Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi guys,

I just bought a JVC 30K and I am looking to start my collection of DVHS movies. Would those that already own some of these movies please post a LIST in order from best to worst picture quality of their DVHS movies? A rating from 1 to 10 next to the movie would also be really useful.

Here is a list of the titles I am most interested in but have not bought yet. I only have X-men and I would rate that a 9.5, the picture quality is amazing.

U-571

X-Men 9.5

GalaxyQuest

Glengarry Glenross

Fight Club

The Mummy

Ice Age

Daredevil

Cast Away

From Hell

Don't Say a Word

Phone Booth

Snow Falling on Cedars

Bone Collector

Planet of the Apes

The Haunting

The Time Machine

The Transporter

Beauty of Japan

Can you help me rate and rank these (and others of your choice) so that I can choose which order to buy them in?

Thanks,

Tag Man

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
There are numerous topics on this. Do a search and you will find what you seek. Also, widescreenreview.com has reviews of almost all the D-Theater tapes released and their reviews are a good guide to go by.

Pretty much everyone agrees that U-571 is the best of the best.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Matt,

Thanks for the info. I have already checked many of the previous posts, dvhsmovie, dvhsmovieguide, and widescreen review but I guess I just want info from actual DVHS owners. I am sure if people post their lists we can all come up with a consensus. It seems to me that U571, X-Men and Ice Age are three of the best titles for picture quality, but what about the rest of them?

Which titles are the worst for picture quality? That would be nice to know so that I can avoid them.

Thanks,

Tag Man

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
That and DIE HARD (which has a soft look due to the way it was filmed). The Peacemaker is a waste of money. Other than that, you should be happy with the quality.

·
Registered
472 Posts
--------One movie I have not seen mentioned in any of the D-VHS reviews (and not in the above request) is "High Crimes."

------- I bought it sight unseen just because I like Ashley Judd. The movie itself is not quite as good a "Double Jeopardy". Tommy Lee Jones adds so much to that one. That said, the picture quality is great. Better than ID-4. About on par with "The Transporter." I would say it has better PQ than "The Mummy."

-------I just got "Behind Enemy Lines" but haven't watched it yet. I did watch the DVD, (borrowed it from a friend), and thus ordered the D-VHS...... I thought it was better than many reviewers made it out to be............:cool: I'll post a PQ opinion as soon as I watch it.......

-------by the way, Tag Man, I asked the same question(s) several months ago. Matt is right, there are personal responses and opinions about the PQ and sound quality of the D-VHS releases. I wanted opinions from members and not sites. I'll try and find you some links..........

Regards, Tom B. :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Guys,

Thanks for the info. I will avoid Gosford Park, Die Hard and Peacemaker.

Anything else to avoid?

I have finally had a chance to see a few titles. I use a fairly large screen and a LT150 DLP projector. Here are my ratings thus far:

U-571 9.5

(Great video and audio!)

Glengary GlennRoss 9.0

(I was amazed by how great this movie looks for its age! Highly recommended!)

X-men 9.0

(Great video/audio)

Phone Booth 9.0

(Very sharp and detailed but colors are purposefully subued)

I have not been dissapointed with anything I have seen yet.

I have Daredevil, The Mummy, Cast Away and Fight Club on order. Can anyone comment on those before I get them?

I will post more ratings once I see more titles.

Tag Man

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys,

I am also considering the following titles. Any advance reviews would be helpful so that I can decide if I want to purchase them or not.

The Time Machine (I hear the movie sucks, but picture quality might be really good!)

Snow Falling on Cedars (Is it worth buying?)

Bone Collector (Never saw it, but I guess it is good picture quality!)

Don't Say a Word (I saw it and thought it was pretty good.)

The Haunting (I don't care that much for the movie, but is the picture quality make it worth buying?)

The Transporter (Never saw it, is it any good?)

GalaxyQuest (I liked the movie quite a bit)

Thanks in advance,

"Tag" man

·
Registered
313 Posts
Watched the Transporter last night.

Thought the picture and sound were awesome and i loved the film :)

Gets my vote..... 9/10

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Any one know where I can get a DVHS/D-Theater copy of U-571 ? Every where I look is sold out. :(

BTW: DareDevil watched last nite 8.5/10

The video and the 5.1 sound blow the Jones clan away

:D

·
Registered
13,195 Posts

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Thanks boss ;)

They are a bit pricey then the other sites I seen.........But that's supply and demand for ya :p

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Gosford Park is a great movie. If you don't have the dVD buy the D-Theater. No, it's not the greatest picture quality, but it's much better than the DVD. And again, it's a great film. Good movies is why we're into home theater - right folks?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chris,

I agree with you that Gosford Park is a great movie. However, I already own it on DVD and I find it hard to justify a purchase of the DVHS tape after so many people saying that the picture quality is only marginally better than the DVD.

TagMan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.