AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, that would be really helpful for those of us that don't know what the hell we're doing when it comes to digital media distribution, et al. I'm a total noob in this realm and hate to bother all of the seasoned pros and distract them from their otherwise stimulating conversations, but we noobs need a place to start! How about a chart that outlines what you want to do (distribute audio, video, room control, etc) and then outlines some of the equiment that you might need to fit those situations (servers, HTPC, software/hardware, cabling, RC, etc). I don't even know where to start (do I look at hard drives, sound cards, specialty gear (Roku et al) or what?), so I'm asking for help.

I'm looking primarily for audio (including SACD and DVD-A if that's possible), but the option to distribute video would be nice!

Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So lame to respond to my own post...but even lamer that nobody has started a FAQ or list of suggestions. :rolleyes:

I ended up picking up a media server to listen to catalogued music on our PC over a wireless network, but it turns out that it's a piece of ****e and we'll return it. The interface is terrible and it occasionally hangs (which is annoying beyond description). It would be really helpful to have a singular post that illustrates some of the differences between the popular units available and their common applications. I'm sure that many AVS'ers have cruised through a handful of units before finding one that met their needs, and those folks should contribute as well and save the noobs and rookies and idiots a lot of trouble and fumbling. Just a thought...

Jason

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'd be so surprised if you could see even basic consensus on these questions. For example, in my experience, people on very strong opinions on SqueezeBox 2 vs Roku, etc. And then, look at how people argue about Xbox Media Center.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.