AVS Forum banner

6321 - 6340 of 6356 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Any update on this? I have the same issue. I have an HTPC with an Avermedia tuner and a Hauppage tuner. Neither shows signal for KUHT PBS Channel 8 when I do a rescan.

I miss my PBS.
No further info, and I doubt I'll get update emails.

The problem isn't with our tuners, it's with the recording software and the missing part of the transmission. TVs lock in since they just need the video stream and display the extra if available.

For now, watch PBS on a TV or find the shows online.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No further info, and I doubt I'll get update emails.

The problem isn't with our tuners, it's with the recording software and the missing part of the transmission. TVs lock in since they just need the video stream and display the extra if available.

For now, watch PBS on a TV or find the shows online.
Does KUHT intend to correct the problem eventually?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cat Spring, TX; Looking for advice on antenna, mounting and connections for 2-3 tvs.

We have a place about about 20 minutes NW of Sealy. As the crow flies, it is approximately 60 miles from there to the Antenna Farm near Missouri City. Here is the link to the rabbit ears maps: https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=17723

There really is no address so you can use 78933 as the zip code to find it on the map.

The antenna finders show that I'll need a medium range directional as the stations are all SE of my geographic location.

IMPORTANT: this antenna will be used to tune 2-3 TVs in a metal building/barn. I can mount it on the sheet metal covered patio near the roof line (approx. 10 ft) or if necessary, I can mount it higher up on the actual roof.

Is it worth trying to get other stations from Austin etc? I would be happy with quality and CONSISTENT reception from Houston, so I would like advice on a solution to do this once without too much regard to cost. Obviously, I don't want to spend money for no reason, but I will consider more expensive solutions if the quality and value is there. IOW, I don't want to spend money on components like amplifiers if they are just going to overdrive my signal and cause problems; but, I really don't know much about OTA or set top boxes that allow recording like TIVO.

If there are cool, RELIABLE gizmos that improve the OTA experience, I would appreciate any info on that to help me make a decision.

This signal will be used with a Vizio 75 in class TV. I assume you can hook up the coax antenna wire to an HDMI adapter input. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
202 Posts
KUHT Ch8 followup

It looks like KUHT fixed the problem.

I am able to tune in 8.1 thru 8.4. I'll report back if any recordings fail.

·
Registered
489 Posts
We have a place about about 20 minutes NW of Sealy. As the crow flies, it is approximately 60 miles from there to the Antenna Farm near Missouri City. Here is the link to the rabbit ears maps: https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=17723

There really is no address so you can use 78933 as the zip code to find it on the map.

The antenna finders show that I'll need a medium range directional as the stations are all SE of my geographic location.

IMPORTANT: this antenna will be used to tune 2-3 TVs in a metal building/barn. I can mount it on the sheet metal covered patio near the roof line (approx. 10 ft) or if necessary, I can mount it higher up on the actual roof.

Is it worth trying to get other stations from Austin etc? I would be happy with quality and CONSISTENT reception from Houston, so I would like advice on a solution to do this once without too much regard to cost. Obviously, I don't want to spend money for no reason, but I will consider more expensive solutions if the quality and value is there. IOW, I don't want to spend money on components like amplifiers if they are just going to overdrive my signal and cause problems; but, I really don't know much about OTA or set top boxes that allow recording like TIVO.

If there are cool, RELIABLE gizmos that improve the OTA experience, I would appreciate any info on that to help me make a decision.

This signal will be used with a Vizio 75 in class TV. I assume you can hook up the coax antenna wire to an HDMI adapter input. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help in advance.
With antennas, mount as high as you can go! Seriously. You might even get channels from Bryan/College Station or San Antonio (on a good day). I live near the Missouri City towers, and have my antenna up pretty high. Every so often, I can re-scan and pick up Victoria or if I rotate my antenna, I can sometimes pick up Beaumont. It's nice to have more options for stations - it opens up more football games. It's not guaranteed you'll get Austin, but you never know unless you try. Good luck!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Anybody getting lower than normal signal strength out of 11.1 lately. I’ve never had issues with KHOU before the last couple of months. I don’t get much signal break up, but their strength is just way lower than the other VHF channels. Probably once every couple of weeks, I just can’t pick up the channel at all for an hour or two. Then it comes back at full strength in the 90%. Later it will be back down in the 60s.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Given the lack of non-rerun programming, I haven't been recording very much on 11.1. Just checked this morning and my signal strength is 86, SNR is 90, and Sym quality is 100. In other words, all good. I'm 7 miles from the transmitter.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I’m in Kingwood, and my signal strength on 11 is up and down. I would assume I’d have up and down reception 8 and 13, but I don’t. Weird.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks! That did the trick! Missed that info to move to 11-11. Thanks again.

·
Registered
242 Posts
What about 20.1? I did a rescan. The channel never used to break up. Lately, signal strength is all over the place.

·
Registered
242 Posts
20.1 back to normal strength with 100% signal quality. My wife’s Sony never had a problem with 20.1. My LG OLED had major problems for a few days. No explanation.

·
Registered
242 Posts
20.1 breaking up again! What’s up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
CBS in Houston is now on 11.11 instead of 11.1 do a rescan

Anybody getting lower than normal signal strength out of 11.1 lately. I’ve never had issues with KHOU before the last couple of months. I don’t get much signal break up, but their strength is just way lower than the other VHF channels. Probably once every couple of weeks, I just can’t pick up the channel at all for an hour or two. Then it comes back at full strength in the 90%. Later it will be back down in the 60s.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
CBS in Houston is now on 11.11 instead of 11.1 do a rescan
No, 11.11 is just the simulcast on KTBU's RF 33 signal to benefit those who don't have a VHF capable antenna to get KHOU's RF 11 signal:
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=28324#station

KHOU's main signal is still 11.1 on RF 11, along with 11.2 Bounce, 11.3 Justice, 11.4 Quest and 11.5 Circle:
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=34529#station

·
Registered
242 Posts
11.1 breaks up for me now occasionally. I’ve had my antenna set up since 2016 and this year is the first year their signal strength and quality has dipped to make drop outs happen. Is KHOU leasing their signal to cell phone carriers making their OTA VHF signals a little weaker? None of my other VHF channels give me trouble.

·
Registered
214 Posts
11.1 breaks up for me now occasionally. I’ve had my antenna set up since 2016 and this year is the first year their signal strength and quality has dipped to make drop outs happen. Is KHOU leasing their signal to cell phone carriers making their OTA VHF signals a little weaker? None of my other VHF channels give me trouble.
No, the closest cellular frequency is former channel 38 (~600MHz), while channel 11 is all the way down in ~200MHz.

6321 - 6340 of 6356 Posts