AVS Forum banner

6341 - 6356 of 6356 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
CBS in Houston is now on 11.11 instead of 11.1 do a rescan
RC....I am also in KW. I have had 2.1 and 11.1 come and go. I currently have a Mohu 50 "Pad" antenna...Does fairly well, but getting ready to install (when the darn attic is NOT 143 degrees..:)) the Clearstream 4V in my attic. Given I'm going to be using a 50' coax and dual splitter to run to an additional TV, I'm going to add the "Juice" Pre-Amp. Also, I bought the Insignia Digital to Analog converter box at BestBuy for the primary TV in my family room because it has a HDMI out to my surround sound A/V receiver (I use the Receivers tuners vs the crap ones on the TV's). I'll post how it turns out. If you would like to discuss/compare, feel free to reach out to me and we can exchange email addresses. Jon

·
Registered
2 Posts
11.1 breaks up for me now occasionally. I’ve had my antenna set up since 2016 and this year is the first year their signal strength and quality has dipped to make drop outs happen. Is KHOU leasing their signal to cell phone carriers making their OTA VHF signals a little weaker? None of my other VHF channels give me trouble.

RC....I am also in KW. I have had 2.1 and 11.1 come and go. I currently have a Mohu 50 "Pad" antenna...Does fairly well, but getting ready to install (when the darn attic is NOT 143 degrees..:)) the Clearstream 4V in my attic. Given I'm going to be using a 50' coax and dual splitter to run to an additional TV, I'm going to add the "Juice" Pre-Amp. Also, I bought the Insignia Digital to Analog converter box at BestBuy for the primary TV in my family room because it has a HDMI out to my surround sound A/V receiver (I use the Receivers tuners vs the crap ones on the TV's). I'll post how it turns out. If you would like to discuss/compare, feel free to reach out to me and we can exchange email addresses. Jon

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good luck! My attic antenna set up is a UHF Channelmaster 4221 and a VHF Stellar Labs 30-2475 connected with a Stellar Labs signal combiner. Signal is distributed with a CM 3414 distributer/amplifier. I’ve been up and running since 2016 after cutting the D* cord.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am in KW too and have same issue receiving CW-39.1. There are no issues with reception for the other major channels including CBS 11.1. The signal drops to 0 occasionally and then fluctuates widely between 86% peak and 40%.

IMG_0686[1].JPG

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am in KW too and have same issue receiving CW-39.1. There are no issues with reception for the other major channels including CBS 11.1. The signal drops to 0 occasionally and then fluctuates widely between 86% peak and 40%.

View attachment 3033249
39.1 has always been the strongest reception in KW. Maybe your 39.1 signal is too strong. I had that happen years ago with other UHF stations with a different antenna setup when I lived closer to transmitting towers in Missouri City, and I had to buy a signal attenuator to control signal overload.

·
Registered
4 Posts
39.1 has always been the strongest reception in KW. Maybe your 39.1 signal is too strong. I had that happen years ago with other UHF stations with a different antenna setup when I lived closer to transmitting towers in Missouri City, and I had to buy a signal attenuator to control signal overload.
I am an engineer at one of the stations and sometimes have viewers call in wondering why their reception went to crap after installing an amp. Usually they are way too close to the tower (Sugar Land, Pearland, most of SW Houston, etc.) to even need an amp, but some installer insisted they needed it when they had their antenna installed (more $$$ for them). If you amp an already hot digital signal too much then it just becomes a noisy signal most tuners can not decode. If it is hot without an amp, putting an attenuator pad on the line usually helps. A splitter will work as a decent pad also in some cases.

·
Registered
28 Posts
rcbtaw
K5BES
Thanks for all your inputs. The problem turned out to be a bad cable run from the antenna (y).
All of the UHF stations are now coming in at 100% and the high VHF (Channels 8.1, 11.1 and 13.1) are now coming in at around 70%. This is a direct run from the antenna to the TV without an amp. I am happy with the results with the new cable.

·
Registered
212 Posts
How you fellers doing? I just set my antenna up out here in Mont Belvieu and I'm getting strong signal strengths (80+) to 2 tvs with my RCA ANT751R. I'm 44 miles from the towers here. It's been a few years since i had an antenna and i noticed CBS now broadcasts their main station on uhf channel 11.11, which is great for those who can't pick up their high vhf main channel. Hulu with live tv's price hike prompted me to cut the cord again and put up an antenna. I highly recommend the RCA ANT751R for the Houston area as it's good for both uhf and high vhf.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Before I was clued into 11.11, I was beginning to have problems with 11.1. I was starting to pull slightly lower signal strength from 11.1 causing picture/sound break ups. I hadn’t switched anything with my set up (separate attic mounted uhf and vhf antennas joined with a combiner). Always wondered why problems were only occurring on 11.1 and not on the other vhf stations. Whatever the reason, I am back to pulling in 11.1 at close to 90%. I will never understand why signal strengths vary from time to time. I am also amazed at how much I stress when signals aren’t perfect. I guess I am just worried the problems originate on my end.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi everyone,
is anyone having problems with Channel 13 lately, there are three tvs in my home that can't get channel 13 but only one tv in the back of the house can still get channel 13. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? thank you

·
Registered
242 Posts
How is your reception on 11.1 and 8.1?

·
Registered
242 Posts
The things we do for OTA

Reactions: sallymustang
6341 - 6356 of 6356 Posts