AVS Forum banner

6361 - 6380 of 6384 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks!

So once installed, does any TV attached to the antenna receive the same channel at the same time or would I be able view different channels in different TVs throughout the house?
This will be my first time using an attic antenna, so forgive the dumb questions.
You can watch different channels on each TV.

I do agree on purchasing a distro amp to use on more than one TV. The 3414 is also what I use and is a good one. I have not had any dropouts with VHF stations with my antenna, but I am in the Sugar Land area, not Kingwood.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Different televisions can be tuned to different stations at the same time. Two things: I have the CM4221 recommended above. It is a UHF antenna. I had problems in Kingwood receiving VHF stations (PBS, CBS, ABC) without signal drops. I had to get a VHF antenna and combine the signal with a signal combiner. If I had to do it again, I’d buy a VHF/UHF antenna. #2: I’d buy the Channelmaster 3414 signal amplifier/distributed if sending signals to multiple TVs. It does have to be plugged in so you will need an outlet near by. My antennas are in my attic. I had an outlet near where the antennas were mounted. My cable runs are all about 100 feet to the TVs.
You can watch different channels on each TV.

I do agree on purchasing a distro amp to use on more than one TV. The 3414 is also what I use and is a good one. I have not had any dropouts with VHF stations with my antenna, but I am in the Sugar Land area, not Kingwood.
Do you have the antenna inside an attic or outside? I plan to use it inside an attic. Any issues there?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Do you have the antenna inside an attic or outside? I plan to use it inside an attic. Any issues there?
Mine are in the attic.

When I first put the CM4221 up in 2016, I experienced signal dropouts. I moved it to a better location in attic and it worked like a champ for UHF. If there’s any problem with reception, move it and try again. Mine is zip tied to an attic truss. That made it easy to fine tune the best direction. Just don’t tighten the zip ties all the way. You can move it slightly checking for the best signal strength. Antennaweb.org said I should aim at 207 degrees but my 4221 gets better reception at about 209. UHF antennas don’t have to be perfectly aligned. If you decide to go with a VHF capable antenna, I have found mine to have to be pretty exactly pointed at the recommended 207 degrees for best reception. I have that one mounted on a small pole that is screwed to the base of a truss with the antenna’s included bracket. Again, don’t be afraid to move your antenna around the attic for best results.

Last, be sure your cable runs are with RG-6. I helped a friend put a Winegard UHF/VHF antenna up with existing cable runs that I figured out was older RG-59. Lots of signal loss with that stuff. We had to change it all. I think you’d have to have a much older house for that to be a problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine is in the attic. The only real issue you may run into is if your attic has the radiant barrier in it. That will reduce the signal greatly. Mine does have the spray-on type, but I am close enough to the antenna farm to where the signal is still good enough. The radiant barrier foil or sheets will have a worse effect on the signal.

If you do have a radiant barrier, I would recommend doing a tempoary setup up there first just to see how the reception is. Otherwise, you may need to place it outside.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Pics of my attic set up. Last pic is the uhf/vhf signal combiner.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
My mom watches Gunsmoke on Channel 2.2 in the Houston area from 12 noon to 1 pm and right before the show ends on Channel 2.2 turns off and then my mom turns the tv off and turns the tv back on. Does anyone around here have any ideas about why this is happening? Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
My mom watches Gunsmoke on Channel 2.2 in the Houston area from 12 noon to 1 pm and right before the show ends on Channel 2.2 turns off and then my mom turns the tv off and turns the tv back on. Does anyone around here have any ideas about why this is happening? Thank you
What do you mean by "2.2 turns off"? Do you loose the signal? Is the TV shutting off? Something else?

Is this happening with other channels at around the same time?

·
Registered
21 Posts
What do you mean by "2.2 turns off"? Do you loose the signal? Is the TV shutting off? Something else?

Sorry, Channel 2.2 loose the signal, No, the TV is not shutting off. No it's not happening with the other channels around the same time.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Channel 2.2 did it again today and my mother said that Channel 2.2 is moving to Channel 51.1 by the end of this month.IDK. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Last year MeTV's owner Weigel purchased several full power stations from HC2 including KYAZ and will be moving their networks there so they can use its must carry status to get MeTV satellite carriage locally, and bring its HD feed to Houston.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Channel 2.2 did it again today and my mother said that Channel 2.2 is moving to Channel 51.1 by the end of this month.IDK. Thank you for your help.
What exactly happened? I know they are doing some prep work to move it to 51, so there might have been a few very brief disruptions in the video/audio.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Last year MeTV's owner Weigel purchased several full power stations from HC2 including KYAZ and will be moving their networks there so they can use its must carry status to get MeTV satellite carriage locally, and bring its HD feed to Houston.
Exactly. Start TV is also Weigel and is moving for 2.4 to 2.2.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What exactly happened? I know they are doing some prep work to move it to 51, so there might have been a few very brief disruptions in the video/audio.
The Channel 2.2 just goes black mid day but the TV is still on. There is just a black screen and no sound and it only does this for a few moments.

·
Registered
231 Posts
sallymustang, I've been reading your comments about KPRC's 2.2 channel (MeTV). What you are describing sounds like sun fade, which can happen to signals being pulled from a C-band satellite. MeTV is on satellite at 101 degrees in the arc of satellites (name of satellite is SES 1). IF this is the case, there's nothing a TV viewer can do and they just have to wait out the season. The problem should go away in a few more weeks.

Long story short - in the Spring and Fall, when the Earth is tilting and we observe the seasons changing, at the high point of the day (around noon to early afternoon), the Sun gets almost directly behind the satellite (101 degrees). When that happens, it interferes with the satellite signal and the signal can drop out. The broadcaster (KPRC) is still broadcasting a signal but they have temporarily lost the satellite feed for Me TV, so what the viewer ends up seeing is a black screen. Some broadcast equipment will even put up a "No Signal" on the screen that comes from the satellite receiver. When TV broadcasters can get away from using C-band signals as the delivery method and switch to fiber (if available from the provider), this is one problem that goes away. I know that this explanation doesn't "fix" the problem or provide any solution that you can do to get around it. It really sounds like this is what is going on.

The only way that the parent broadcaster can fix the problem for MeTV from the satellite, as well as it's sister channels, is to move them to a different satellite that isn't effected by the seasonal Sun fade. But then that would effect everyone in the chain (TV broadcasters such as KPRC). That would require engineers relocating satellite dishes to the new satellite location.

For the record, I have C-band equipment installed in my home and I typically see this happen to the southernmost C-band satellites every Spring and Fall.

Reactions: sallymustang

·
Registered
21 Posts
sallymustang, I've been reading your comments about KPRC's 2.2 channel (MeTV). What you are describing sounds like sun fade, which can happen to signals being pulled from a C-band satellite. MeTV is on satellite at 101 degrees in the arc of satellites (name of satellite is SES 1). IF this is the case, there's nothing a TV viewer can do and they just have to wait out the season. The problem should go away in a few more weeks.

Long story short - in the Spring and Fall, when the Earth is tilting and we observe the seasons changing, at the high point of the day (around noon to early afternoon), the Sun gets almost directly behind the satellite (101 degrees). When that happens, it interferes with the satellite signal and the signal can drop out. The broadcaster (KPRC) is still broadcasting a signal but they have temporarily lost the satellite feed for Me TV, so what the viewer ends up seeing is a black screen. Some broadcast equipment will even put up a "No Signal" on the screen that comes from the satellite receiver. When TV broadcasters can get away from using C-band signals as the delivery method and switch to fiber (if available from the provider), this is one problem that goes away. I know that this explanation doesn't "fix" the problem or provide any solution that you can do to get around it. It really sounds like this is what is going on.

The only way that the parent broadcaster can fix the problem for MeTV from the satellite, as well as it's sister channels, is to move them to a different satellite that isn't effected by the seasonal Sun fade. But then that would effect everyone in the chain (TV broadcasters such as KPRC). That would require engineers relocating satellite dishes to the new satellite location.

For the record, I have C-band equipment installed in my home and I typically see this happen to the southernmost C-band satellites every Spring and Fall.
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
13 Posts

Agreed. I work for one of the stations (not going to say which one publicly), but around this time of year sun fade is common, especially on our sub channels (.2, etc). It usually only lasts a few minutes, but viewers will see usually see black when this happens.

Our main .1 network Ku feed comes in on a much larger dish and this typically causes that one to have less issues with sun or rain fade, but it can even happen with that one on rare ocassions. The main feed also has a C-Band backup that is more resistant to rain fade. I am waiting for the day when they start sending us primary or backup feeds over IP. Surprised they have not yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
MeTV is moving to 51.1 on Monday. Azteca America will be on channel 51.3:
https://www.metv.com/wheretowatch/affiliate/618
https://aztecaamerica.com/2021/03/26/atencion-houston-nos-mudamos-al-canal-51-3/

According to Gracenote/Zap2it, KPRC is moving StartTV from 2.4 to 2.2, which will expand its availability on some cable providers that don't carry all of KPRC's subchannels.
That is correct. The move happens at 4AM Monday morning. One of the main reasons for the move was so that MeTV would be considered "must-carry" for cable/sat providers. It also is so they could go HD.

6361 - 6380 of 6384 Posts