AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. First off, great program. I love using it and look forward to future versions.

I'm wondering if you ever considered adding a "To Do" list feature. I have many channels defined on my ReplayTV and sometimes those channels overlap without my knowledge. For example, I get home expecting to watch an episode of Star Trek only to find my ReplayTV decided to record another show which happened to run at the same time.

With a "To Do" feature, you could display a list of upcoming shows the ReplayTV unit plans to record including their channels, show descriptions, and planned recording dates/times. This feature could be added as a new window pane to the window where you currently show a list of shows/channels on the ReplayTV now and a list of what has been recorded in the past.

Thanks.

Gus :D

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I see you're a new member so I'll go easy on you. A ToDo feature has probably been the most requested enhancement to the Replay system since the very beginning. A quick search would reveal that. We were hoping that they would have it in the 4K series. We were wrong.

If you're a TivoTroll you're beating a dead horse. And most of us Replay users would not even consider going Tivo to have a To Do list.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
A ToDo feature has probably been the most requested enhancement to the Replay system since the very beginning.

If you're a TivoTroll you're beating a dead horse. And most of us Replay users would not even consider going Tivo to have a To Do list.
Ah, "To Do"; how TiVo!

Actually ReplayTV has a type of programming algorithm which is said to work "on the fly". It may not be practical to have a "To Do" list with ReplayTV's system.

ReplayTV's programming search algorithm is not as predictable as TiVo's and may be ReplayTV's greatest feature disadvantage when compared with TiVo. Unfortunately changing it may mean changing ReplayTV's system completely.

Depending on your scheduling requirements you may or may not find using ReplayTV's system a significant handicap. Even DrStrange, an extremely heavy TiVo user who ridicules ReplayTV's system, has said ReplayTV is better than TiVo in certain obscure scheduling situations.

Troll is in the eye of the beholder. I've been called a troll at both this Forum and TiVo's. But not by everybody!

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arjay

Troll is in the eye of the beholder. I've been called a troll at both this Forum and TiVo's. But not by everybody!
So enlighten me, are you admitting to having posted under the gcollazo moniker?

And I don't consider the Replay scheduling system to be a handicap. It works well for me and, coupled with the TVSMS (TV Schedule Management System) I created in Lotus Notes long before PVRs were a gleam in any enterpreneur's eye, I know exactly what my 3 Replays are going to do and when.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
...I've been called a troll at both this Forum and TiVo's. But not by everybody!
I've said it before and I'll say it again... arjay is not a troll. I don't think he's a troll anywhere I run into him. In fact I think he does about the best job of anyone hanging out everywhere and gleaning the significance from all the discussions.

I can't believe anyone is voting "no" on this! The ToDooDoo list isn't needed with the Replay setup. We can see what's going on both visually in the guide and also in the ReplayGuide (for some 99 percent of guaranteed events) but that said, I sure don't see how it can hurt?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
...I sure don't see how it can hurt?
Amen

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
So enlighten me, are you admitting to having posted under the gcollazo moniker?

And I don't consider the Replay scheduling system to be a handicap. It works well for me and, coupled with the TVSMS (TV Schedule Management System) I created in Lotus Notes long before PVRs were a gleam in any enterpreneur's eye, I know exactly what my 3 Replays are going to do and when.
Never posted at AVS Forums (or anywhere else) under any other handle than arjay. As you can see my post count here is under my original AVS membership. I was inactive long enough to have to reregister when the TiVo Forum changed servers.

Arjay spells out my first and last initials. I don't trust the internet anymore than anyone but wouldn't it be a nice fantasy if everyone posted using their real names and was totally forthright all the time. Imagine!

Your comments regarding ReplayTV's scheduling and the TVSMSystem reinforce my thoughts that ReplayTV is well suited for niche users and may have a strong appeal for others but may not be the product which garners the biggest SA market share.

TiVo is, IMHO, overly focused on using its service in a PC way while ReplayTV is less focused but trying to appeal to a computer oriented relatively affluent young demographic as do SB products generally.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I've learned that it is immpossible to have a "to do" list with replaytv, but I can't believe that half the people that voted don't want a "to do" list.

Why not? Why are you against a to do list? Maybe they like the surprises that show up in the replay guide.

It would be cool to have, but I can live with out it. I chose replay over tivo for other reasons. Mostly the look of the interface, the remote, and no subscription fee. -mk

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
...ReplayTV is less focused but trying to appeal to a computer oriented relatively affluent young demographic as do SB products generally.
That's probably true arjay... but we have the cash for em and we do want em! So certainly nothing wrong with marketing to a segment that both "needs" and "will purchase", and I wouldn't put any age limit on it either.

As to why anyone would vote against ToDooDoo here, perhaps they are shell shocked from TroLLo attempts make an issue of it? Or just voting against TroLLo?? Hmmm... maybe Trollo are throwing the poll because they don't want us to get one?

While it's true we aren't in need of it but might as well put one in anyway... to quote KenL:
Quote:
...I sure don't see how it can hurt?
(Just say yes to 2DooDoo?)

Ok... well we can just call ours the Replay Up n' Coming Calendar (RUNCC) Zone?? :cool::cool:

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Well I don't think we'ill ever get it on the old ones... but I don't think it would be that difficult to implement something like it on the 4/4.5/5K?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:

Never posted at AVS Forums (or anywhere else) under any other handle than arjay.
Uh oh. Can't tell a lie. Just thought of it! (I chopped down that cherry tree!)

It's ancient history now but I did use the handle "Joe Sixpak" a few times and "Elvis P at least once at AVS and another handle a few times at another site.

Wonder if they still work?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
arjay did you vote against ToDooDoo?
Joe is apparently poor, earnest, and hardworking but Elvis is out of a job.

Me? Who Do What with Doo Doo? (So much to do so little time!)

(I post but never (hardly ever?) vote in straw polls.)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
So Elvis is the one who didn't vote? Elvis has left the building?

Well maybe we can increase voter turnout?

Looks as if ToDooDoo (RUNCC Zone) has pulled ahead barely! :cool:

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:

Ah, "To Do"; how TiVo!
Well I think it's all in how you frame the question. "To Do" does have high negatives around here. It's a little less threatening if we couch it in more ReplayCentric terminology like Zimbabwe or RUNCC Zone.

2DooDoo... it's not as impossible as you'd think!

Of course I've always felt these informal straw polls are easily swayed by last minute campaigning?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the "replay guide" a to do list of sorts? It shows everything you have set to be recorded.

I can get all the information I need from that. I don't see what a to do list would add except maybe a different way of looking at the same information.

My main gripe with ReplayTV scheduling is that I pretty much always want it to "pad" with a minute before and after shows, but you can't set that as a default record option. I'd even be happy if they just made it easier to add padding, right now you have to navigate through the record options menu to the more options sub menu.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Roy said
Quote:
... isn't the "replay guide" a to do list of sorts? It shows everything you have set to be recorded.

I can get all the information I need from that. I don't see what a to do list would add except maybe a different way of looking at the same information.
First, I think the name should be something more meaningful than ToDo (more like, "Scheduled Recordings" which is absolutely non-catchy but actually lets you know what it means). Second, I would make it look JUST LIKE the channel guide except it would have the top line be 1st priority, 2nd line 2nd priority, etc. As you scroll forwards (and backwards to see why Alias didn't record) you see the channel prepended to the program title with scrolling just like you do in the program guide.

As far as I can tell, it shouldn't be a difficulty doing this with Replay's "on the fly" conflict resolution--it can simply save what the conflict resolutions were for the time that has passed and calculate conflict resolution at the present, move forward until it has a match, jump to the end of that match, move forward again, etc.

One big plus they could build into the Scheduled Recordings section is the option to move something's importance up or down (so you can force the shows you care about to copy instead of the ones you aren't as keen on) with a press of a button.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.