AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in an article a while ago, or rather I started to read, about how on DVD's today there isn't enough room to fit an entire 5.1 soundtrack. I can't, for the life of me, remember what magazine it was. I want to say it was DVD etc., but looked and can't find it.


If anybody knows where it was, or any websites that will help me, I would greatly appreciate it.



TIA


Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
Why would you want to know the whereabouts of such a ridiculous article?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because it peaked my curosity :D


Maybe I should elaborate a bit more. It started to say something about how the Entire soundtrack wont fit so it only has about 20% (or something like that) and the Surround processor processes the info and adds the other 80%. But then I may be wrong on that since I didn't get to read the entire article.


Thats why I am looking for it. It was in one of the HT magazines. I was DVD ETC, but can't seem to find it.




Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,137 Posts
Probably right.


Dolby digital and DTS both use lossy compression to reduce the size of the audio tracks down to something that'll fit on a DVD.


Other types of lossy compression:


JPEG (still images)

MP3 (audio)


Kal
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top