AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the NorCal Bay Area in the South Bay part of Alameda (Fremont).

I recently purchased a NEC LT240K, which is stunning paired with a F NRS. (my brain has filtered out the rainbows, as much as it could).

I'm thinking maybe house hops to different setups. Any one else interested?

My place could probably sit 5-7 people with no off-angle viewing issues, but a shoot-out would be optimally scheduled during the late afternoon to dusk, since my living room would not have any sun streaming through.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Before I get flamed, I know there was a 185 post message for a Bay Area shootout, but nothing happened.

I would be willing to scope out a staging area where we all can bring our projectors and do a mini-INFOCOMM ...

Many people are up for it, but before I start renting out some area, it would be nice to get some solid commitments, and maybe a little help to organize ...

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
miked510,

This not a flame but two of the folks in that previous thread did organize a small shootout at my house between an X1 and a Z1. We had about 12 people here and had a good time.

I did not find that there was a lot of interest in the event, however. I had expected a lot of response and was planning on scheduling more events. Perhaps more projectors, and higher priced ones, would have increased the interest level.

My suggestion is to decide where and when with a small nucleus of projectors and then invite people. I think it is a mistake to go back and forth too many times negotiating the date.

I would like to attend if you get something going. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
25,374 Posts
Mike,

I'm definitely interested. I don't have a pj to offer, but can chip for pizza (or burritos, the best in Silicon Valley are right around the corner).

"I did not find that there was a lot of interest in the event, however."

I'd have been interested if I'd known about it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm in for $20. And a bottle of 2 buck chuck. We're south of Napa after all.

·
Registered
15,184 Posts
MikeD,

I'm in Berkeley and am interested, especially if it is "mid-Bay" and epecially if there is a Benq in attendance. There's a guy named "robber" also from Fremont and he just picked up a Benq (I was asking him about coming down to have a look) - perhaps we could contact him and see if he'd be interested as well...

-fafrd

p.s. had a Sharp M20X but it is no longer with me, so I have no projector to offer

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, We have three. One is a NEC, a Benq (maybe), and either a X1 or Z1. I have a buddy in Sunnyvale who has a D-ILA.

How about Oct 11th, for a mini-shootout? Anyone with a LCoS ? there also a guy named Andy nearby, I think he mentioned he has a NEC also.

Why did this thread move to the 5k+ forum ??

Was the arrow wrong? ??

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith
miked510,

We had about 12 people here and had a good time.

I did not find that there was a lot of interest in the event, however. I had expected a lot of response and was planning on scheduling more events. Perhaps more projectors, and higher priced ones, would have increased the interest level.

I would like to attend if you get something going. Good luck.
I really would like to get something going because I have a new NEC 240K and a F NRS, and a older copy of VE, which collectively I would like to see if we can squeeze a darn good picture out of this setup.

I think I trust my eyes enough, but if you could recommend someone that can hook up with me before our agreed get together, I would like to see if I can get my setup calibrated.

If anyone is ISF-trained nearby, I would not mind spending some money to get the best performance out of my gear. After all I would like to put my best foot forward if I'm inviting people over for a mini-shootout.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by miked510
Okay, We have three. One is a NEC, a Benq (maybe), and either a X1 or Z1. I have a buddy in Sunnyvale who has a D-ILA.

How about Oct 11th, for a mini-shootout? Anyone with a LCoS ? there also a guy named Andy nearby, I think he mentioned he has a NEC also.

Why did this thread move to the 5k+ forum ??

Was the arrow wrong? ??
Odd post here Mike

Maybe I'm still speepy and missing something

Most of these PJ's are below $5k

I offered my SX21 and you asked if anyone has a LCOS

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will be very interested. I am a true newbie in search of a projector to buy. Have been reading this forum for a few days but not sure which projector to get. Was thinking about HT1000 or the JVC SX21 from AVS before end of this week (rebate and sale end this week)but I think I should wait and see them in person first.

I have no equipment to offer but I can bring food or help pay for a place to rent?

Thanks,

ron

·
Registered
247 Posts
HI mike

I to am looking to get a pj By the end of oct. I can offer the rock pro video processors and the digilink sdi dvd player. If you like you can pm me. TIME FOR BOYS TO PLAY

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Holloway
Odd post here Mike

Maybe I'm still speepy and missing something

Most of these PJ's are below $5k

I offered my SX21 and you asked if anyone has a LCOS

Rob
Exactly - this post was moved from under 5k to over 5k forum. Did I type the wrong arrow ... I thought >5k meant less than 5k. So this post got moved to 5k+ forum.

No biggie, since I hope to attract the bigger priced guys, but I hope that anyone reading this thread understands that we're referring to portables that we can easily carry. There are some HT shops locally that might host us. I'm still checking ... Depending on thier schedules, that would be our shoot-out date ...

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
I'm in Benicia and just got an HT1000 I could bring, assuming I can make the date. I'll monitor the thread for more details.

Tom

·
Premium Member
25,374 Posts
Mike,

How's light control/room color at your place? I have a 30-yd bolt of black velvet I could bring to rig up a shadowbox.

> means "greater than" because the arrow is bigger on the left than the right

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Tom,

I'm in Vallejo just picked up a Infocus 5700 for my new dedicated HT. (110"firehawk) Care for northbay shoot out at my home just give me pm.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Rob: Do you know anyone with an LCOS that could bring it?

:) :) :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Why not make the > real? Invite some of the folks who hang out at this forum to participate. I'm not really interested in a portable, but the HT1000 and the LCOS caught my eye.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DrEduard
Hey Tom,

I'm in Vallejo just picked up a Infocus 5700 for my new dedicated HT. (110"firehawk) Care for northbay shoot out at my home just give me pm.
The Firehawk is compelling - since I don't have one.

Do you want to lock in a date, and we'll change the venue to Vallejo - I can lug my LT240k and F NRS up there ...

I would personally would like to see a HT1000 and 240k side by side, since they are cousins ... And compare a Infocus, plus:

Quote:
Originally posted by RobHolloway
If I can make the date

I'll bring a Bravo DVD, a JVC SX21 and Noah's ISCOII lens

Rob
and:

Quote:
I'm in Berkeley and am interested, especially if it is "mid-Bay" and epecially if there is a Benq in attendance. There's a guy named "robber" also from Fremont and he just picked up a Benq (I was asking him about coming down to have a look) - perhaps we could contact him and see if he'd be interested as well...

-fafrd
Let me hurry up and activate a PM ...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by noah katz
Mike,

How's light control/room color at your place? I have a 30-yd bolt of black velvet I could bring to rig up a shadowbox.

Light control is poor, hence my earlier suggestion of late afternoon or dusk, when the sun isn't streaming in at full-tilt ...

There was a suggestion of getting a ColorFacts at the shootout. At least there's some way we can numerically guage performances, instead of counting the "ooooh's" and "aaah's"

I think that would be a good idea - if the rental is compelling for all of us to consider chipping in ... and if time permits calibrate some of the pjs on the spot ...

1 - 20 of 193 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.