AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 years in the making & ready for volume production last autumn! This thing is DEFINITELY on my watch list! Maybe not affordable at first but who knows what the future brings. I wonder how far they've gone?

Just imagine a 100" LCD display in 3-D WITHOUT the glasses! I know it sounds impossible for a 100"r but after so long in development these guys just scored BIG. I'm sure that anything is possible from here on.

http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/OEG20020927S0031

P.S. Sorry if it has been posted before but I have never read such an invention.

Here is a recent release of a Sharp Notebook featuring a 3-D display!
http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/030911.html

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the technique can't be projected because it's relying on a physical feature of the lcd panel to achieve the 3d image. You can buy displays like this already (have been for a year or 2 actually), here's a big list of all the ones out there already:
3d displays

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Pretty exciting, especially if a whole host of companies can agree upon a standard. I think Chris was referring to using this in big LCD displays, not projectors.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I saw one of the 3D Sharp displays at CES 2003. If you think rainbows are bad, wow, that thing made my head hurt in no time. I hope they've made it better.

I just ordered one of the Sensio systems to do 3D on my 116" wide screen. That one didn't bother me.

--Darin

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yeah I think the biggest hurdle for 3d stuff is some kind of standard, theres actually lots of ways to do 3d imaging now but until we pick one and standardize it it'll all be fairly specialized.

If I were to choose a particular technology that should be chosen as something that's worth persuing I would choose this one:
Volumetric 3d Display

I think the other problem is how do you make a movie or show in 3d? Technologically it would be fairly easy to do with something like pixar's stuff, but the whole thinking behind directing has to change somewhat even for animations.

It seems like to me that sets for a volumetric movie would be incredibly tricky, and then how do you make sure as a director that the viewer sees what you want them to see, when you're not guaranteed at what angle they're seeing it?

Anyhow interesting stuff, but it doesn't seem like we're anywhere close to that stuff becoming main stream anytime soon.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sisaacs
I think the other problem is how do you make a movie or show in 3d? Technologically it would be fairly easy to do with something like pixar's stuff, but the whole thinking behind directing has to change somewhat even for animations.
Sensio does mention someplace on their site that things like Shrek and Toy Story could be converted. I know that the 4:3 version of Bug's Life was remastered to bring the characters closer together. It will be interesting to see if Sensio releases (or gets the studio to release) any of the already released mainstream animations as 3D titles.

--Darin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.