob I think what I've mostly seen is pixelation in general on a lot of stations but not too much recent macroblocking that I can remember. As I said I don't watch 2.1 as much but I'll be on lookout.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you Bob! It looks like you have the same thing with your HD Homerun that I have with my Tivo. I am receiving a strong antenna signal too. In addition to those steady white lines at the top there is some additional constant flickering, which to me really makes the whole picture unwatchable. I wonder if it looks this way to local cable subscribers as well?

This is a fairly popular channel with its classic sitcom lineup, if this is happening for the whole Houston area then it's surprising not enough people have noticed or complained to try to have it fixed. I wasn't sure if I didn't have something set up right, or if the problem was caused by the Tivo, but it seems it's a problem with the local broadcaster? Considering just about every other station is coming through fine! (Except Light TV on 26.2 which looks similar but not nearly as bad.)

Bob I think what I've mostly seen is pixelation in general on a lot of stations but not too much recent macroblocking that I can remember. As I said I don't watch 2.1 as much but I'll be on lookout.
This is what I am seeing on 39.2. I am about 5-6 miles N/NW of the transmitter farm with an attic antenna.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Figured it out ...

I'm posting my results here just in case someone in the future runs into the same exact problem.

The macroblocking I was seeing on KPRC 2.1 OTA only occurred when it was being played back on an nVidia GPU. When I viewed the exact same recording, from the same .WTV file, on an AMD GPU, the macroblocking was gone.

I reverted to old drivers, tried other nVidia cards, fresh copy of Windows 7 (as I use Media Center), etc, etc ... always the same results with OTA 2.1. This only started happening a couple of months ago, so I suspect KPRC changed something with their broadcast codec or compression algorithm that nVidia just doesn't like when it is stored in a .WTV file format.

So, I ditched the GTX 1060 in favor of an RX 570, and the problem is GONZO, hopefully for good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm posting my results here just in case someone in the future runs into the same exact problem.

The macroblocking I was seeing on KPRC 2.1 OTA only occurred when it was being played back on an nVidia GPU. When I viewed the exact same recording, from the same .WTV file, on an AMD GPU, the macroblocking was gone.

I reverted to old drivers, tried other nVidia cards, fresh copy of Windows 7 (as I use Media Center), etc, etc ... always the same results with OTA 2.1. This only started happening a couple of months ago, so I suspect KPRC changed something with their broadcast codec or compression algorithm that nVidia just doesn't like when it is stored in a .WTV file format.

So, I ditched the GTX 1060 in favor of an RX 570, and the problem is GONZO, hopefully for good.
The only thing that has changed recently is the addition of 2.4 (Start TV) as far as I am aware. I know someone over there and can probably find out more.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Anybody not picking up 39.1 tonight?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just saw the note about the rescan.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just did the rescan on my Roamio and it didn't find the new RF channel. Anyone know what it is? I'm trying to get Rovi to correct the update on their lineup for the Houston OTA guide. I have Googled and not found what channel they moved to. Only the instructions to rescan. Well, the rescan didn't work on the Tivo. I scanned one of myTVs and it picked up the change. Apparently Tivo requires Rovi to handle that change.:(

Thanks

·
Registered
489 Posts
I live in Montgomery. I’m looking for a recommended antenna for both uhf and vhf service at 177 degrees

I have a one story house with a very steep pitch roof but it also has tech shield so I’ll probably mount exterior.

TV Fool Link

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=90383bd93d2bd0

Any suggestions?
A buddy of mine has this antenna, and he lives in the Woodlands. He likes it. It might be overkill for the towers in Missouri City, but he has no issues at all. I live in Pearland, and when I walk outside of my house, the towers stare me in the face.

https://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_HDTV_Outdoor_TV_Antenna_p/cm-2020.htm

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Is anyone getting better reception with the latest antennas mounted in attics that have radiant barriers? I live in Clear Lake.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
OK, this has been going on for awhile and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it. Making me think its a local problem to my setup. What's the problem? Well on KTRK when they do local news everything is fine. When the weather part of the broadcast comes on the sound is out of sync with the video. As soon as weather is over and they cut back to the anchor or a field reporter everything is back in sync. I saw this same sort of thing on KHOU when they were at their temporary studios at U of H. Once they moved to their new studios everything has been perfect. I assumed they got new equipment and digital chain in their new setup. Is there something going on at KTRK with the the camera or mic for the weather person causing the sync issue? If its a local issue in my equipment I can't begin to figure out how it would affect only the weather person's portion of the broadcast. All their programming is fine too. If it helps I have a yagi in the attic feeding a Tivo in the living-room and that goes to a 4x4 matrix switch and then to a Denon AVR and then HDMI over to the TV input (not to imply its the only HDMI cable they're all HDMI cables). I haven't seen it on any other channel currently. If no one else has seen it I guess I'll just have to look somewhere else during the weather portion of the news and not at the person's mouth and drive my self crazy. ;-)

Thanks for reading my goofy story.
Mike

·
Registered
202 Posts
Windows Media Center & PBS Ch8 via antenna

I have 2 HTPC systems that can't tune Ch8. One has a HDHomeRun tuner and the other has a USB tuner.

I can watch Ch8 with HDHomeRun Config GUI.

TSReaderLite picks up Ch8 okay.

There was no change after I performed a re-scan in Windows Media Center on the HDHomeRun system. (TV Signal -> Set Up TV Signal)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Channel 8 is aware of the problem (no PSIP). No ETA on a fix.
Any update on this? I have the same issue. I have an HTPC with an Avermedia tuner and a Hauppage tuner. Neither shows signal for KUHT PBS Channel 8 when I do a rescan.

I miss my PBS.

6301 - 6320 of 6356 Posts